SUPER MARIO RPG REMAKE, update: "Expertly modernises a SNES classic" (Digital Foundry technical review)

Xbob42

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I mean, I'll agree there, I do the same. I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's "house" graphical art style - it looks nice but it's very simply and very clean but I'm not impressed graphically by it - it's very boring, like generic Pixar. Nintendo codes really solid games with few bugs or flaws but graphically it's whatever to me, probably personal preference. But I'm glad it looks good! 

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

• Haha 1

I think Nintendo’s art style is influenced by the hardware limitations of the Switch.  Having said that, I like the style and it typically pops on the OLED.  The style overall is very distinctive to its brand. It’s similar to how Sony’s first party have a similar look as well across games. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

I mean, artistically straightforward, simple and clean look is efficient and easy on the eyes, I get it. Like the Pixar house style, it's easy to look at and watch. But I find it very boring. My younger brother, who played Mario games, etc. until recently (unlike me who stopped after the GameCube) has also become bored of Nintendo's house style and as an adult is bored by how easy their games are so it's not just me. :p Obviously as adult men we're not the main demographic for these and I'm fine with that. 

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think Nintendo’s art style is influenced by the hardware limitations of the Switch.  Having said that, I like the style and it typically pops on the OLED.  The style overall is very distinctive to its brand. It’s similar to how Sony’s first party have a similar look as well across games. 

I won't disagree that it's because of the limitations and with the way it looks it definitely pops on the OLED but it is boring. Sony goes for "realistic" looking games, so those will share more DNA with each other but Nintendo's games are in a complete fantasy land, they could do whatever they wanted with each iteration of any their franchises. It's when they do things like Paper Mario-type games or stitching looking Yoshi-type games where I'll at least get mildly interested. :p 

It's a shame because when I was younger their games used to be harder too. I still struggle with Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. There's always Mario Map Maker created levels at least.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, artistically straightforward, simple and clean look is efficient and easy on the eyes, I get it. Like the Pixar house style, it's easy to look at and watch. But I find it very boring. My younger brother, who played Mario games, etc. until recently (unlike me who stopped after the GameCube) has also become bored of Nintendo's house style and as an adult is bored by how easy their games are so it's not just me. :p Obviously as adult men we're not the main demographic for these and I'm fine with that. 

You’re dead to me

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ain’t no buzz to kill here, you’re gonna love how it looks!

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, husband was watching a video comparison earlier and it looked pretty darn good. I never got an OLED Switch, but that's okay. Mario Wonder looks and runs great.

It looks great! TV or handheld mode. Enjoy!!!

The graphics are very good. They’re not current gen level “omgwtfbbq” but the visuals are very crisp and nothing looks low-poly or low-res, at all. The Switch is punching above it’s weight class here in terms of fidelity, and it’s achieving it because it’s using the same extremely small areas loaded per screen; just like the SNES game, it doesn’t continuously scroll the world on-screen, but loads pieces as tiny individual segments. Simply put: there’s not a whole lot going on at once, so all of the Switches resources can be maxed for those small areas. The cutscenes and boss introductions are both extremely impressive.

• Like 1