SUPER MARIO RPG REMAKE, update: "Expertly modernises a SNES classic" (Digital Foundry technical review)

Xbob42

So excited for this and honestly never thought this would happen. I always got the impression Nintendo wanted to distance the Mario IP from this game because of how different it is.

Love the arranged music, and the FMV cutscenes are a great throwback to that era.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I never played this and I didn’t like how the original looked even on release so this is fucking killllller

Super Mario RPG is excellent.  There's so many secrets and fun bits tucked away in every corner of it.  It's a "did you know you could do that?" sort of game.

• Halal 1

Shocked that it seems like a straight remake. I assume there will be some level of additional content or changes, but seems like they're being faithful to the original. Only complaint I have is the combat UI looks a little to clean/modern. I think the borders, font, etc, ought to be a bit more stylized.

12 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Shocked that it seems like a straight remake. I assume there will be some level of additional content or changes, but seems like they're being faithful to the original. Only complaint I have is the combat UI looks a little to clean/modern. I think the borders, font, etc, ought to be a bit more stylized.

I don't remember any % gauges in the original.  They might be doing something to combat.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

This and Super Mario Wonder via coupons sounds like a great way to spend $100

This might be my most expensive year of owning a Switch.  Xenoblade Future Redeemed, Zelda ToTK, Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG, Mario Wonder.  And that's if I cut things off.  I still want to pick up 3D Kirby and Mario Rabbids 2 from last year.

51 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The one complaint that I had was the shared MP. I remember thinking that was a thing in all RPGs and it turns out, nope, everyone has their own MP in RPGs.

12 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Hey, do you, but you’re missing one of the best Mario games out there.

also, theres no 3d Mario before the holidays. Literally zero chance.

I said NEXT holiday. I was kinda being sarcastic but I'm just not into this stuff anymore. I prefer a 3-D Mario that's for sure. I understand it will be a quality title for you guys. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I said NEXT holiday. I was kinda being sarcastic but I'm just not into this stuff anymore. I prefer a 3-D Mario that's for sure. I understand it will be a quality title for you guys. 

I could see not being into remakes.  But if you haven't played the original, everyone else here is right.  Can't really make an apples to apples comparison, but I'd put it on the level of a Mario Odyssey.  In some weird way that might be the closest thing to it, with all the secrets and easter eggs packed in.

40 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I could see not being into remakes.  But if you haven't played the original, everyone else here is right.  Can't really make an apples to apples comparison, but I'd put it on the level of a Mario Odyssey.  In some weird way that might be the closest thing to it, with all the secrets and easter eggs packed in.

No, I never played it. Who knows, I may change my mind around release. Nintendo makes phenomenal games so we shall see.