Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "Official Peacemaker Gameplay" trailer

Man this game is comin up fast! 

I think I will resign myself to getting this down the line when it is cheaper and has like the DLC characters in a package. But I really loved the last two. This year has just been so stacked with releases it’s a shame almost. I probably had the most success online with MK11 than I have with any other fighting game (which was still quite meager), but I am still enjoying street fighter and wanna focus on that for competitive play. 

• Hugs 1

mortal-kombat-1-omni-man-homelander.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

NetherRealm's Chief Creative Officer Ed Boon discusses how Mortal Kombat 1's take on Omni-Man and Homelander will differentiate the two.

One of the questions posed to the Mortal Kombat co-founder was regarding Homelander and Omni-Man, two "Superman-like" characters that seem to have a similar style being super strong, laser eyes, and the power to fly. With all these similarities, many were wondering how NetherRealm would be able to make them feel unique instead, to which Boon confirmed there is a plan in place to prevent them from playing like clones of one another or potentially too similar to what players got with NetherRealm's Injustice Superman.

Specifically, Boon mentioned that the studio is going to split up the abilities between both characters, giving some to Homelander and the rest to Omni-Man. Outside of those specific abilities, the main goal is to make them play differently which can be done through their main attacks, though Boon didn't elaborate further on that point. Regardless, NetherRealm developers are keenly aware of the assumption that many in the Mortal Kombat 1 fan base have in thinking that both characters are going to be the same and appear to be ready to prove them wrong.

14 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Man this game is comin up fast! 

I think I will resign myself to getting this down the line when it is cheaper and has like the DLC characters in a package. But I really loved the last two. This year has just been so stacked with releases it’s a shame almost. I probably had the most success online with MK11 than I have with any other fighting game (which was still quite meager), but I am still enjoying street fighter and wanna focus on that for competitive play. 

I hear you on the essentially "Ultimate" version down the road considering how stacked this fall is for sure.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 19 September 2023) - "It's In Our Blood" trailer featuring Dave Bautista
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 19 September 2023) - "Official Megan Fox Becomes Nitara" trailer
10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I hadn't seen that final roster page, thank you so much! OMFG IT IS GLORIOUS!

I rarely buy fighting games on launch because the base roster is usually disappointing even if it's one of my favorite series (AKI might get me into SFVI) but this roster is loaded.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 19 September 2023) - "Official Jean-Claude Van Damme" Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 19 September 2023) - "Official Launch Trailer"

Game Information

Game Title: Mortal Kombat 1

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 19, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 19, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 19, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Sep 19, 2023)

Developers: NetherRealm Studios, Shiver Entertainment, Saber Interactive, QLOC
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 90% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Dexerto - Andrew Highton - 5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 not only reboots its own universe but everything you know and love about fighting games. The way a story is told and how it’s presented. It shows that it listens to its fans and does so by refining its addictive gameplay with noticeable nuances and then slapping on a new Kameo system that serves as more of a game-changer than a game-breaker.

There is a ton of content to enjoy here and NetherRealm has peaked at the right time with fierce competition coming before and after its release. The team will have to test their might to supersede their own work from here on out.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 is one of the most fun and spectacular 3D fighting games of the last 10 or 15 years. The gameplay is extremely accessible for anyone to enjoy, but there is enough depth to be discovered to reward the most dedicated, even more so now with the Kameo. Combining this with its superb graphics and sound quality makes Mortal Kombat 1 a game of strong appeal to fans of the genre. Modes like Story, Invasion, and Towers mean strong single-player content and long hours of gameplay for lots of fun built with strong jig. If you want to embrace online, get ready for a lot of time in Practice mode and hundreds of hours of playing.

GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 is the most complete package I have ever seen in a fighting game. It is an excellent new chapter for returning fans and a great jumping-on point for new players. In this new golden era of fighting games, where more people are playing them than ever before, Mortal Kombat 1 is exactly what we need. A fighting game for everyone, and a beautiful reminder of why we play.

GamesRadar+ - Andi Hamilton - 5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 is a superbly presented fighting game with something to offer players of all experience and familiarity with NetherRealm's sprawling MK universe. The Kameo fighter system injects new strategic depth into combat, the rebooted timeline feeds a ridiculous story, and the suite of game modes are both varied and well made.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 10 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is exceptional, offering the best fighting the series has ever seen, with a thoroughly enjoyable story and Invasion mode.

DualShockers - AKU - 9.8 / 10

A visually stunning fighter with loads of fun single-player content, a combat system that encourages diversity, and an amazing but short story. DualShockers was provided with a copy of the game for review purposes.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 95 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 delivers one of the most impressive and exciting storylines I’ve ever experienced in this genre. The voice acting, the facial animations, everything comes together in near-perfect harmony. Fighting is fun, challenging, and rewarding every step of the way. Mortal Kombat 1 is brutally brilliant, and probably the best Mortal Kombat game I’ve ever played.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a joyful reinvention of a series that is continually hitting its stride. A strong and varied roster is bolstered by an ingenious Kameo system that offers up a great degree of player flexibility unlike anything else. While it's a bit off an odd choice to not have crossplay at launch and the approach to gear is bound to be divisive, Mortal Kombat 1 feels like the most complete Mortal Kombat experience so far. And perhaps even one of the best fighting games I've ever played.

Prima Games - Shaun Cichacki - 9.5 / 10

From the exquisitely designed stages that morph and meld as the combat reaches the highest points of the action to the revamped characters that you’ll find within this new version of the world, Mortal Kombat 1 may be my new personal favorite Mortal Kombat experience.

WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 9.5 / 10

NetherRealm Studios has scooped up all of their favourite toys and re-distributed them across the playroom in a way that has revivified the Mortal Kombat experience, birthing perhaps the most solid and enjoyable fighting game I have ever encountered.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 9.3 / 10

Violence has never looked as vivid, gorgeous, and wild as it is in Mortal Kombat 1. Its fighting mechanics remain just as approachable and appealing as prior entries, with one key difference: It's the best-feeling Mortal Kombat I've played thus far. There're some minor quirks that are still being ironed out at the time of writing, but I'm excited, legitimately excited, to see what Netherrealm chooses to add to this game.

Areajugones - Urko Miguel Galparsoro - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Every aspect of Mortal Kombat 1 has been polished compared to previous games, with highly refined gameplay that also adds new depth. The title has a huge amount of content that guarantees a months of fun. Before finishing, I would like to make it clear that, if there is something, above all, that has to be highlighted, it is that regardless of the fact that the title does practically everything better than well, what stands out most is that Mortal Kombat 1 is fucking fun.

33bits - Juanma F. Padilla - Spanish - 90 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 is the second soft reboot of the saga, allowing both newcomers and veterans to enjoy what is surely the best installment in many aspects so far. The small adjustments to the gameplay increase the balance of the combats and the addition of kameos is an interesting novelty. If you are new, this is an ideal time to get on the bandwagon, and if you are a fan of the saga, you cannot miss this installment.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 90 / 100

If you were eagerly awaiting the new installment of the franchise, we tell you in advance that you are going to enjoy it, especially if you are a fan of fighting games. Also, if you want to enter this interesting genre, I think it is a gateway that will make you feel welcome to the most brutal combats.

Attack of the Fanboy - Drew Kopp - 4.5 / 5

While the lack of ambition in the game’s narrative and the inability to play as certain characters keep the game from achieving true greatness, Mortal Kombat 1 is still a top-tier fighting game. The depth of the game’s combat provides less-experienced players with enough skills to succeed while rewarding those willing to take the time and effort to learn the system’s intricacies, and the sheer number of unlockable accessories ensures that you have a reason to keep playing. Mortal Kombat 1 may not land every punch it throws, but it does manage to chart a bold new course for the franchise.

But Why Tho? - Jason Payne - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 stands out among the best in the franchise, taking some of the best elements from games past and introducing new ways to grab new players.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is an excellent entry point for new comers and returning fans. It outshines every previous Mortal Kombat in almost every way, with intuitive controls and interesting modes. NetherRealm cranks the gore up to 11 and I cant wait to see what else they have in store for us.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 90 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 refines and improves on its solid foundation to deliver a devastating tag-team blow.

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1's New Era might be a bit too familiar, but the core gameplay and range of modes on offer here is undeniable.

GAMES.CH - Alain Jollat - German - 90%

Mortal Kombat 1 is an impressive fighting game. Violent to an exaggerated degree, of course, but that is the trademark of the series. Fortunately, the title offers more than just executed losers, but convinces with clever changes to the gameplay, a considerable number of stages and fighters - and tons of stuff that you can unlock, which of course helps the long-term motivation.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 9 / 10

When the first Mortal Kombat debuted more than 30 years ago, the series quickly became known for its trademark blood, gore, and violence. While that is still at the forefront thanks to Mortal Kombat 1’s Fatal Blows, Brutalities, and, of course, Fatalities, the longer the series has gone on, the longer it has rightfully become just as known for its genre-leading approach to single-player content and incredibly tight fighting mechanics. In making strides in both areas, Mortal Kombat 1 moves the series forward to continue what has already been a terrific year for the genre.

GameBlast - Carlos França Júnior - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 doesn't offer a big evolution from its predecessor and maybe it doesn't even have that intention. What matters is that the core is maintained: sharp gameplay and visuals worthy of the current console gen. The Story and Invasion [modes] are great ideas that may have a few issues but there's no hiding the curiosity to know the future roads this journey will take.

GamePro - Kai Schmidt - German - 90 / 100

Fantastic sequel that outshines its predecessors in terms of gameplay and scope.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

While Mortal Kombat 1 feels a little streamlined and cut down compared to Mortal Kombat 11, it surpasses it where it really counts: the gameplay. This is quite simply the most fun we’ve had with a Mortal Kombat game to date. The improved combat with its faster pace, combined with a brilliant roster of fighters and the new Kameo system, means that we’re once again excited for the future of the series, as well as what’s to come to this entry. We’ll be returning to Invasion mode time and time again as its seasonal content is refreshed, and look forward to more characters being added into the mix.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a pure marvel. This reboot offers a news future for the license without altering the original material, quite the contrary. It's one of the most beautiful games of these last years. Fighting  has never been so exciting and exhilarating, not to mention the always so gory and skilfully staged fatalities.

Gamepur - Zack Palm - 9 / 10

I’m amazed at the progress in overall design at NetherRealm Studios. They’ve nailed the gameplay, which is the biggest component for succeeding in this genre where the average gamer just wants to jump in and play a couple matched with their buddies. The variety of modes lends itself to the fun; by giving more ways to play, you enjoy movies. Play the story mode; it’s amazing! The invasion mode will be right up your alley! Do you want to be the next EVO champ like SonicFox? The training mode is a big step for you to overcome, but if you do, you’ll be well on your way.

The graphics are pretty spectacular on every console (except the Switch), and the framerate holds up pretty well, even during the action. The only downside Mortal Kombat offers is the servers for online play, and even that’s improved a bit since the official launch. Every fan of Mortal Kombat owes it to themselves to check out this game. If you weren’t a fan of the previous games for any reason, Mortal Kombat 1 changes enough to give it another look.

GamingBolt - Rashid Sayed - 9 / 10

With its largely satisfying story mode, an intriguing new mode in Invasions, a better progression system for both playable and Kameo characters, and robust online modes, Mortal Kombat 1 delivers the best Mortal Kombat experience ever.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 90 / 100

Netherrealm does not risk too much with its new delivery, but it strengthens a brutal fighting game in every way, comfortable to control and very fun.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is one of the best fighting games of recent years. A new high point for the series in the form of reimagining, ideal for neophytes and brimming with affection for his legacy for veterans.

INDIANTVCZ - Dominik Vysloužil - Czech - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is the best installment in the series. The reboot of the timeline made room for new, but also old chaotic plots that are now gripped a little more steadily. Beginners needn't fear starting off with this installment. Thanks to the cameo fighters, you get something new again. Unfortunately, the interactivity of the arenas has fallen off with this option, but given the dynamics of the combat, that's not entirely a bad thing. The soundtrack in Mortal Kombat is more ambient than some dynamic pumper. The changes from the last installment are many, but I can't say they're detrimental. On the contrary, I really enjoyed this fresh start.

PC Invasion - Alejandro Josan - 9 / 10

With the responsibility of becoming the next great Mortal Kombat game, Mortal Kombat 1 is a masterclass in gaming achievement. While not perfect, it surely brings the ultimate Mortal Kombat experience to the table.

PCMag - Jordan Minor - 4.5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 isn’t the clean narrative reboot that its name implies, but its rich single-player action and new tag-team aerial brawls make for the best fighting system in the history of the franchise.

Pure Xbox - Liam Doolan - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 might not necessarily be the evolution some were hoping for, but it's still an incredibly polished production. The 'Kombat' is perhaps the most refined it’s ever been in the series' history, Kameo Fighters add a new level of strategy, and reuniting with classic characters in Liu Kang’s reborn universe is an absolute blast. It’s a promising refresh for this legendary series that’s arrived at the perfect time. Here’s to another 30 years of blood, guts and Fatalities!

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9 / 10

NetherRealm has really managed to make an exceptionally high quality title that is great story-wise and handles the brand boldly, yet with honour. Mortal Kombat 1 may very well be the best fighting game in this busy year, and it ranks among the best that this well-known franchise has ever delivered.

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 9 / 10

In a time where fighting games are experiencing such an incredible resurgence, no other fighter has emerged quite so victoriously as Mortal Kombat 1.

Shacknews - David Craddock - 9 / 10

Fans waited four years for NetherRealm to release a new fighting game, and all that waiting paid off. From the surprises in its new mythology, to the white-knuckled pace and creativity in its gameplay, Mortal Kombat 1 is the freshest take on the series in years.

Siliconera - Joel Couture - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 looks incredible, has several fun play types depending on what you want to do, constantly rewards you for the time you spend on it, and offers so much customization to the combat through the Kameo system.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 provides captivating features for both offline and online gaming, with noteworthy additions like Kameos and Invasions enhancing the gameplay and comprehensive tutorials facilitating skill improvement. The storyline unfolds masterfully without overstaying its welcome. However, online play disappoints with limited modes. Nonetheless, Mortal Kombat 1 offers an exceptional gaming experience for fans, whether you're a new fighter or a long-time enthusiast.

The Games Machine - Gabriele Barducci - Italian - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a triumph in every way. Aesthetically clean, carefully crafted, with a revised and optimized combat approach for each character. The introduction of the Kameo characters amplifies the need to find ever new and lethal combinations.

The Nerd Stash - Amir Naseri - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a fantastic reboot that reintroduces the fan-favorite MK characters and paints a fresh color on their story and design.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a glorious fighting experience that offers some of the best combat and storytelling seen across the series. The new Kameo system offers a whole new way to approach battles with your foes, whilst the way that the game leans into both the new and old with its overall theming ensures that it manages to feel both fresh and familiar at the same time. The Story Mode remains as excellent as expected, whilst the Invasion mode gives players a creative way to experience the game’s brutal action.

There are some disappointing omissions, such as the lack of the Krypt, interactive environments, and new characters, but they don’t stop Mortal Kombat 1 from offering some of the most exciting (and gory) thrills that the series has ever seen.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 9 / 10

With gorgeous next-gen visuals, spine-wringing combos, and new Kameo fighters, Mortal Kombat 1 is less a reboot and more an accessible yet fulfilling return to form.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 90%

Outdoing previous Mortal Kombats in the gore stakes, and boasting a slew of meaningful and genuinely exciting single-player content, alongside the usual online offerings, Mortal Kombat 1 outstrips previous efforts, delivering one of the finest fighting games money can buy.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Raffaele Giasi - Italian - 8.9 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a technically excellent fighting game with galvanizing and violent gameplay that, in keeping with the tradition for the series, cannot live by half measures and can only be loved or hated.

XboxEra - Győző Baki - 8.8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is one hell of a fighting game, one that I can see myself putting in as many hours as Mortal Kombat 11, if not more, and I’m really excited about its future.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 87 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 successfully brings about the rebirth of the series. Although it is a little weak on the story side, it makes up for all its shortcomings with its magnificent gameplay.

BaziCenter - Farzan Mihanzadeh - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 offers one of the most complete packages we've ever seen in this series while taking everything back to a new start and makes you love it in ways you couldn't have imagined.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 8.5 / 10

Although Mortal Kombat 1 may have some flaws, they do little to dampen the expanded toolkit that Kameos add to the highly entertaining and gory combat that will keep fans coming back for more.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 may not be a massive evolution of the fighting game formula, but what's on offer is still incredibly detailed and lovingly implemented. From the camp fun of the game's main campaign, to the beautiful flow of online fights, to the string of new ideas found in the seasonal Invasions Mode. There's a lot to digest here and a lot to enjoy. Another success by NetherRealm Studios, solidifying them as a masterful fighting game force.

Gamefa - Arman Zarmehr - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 feels familiar and new at the same time, but nonetheless, it succeeds in delivering an amazing Fighting experience with nostalgic characters. That aside, some online issues could somewhat damage your overall experience., if you're a fan of fighting games, Mortal Kombat 1 is a must!

IGN Italy - Diego Cinelli - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 leans on a robust story (with solid foundations, but with a less than impeccable development) and a couple of other single player modes capable of entertaining for several hours – and even more, if NetherRealm Studios is able to properly exploit the seasonal system. The addition of kameo fighters and the focus on aerial combos leaves more room for the player's creativity compared to the previous chapter, with the assists of the secondary fighters breaking up and altering the rhythm of the matches in a positive way.

LevelUp - Fernando Salinas - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a great example that you can take a step back for good. The reboot of the franchise takes the opportunity to introduce new features that improve the gaming experience and takes risks with a new element that integrates well into the classic formula. The feeling of freedom when doing aerial combos is expanded thanks to the kameo fighter, which adds a multifunction variable in each fight. It is clear that this new installment neglected some sections, but put a lot of effort into offering solid control. A sacrifice that left a mark but had good results.

MondoXbox - Andrea Giuliani - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is the perfect entry point for newcomers to the series, while at the same time winking at veterans with constant references and familiar situations. Also outstanding are the design and gameplay twists on historical characters, as well as the novelty of the Kameo successfully paving the way for new strategies and mechanics. An excellent fighting game, recommended both to fans and to those who want to approach the saga for the first time.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 takes a back-to-basics approach to its combat, characters and story that rewards both newcomers and long-time fans in equal measures. It's a narratively satisfying, fresh restart that the series desperately needed after nearly three decades.

Noisy Pixel - Jahanzeb Khan - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a welcome addition to a thriving fighting game landscape. The new systems build on top of the already established foundation created in Mortal Kombat 11 but in a more refined way. It doesn’t shy away from its gorey roots, and thankfully the Kameo system is far better than the voice cameos heard throughout the campaign. Essentially, this is Mortal Kombat done in a way that embraces more powerful hardware and delivers an experience that lives up to the legacy of the series.

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 has a fun gameplay with several options of combo routes because of the Kameos. However, the Invasions mode gets boring quickly and the final arc of the Story mode doesn't please either. The customization of the characters could be further improved after what we've seen in the other games from NetherRealm Studios and the absence of Krypta is remarkable.

PlayStation Universe - Tommy Holloway - 8.5 / 10

Whilst Mortal Kombat 1 has a lack of content, and a frustrating unlockable system, it is the most streamlined iteration to date. Refining the gameplay, the new kameo system, combined with a blockbuster story mode that has shaken the lore up, Mortal Kombat 1 is the most interesting it has been since Mortal Kombat 9.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 evolves the series in every aspect, resulting both fresh for new users and familiar and satisfying for returning players.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is one of the franchise’s most bloody-entertaining entries to date, offering up refined action, smartly revamped fighters, and a story mode that delivers a surprisingly-coherent plot and plenty of blockbuster thrills. A lack of compelling modes and meaningful character customization does hurt, but Mortal Kombat 1 should be a heart-ripping hit with fans even if the overall package is slightly anemic.

Zoomg - Sadegh Tavazoyi - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a fresh start for the Mortal Kombat series. The story has its ups and downs with great start but a bit disappointing ending but, gameplay is where Mortal Kombat 1 truely shines and can entertain the old and new users for a long time.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 8.4 / 10

NetherRealm Studios plays it safe. The Reboot resets the story via a multiverse approach. From a gameplay perspective MK1 brings a classic Mortal Kombat experience with no experiments. Besides the abyssmal Switch port, there aren't any major hiccups technical wise.

Generación Xbox - Gabriel Fuentes - Spanish - 83 / 100

The new installment of Mortal Kombat 1 does almost everything right and opens the door to a new era of the most brutal tournament between the worlds. With modes that promise, completely new mechanics for the franchise and many characters and content to come, the latest version of the saga of NetherRealm Studios will not find any difficulty in making a place in the hearts of fans and also those who take advantage of the reboot to start knowing the IP. It's never too late for someone to arrive for the first time in Mortal Kombat, especially for an edition that can be considered, perhaps, the best of the IP.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 8.2 / 10

The gameplay of Mortal Kombat 1 is excellent and it is old-fashioned coarse. Blood, sweat and broken bones will dominate your screen for hours. This is also helped by the fact that the game looks more than fine graphically. The characters look detailed, just like the environments. The running of the characters in the cutscenes sometimes looks a bit crazy, but otherwise the game jumps off your screen. The story, especially for a fighting game, is also very rewarding and an excellent introduction to future games in this series. Invasion mode is nice for variety but not good enough to keep players busy for long.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 8 / 10

Even though Mortal Kombat 1 is no Flawless Victory, it still feels like a step forward for the franchise. The core gameplay is the best it’s ever been, which I think is the most important thing for the genre.

ElderPlayers - Mohammed Ahmed Alsharif - Arabic - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 offers a beautiful experience for fans of the series with excellent  story and events, thanks to the game engine Unreal Engine 5, the visual effects and details of the game were wonderful and kept in pace with the developments of the story and was able to satisfy all of the fans of the series. Unfortunately, it is suffers from the lack of game modes and some technical problems.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 8 / 10

its gameplay is one of the best we've seen in a Mortal Kombat title, changing the rules again, with the addition of additional tools for special maneuvers in battles

Everyeye.it - Antonello Gaeta - Italian - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 presents one of the best combat systems of the saga, creative, rich in variations, deep and complex.

Game Rant - Liam Ferguson - 4 / 5

All together, Mortal Kombat 1 is an impressive package, changing things up while showing reverence for even the most obscure parts of its franchise. With that said, nothing in MK1, from gameplay to narrative, is any more than a strict evolution of MK11. Mortal Kombat 1 contributes little new to the fighting game space, and the nearby Street Fighter 6 harshly contrasts it by claiming the custom fighters and open world Konquest mode Mortal Kombat left behind. Still, Liu Kang's new timeline shows great promise, and Mortal Kombat 1 should keep its community satisfied until the next Mortal Kombat begins.

GameSpot - Jason Fanelli - 8 / 10

Great mechanics and a wild story make a solid first impression, but a shallow selection of modes keeps MK1 from a flawless victory.

Gamer Guides - Jarrod Garripoli - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is another great fighting game that released in 2023. While it exhibits some of the same faults previous entries did, the Kameo system adds a new depth to the main mechanics.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 has proven itself to be continually compelling throughout its early access and launch period, a remarkably refined and confident instalment of a series that had already secured its identity long ago. The story campaign is an entertaining rollercoaster ride, its foundational fighting mechanics remain strong, and the game’s focus on wide-ranging approachability in service of broadening the fighting game community must be applauded.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 80 / 100

Mortal Kombat's "new era" takes more from the old ones than the reboot implies. While this allows Mortal Kombat 1 to bring the best elements of the series to the forefront, it also distracts from what should be a bold new beginning.

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 8 / 10

So far, the Kameo system and smart changes to the fighting make MK1 feel fresh and exciting, the story mode is predictably great, even if Invasions seems like more of a grind than I'm willing to put myself through to unlock the best cosmetic items.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

The story campaign and, arguably, the fighting are the best they've ever been for Mortal Kombat, although there's currently a lack of other modes and Invasion is a disappointment.

PCGamesN - Dave Irwin - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 offers smart changes to the series' gameplay, an entertaining story that still threatens to baffle newcomers and veterans alike, an online mode that works well on PC, and tons of gore. While the seasonal Invasions mode is a fascinating idea, it's unclear whether it'll be enough to retain long-term interest. However, this is still a fantastic, horribly gruesome Mortal Kombat game that's well worth your time.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Michael Leri - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 has some of the most liberating combat mechanics NetherRealm has ever made, but some of the peripheral features fall a little short of what the studio has achieved prior. Being able to access more tricks and dig into the Kameo system gives fights more depth than they’ve ever had. That ingenuity clashes with the vague unlock system, repetitive Invasion mode, and inconsistent campaign that strangely don’t match the heights of previous NetherRealm games. Mortal Kombat 1 is a victory in many ways, just not a flawless one.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5

It’s a shame that Invasions and the snail’s pace progression drag Mortal Kombat 1 down a little because, if it wasn’t for them, this would easily be the best Mortal Kombat to date. Even with those problems, MK1’s excellent gameplay and story mode make it a much-needed breath of fresh air for the series and a great first step into an exciting new timeline.

TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - 8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 serves as a love letter to fans of this thirty-one-year-old franchise and as a pseudo-reboot it also has potential appeal to newcomers alike. There's still room to grow and I'm sure it will just keep getting better, but Mortal Kombat 1 is already definitely worth your time.

Twinfinite - Jake Su - 4 / 5

Whether you are a seasoned combatant or a new one stepping into the arena for the first time, Mortal Kombat 1 has something for you. The Kameo system has revitalized the trusted formula, which has improved with the many welcomed changes made by the team, everything looks great in motion, and the story mode is more engaging than ever before. Invasions might not be for everybody, and online play could do with some work, but there is nothing too major holding this game back from shining brightly. A new era of Mortal Kombat has arrived, and things are looking smashingly good.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 4 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 sets the stage for a new era of MK that you can't help but get pumped up for. NetherRealm, like the characters in its ultraviolent universe, is staring right into the face of a brave new world and locking eyes with the future.

Windows Central - Samuel Tolbert - 4 / 5

Mortal Kombat successfully resets the timeline with a strong campaign and fun gameplay. Not everything receives the same care and attention, as customization in multiplayer leaves a fair bit to be desired, with microtransactions aplenty. It's still a game worthy of the Mortal Kombat name however, and a great excuse to test your might by yourself or with friends.

Wolf's Gaming Blog - Baden Ronie - 4 / 5

If, like me, you’re a Mortal Kombat fan then Mortal Kombat 1 is a no-brainer – it’s as fun as ever with a great roster and an excellent new Kameo system. However, if you’ve found yourself tiring of the MK formula over the past few games and were hoping the timeline reboot would herald a big new change, then MK1 isn’t going to change your mind. It’s a very safe release, and considering how incredibly popular the modern Mortal Kombat games are it’s understandable that Netherealm don’t want to change the formula too much lest it all end in a brutal Fatality.

Bazimag - Hamidreza Ghaneei - Persian - 7.8 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 can be seen as a worthy addition to the legendary series. Its cinematic campaign and introduction of Kameos in fights contribute significantly to its success. However, the game's relatively unchanged overall structure makes us lean more towards an upgraded version of Mortal Kombat 11 rather than an entirely new iteration. We hope that NetherRealm Studios will consider implementing more substantial changes in future releases for this beloved series.

GRYOnline.pl - Sebastian Kasparek - Polish - 7.5 / 10

Mortal Kombat 1 is a safe sequel without surprises. Unless someone is surprised by a well-crafted storyline, brutality and lots of single-player content. This is "just" another Mortal Kombat with all the good and the bad.

Washington Post - Gene Park - 75 / 100

Mortal Kombat doesn’t need to and probably shouldn’t “grow up.” Eternal adolescence is the point. But to stay young, it just needs to shed the old.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3.5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1's creative Kameo system helps reinvent the classic fighting series, but poor single-player offerings feel like a step back.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 3.5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 is a paradox—a game that manages to be both exhilarating and underwhelming. It opens up the fighting arena to newcomers without alienating its core fanbase, yet falls short of fully realizing its most innovative ideas.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 3.5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 was pitched as the start of a new era for Mortal Kombat, where NetherRealm Studios had complete freedom to craft the universe they wanted, mostly free from the previous two eras.

Impulsegamer - Nathan Misa - 3.5 / 5

Unmatched cinematic story mode and core fighting gameplay mechanics marred by baffling content and feature exclusions.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 70 / 100

Mortal Kombat 1 is a solid 2d fighting game offering with lovely assist-based Kameo gameplay that allows for fun competitive expression and kreativity. While it's not up to snuff to past titles like MKX and MK11 in terms of packed single-player kontent, it could have been much more paltry and barebones.

PC Gamer - Robin Valentine - 70 / 100

There's the skeleton of a good Mortal Kombat here, but it's lacking in meat. Low on personality and half-baked in its attempt to reboot the story, it feels fated to be remembered as the least interesting of the modern MK games.

Push Square - Scott McCrae - 7 / 10

Like we said in the beginning, Mortal Kombat 1 is the best and most refreshing entry in the series since Mortal Kombat (2011), but it falls directly into the same traps as those prior entries. The core fighting is great thanks to the excellent Kameo Fighter system and increased pace (as well as ditching the styles and gear-specific moves), and the return of PS2-era fighters is fantastic. But sadly, the selection of modes and character-specific training options feel extremely dated – especially compared to Street Fighter 6.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

The fighting is solid and so are the graphics and story mode, but as a new start this entry is lacking in modes or ground breaking features to compete with the best.

Screen Rant - Christopher Teuton - 3.5 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 reboots the series for the second time in 30 years, and while the fighting is good it's clear everyone is unsure how to move forward.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 7 / 10

Unfortunately, Mortal Kombat 1 is not the reboot the brand deserves, but it is a pretty enjoyable next installment in the series. If you've played the MK series for the past 10 years, then this installment will probably appeal to you, if you haven't already become tired of the formula. The ending of MK1, however, gives me a positive outlook for the future, if this direction will be continued.

Eurogamer - Chris Moyse - 3 / 5

Mortal Kombat 1 envisions an exciting future with fluid combat, a fantastic story mode, and superb visuals - but receding features, underbaked mechanics, and a dated online experience keep it in the past.

Guardian - Luke Winkie - 3 / 5

Fans of the fighting game's cast of lunatics will enjoy this nostalgic reboot, but its combat fundamentals have remained largely unchanged

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored

NetherRealms Studios can be proud to present its most fun and entertaining Mortal Kombat yet. Mortal Kombat 1 is a breath of fresh air for older players as well as an opportunity for newer players to get hooked on the franchise. A game that will provide us with many hours of fun, almost infinite thanks to its seasonal invasion system, and of which we will invest a lot to complete the towers mode in order to obtain the personalized endings for each character and meet the challenges of the mode. training (combos, perfect blocks, etc.).

For the first time in the franchise, we will also have a pretty good online mode with which to face and literally "bust heads" with fighters from all over the globe, without a doubt the perfect final icing on the cake for a very good fighting game that features also with spectacular graphics and impeccable artistic direction. A totally recommended game for any player who loves fighting games.

Gaming Age - Benny Rose - A or higher

Overall, Mortal Kombat 1 is a polished, beautiful work of art that is a remarkably innovative entry into the long running franchise. You can feel the love and care that went into recrafting existing characters in a way I never knew I would love.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Brendan Caldwell - Unscored

The dependably bloody fighter franchise mixes things up for Mortal Kombat 1, but don't call it a reboot.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - Unscored

Because of the extremely limited time to play, I’ve spent practically all available time within story mode. It’s a mixed bag.

The Escapist - KC Nwosu - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Unboxholics - Κυριάκος Στεργιάδης - Greek - Worth your time

The bottom line about Mortal Kombat 1 is that it has a flowing story that's enjoyable in its own cinematic way. The spectacle takes off thanks to an incredible and flawless technical field, with graphics that are a joy to behold, but also a robust, tried and tested and updated gameplay. It breaks down in the "what to do after the story" section, Because if you're not competitive and experienced enough for the online part, it's hard to keep you going for long. There is always of course the traditional couch co-op where with friends fun is guaranteed. Mortal Kombat 1 may be the second reboot in the series, but it manages to renew rather than reinvent itself, without risking losing its bloody, super violent and fun fighting nature!

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 19 September 2023) - initial OpenCritic reviews posted

The story in this is a huge love letter to MK fans. I think you will enjoy it if you haven't followed what's been going on but if you've been following the series for a while (for instance if you know what games the majority of the roster hail from) then you're going to love it. The end is some awesome nutso stuff. The facial animations are great too, some of the best around. Game is a looker that is for sure.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The story in this is a huge love letter to MK fans. I think you will enjoy it if you haven't followed what's been going on but if you've been following the series for a while (for instance if you know what games the majority of the roster hail from) then you're going to love it. The end is some awesome nutso stuff. The facial animations are great too, some of the best around. Game is a looker that is for sure.

HOW DO YOU HAVE IT. I’m finishing up MK11 real quick before I do this story, just never got around to it so I stared it back up last night. I did do MK9 and 10 and then 1-4/Trilogy before that.