Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "Official Peacemaker Gameplay" trailer

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Don’t forget the story DLC

Yep, I have Aftermath too and will do that as well before diving into the story mode here! I love these, idk what I waited so long to go back to this one. I’ve played a bunch of random matches but never sat down for the story mode even though it’s my fav part. MK11 still looks amazing, can’t wait to see what this one looks like.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yep, I have Aftermath too and will do that as well before diving into the story mode here! I love these, idk what I waited so long to go back to this one. I’ve played a bunch of random matches but never sat down for the story mode even though it’s my fav part. MK11 still looks amazing, can’t wait to see what this one looks like.

MK1 supports DLSS and DLAA :angry-fap-small:

• Hype 1

It’s definitely pretty damn great looking indeed! Maxed out with dlaa it only uses like 50% of my gpu so I think everyone is going to be pretty happy with the performance. MK11 had great hdr and that carries over here as well. One thing I noticed I don’t like is there doesn’t seem to be a toggle for 60fps cinematics like in MK11 on pc. So all fatalities, intros, etc are 30fps here. I hope that gets patched in later.

I only did a few matches in vs mode but I think I’m really going to dig the Kameo system. It seems to do a good job of making the game feel fresh again while still feeling exactly like MK. I’m enjoying the air juggles too! I think the animations are a bit smoother now also?

Back to MK11 for now, which is entertaining as fuck also (I’m about half way through now, I like all the time shinanigans)

Baraka rules pretty hard in this one, some surprisingly smooth combos that feel less ridged. I can’t figure out easy fatalities though. I thought this one let you use easy fatalities no strings attached. I see the input in the menu but it doesn’t do anything. They don’t work in fatality practice either though the regular input does.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s definitely pretty damn great looking indeed! Maxed out with dlaa it only uses like 50% of my gpu so I think everyone is going to be pretty happy with the performance. MK11 had great hdr and that carries over here as well. One thing I noticed I don’t like is there doesn’t seem to be a toggle for 60fps cinematics like in MK11 on pc. So all fatalities, intros, etc are 30fps here. I hope that gets patched in later.

I only did a few matches in vs mode but I think I’m really going to dig the Kameo system. It seems to do a good job of making the game feel fresh again while still feeling exactly like MK. I’m enjoying the air juggles too! I think the animations are a bit smoother now also?

Back to MK11 for now, which is entertaining as fuck also (I’m about half way through now, I like all the time shinanigans)

F, is this early access with the premium edition?

Finished the story this morning. It's pretty good! No actual spoilers below, just broad impressions I'll tag since the game isn't OUT out yet.

Spoiler

I think the story isn't as good or interesting as the previous game or two, and it doesn't lean into its premise as much as it could considering what the hook is. It gets most clever right before it ends. I also feel like it's a more "restrained" story, again compared to recent games. Not bad at all and I think the acting and some of the fight choreography they do is a bit better than what we've seen before.

• Like 1

Beat Aftermath, I’m not surprised if the story here doesn’t quite match MK11 as that was really a really excellent end to that trilogy and will probably be a game or two before they can hit those levels with the reboot. 

I started invasions mode last night and did some towers. Nice meaty endings for each character here besides the story. And maybe I’m just weird but invasions mode seems kinda fun? I really didn’t like the Krypt much and this seems more fun to explore and to be more like a story. I just need an excuse to grind through single player matches and this seems to give me that in a better format.

Also I guess this doesn’t really scale down as well as I would have thought. I can just barely get 60fps using 540p native res on the lowest settings with the rog ally plugged in. 60fps on steam deck is absolutely not happening with it. By contrast, I run SF6 fully maxed out at 720p native.  Anyone with a modern desktop gpu will be fine though.

They really hand crafted that switch port and there is no way to get it that low on pc.

Also I’m ready for this series to try spin offs in other genres again. 

I've played through an hour or so of the story mode. It's really solid, and I'm enjoying everything about it so far. 

I'm playing it on Switch (!) so it's kinda funny going from the story's FMV sequences which are absolutely gorgeous, to the real-time graphics. Which are...I mean, for the system it's on? Actually pretty damn good. But yeah, a HUGE step down...obviously. But that's the price one has to pay for portability, I suppose. (I wonder how the Steam Deck version is?)

Makes for some unintentional humor, haha.

• Sicko 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mortal Kombat 1 (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. It's just that the Switch is still a current gen console and the PS4 and Xbone are last gen. It makes sense but I understand what you are saying. 

The Switch is “current gen” only in the sense that a replacement isn’t out. Nintendo hardware generations are meaningless when it comes to comparing to MSFT and Sony generations. The reason to release it on Switch is sale-based, and there’s more sales to be made by including PS4 and Xbone given their install base. If they’re going to take the time and spend the money to graphically and technically butcher the game to put it on Switch, why not do PS4/Xbone along the way, which, at the least, would wind up looking about as good as MKX/MK11

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Switch is “current gen” only in the sense that a replacement isn’t out. Nintendo hardware generations are meaningless when it comes to comparing to MSFT and Sony generations. The reason to release it on Switch is sale-based, and there’s more sales to be made by including PS4 and Xbone given their install base. If they’re going to take the time and spend the money to graphically and technically butcher the game to put it on Switch, why not do PS4/Xbone along the way, which, at the least, would wind up looking about as good as MKX/MK11

Fair points. 

OLOLOLOLOLOLO

WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

"Cool, we got achievements" - Mortal Kombat 1 admittedly hasn't got off to the best start on the Nintend...

Mortal Kombat 1 admittedly hasn't got off to the best start on the Nintendo Switch this week with series creator and director Ed Boon mentioning how this version will "absolutely" be getting an update at some stage.

If this wasn't already enough to deal with, Nintendo fans have now spotted a Steam notification for what seems to be an achievement in the official Mortal Kombat 1 Switch trailer. This video was uploaded directly to Nintendo's YouTube channel before being set to private.

At the 1:52 mark in the now-removed video, a notification appeared in the bottom right of the screen during a mini-game featuring the Steam UI, the Mortal Kombat logo and the text "Achievement 38" and "Dialogue 38". Obviously, this isn't a big deal, but it's also not a great look as some fans have noted, when it's meant to be a game trailer for the Switch release.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Is it weird to anyone else that there’s a switch version but not a PS4/Xbone version? Like, it doesn’t affect me at all, I just think it’s odd :p 

It seemed weird until I saw its performance profile. The game as designed by Netherealm  doesn’t scale down really to ps4/xbone levels. Even on low/540p you are looking at about 40fps on a steam deck, which is a tiny bit more powerful than a ps4.

For whatever reason MK11 was a big seller on Switch, so they paid another studio to develop a very custom version of it (new models and everything) but a good deal of the fan base that bought their game on ps4/xbone likely has a ps5/xbone by now or will at some point. And the custom version that would obviously run on ps4, well, you’ve seen it, they wouldn’t be able to sell that on those systems. 

58 minutes ago, Derek said:

I don't need instant gratification, but 40 seconds between character selection and the round starting is quite a bit. I have spent a decent amount of time with MK 11 on switch, but I'll probably pass on this.

I can confirm the load times are annoying in this game. Switch version, anyway. Especially towards the end of the Story Mode.

• 3 weeks later...