Dune: Part Two (01 March 2024) - Official Trailer #3

dune-2-first-look-vanity-fair-01.jpg?mbi
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and director Denis Villeneuve share secrets from the new film and reveal Florence Pugh’s, Austin Butler’s, and Léa Seydoux’s new characters.

If you want to know where Dune: Part Two will begin, just look to the ending of the 2021 original. Director Denis Villeneuve wants to make it clear that his new movie, set for release November 3, is not so much another film as a continuation of the first. “It’s important—it’s not a sequel, it’s a second part. There’s a difference,” Villeneuve tells Vanity Fair for this exclusive first look. “I wanted the movie to really open just where we left the characters. There’s no time jump. I wanted dramatic continuity with part one.”

On 4/27/2023 at 2:38 PM, TwinIon said:

I loved the first one and don't really feel like I need to be sold on the second.

I suppose I'm glad that there isn't a time jump or much time being spent to remind us of the first one, but I didn't really expect there to be either.

I feel the same way—my butt is going to be in the seat, so I'm weirdly not really interested in any promo/preview stuff.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune: Part Two (03 November 2023) - Official Trailer debuts tomorrow

Trailer has dropped. I'm a huge fan of the book and only just re-read it along with my wife (her first time) just a few years ago so I know how things play out pretty well. But if you don't remember the book or haven't read it, I would not watch this trailer, it was very spoiler-y to me. It would be very easy based on this trailer to figure out how things play out. Good trailer though.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune: Part Two (03 November 2023) - Official Trailer

There’s a bunch of flashes of stuff that looks cool but I don’t really know what it means, and the big scene in the middle of the trailer felt completely inevitable after the end of the first movie, so I don’t feel particularly spoiled. And the impact of seeing that in IMAX won’t be diminished by watching this on my iPad. But that’s just me.

20 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Trailer has dropped. I'm a huge fan of the book and only just re-read it along with my wife (her first time) just a few years ago so I know how things play out pretty well. But if you don't remember the book or haven't read it, I would not watch this trailer, it was very spoiler-y to me. It would be very easy based on this trailer to figure out how things play out. Good trailer though.

Yeah I didn't even think of that. I was just super hyped for it, but you're right, it is not a good trailer for those who didn't read it and are weary of spoilers!

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

There’s a bunch of flashes of stuff that looks cool but I don’t really know what it means, and the big scene in the middle of the trailer felt completely inevitable after the end of the first movie, so I don’t feel particularly spoiled. And the impact of seeing that in IMAX won’t be diminished by watching this on my iPad. But that’s just me.

yeah this is how i feel. i don’t know anything about the book. 

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

yeah this is how i feel. i don’t know anything about the book. 

I didn't say it was a given you'd feel spoiled, but many are wary of anything bordering on spoilers. That trailer has two-three significant scenes play out pretty uninterrupted. I just wanted to give fair warning. 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't say it was a given you'd feel spoiled, but many are wary of anything bordering on spoilers. That trailer has two-three significant scenes play out pretty uninterrupted. I just wanted to give fair warning. 

I know, that’s why I said “But that’s just me”, not “just watch it, ya damn babies!” :p

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune: Part Two (03 November 2023) - Official Trailer 2

It it even possible to "spoil" something in a trailer based on a book that is almost 60 years old? This reminds me of pre-chronically-online discourse around Ian McKellen "spoiling" that Gandalf came back in the movie version of The Two Towers by doing press tours. Come on now. :p 

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It it even possible to "spoil" something in a trailer based on a book that is almost 60 years old? This reminds me of pre-chronically-online discourse around Ian McKellen "spoiling" that Gandalf came back in the movie version of The Two Towers by doing press tours. Come on now. :p 

Normally I'd agree, but . . . 

Just now, Mercury33 said:

Yes it is. I’d wage a vast majority of the people who saw the first movie never read the book or know the story. 

This.

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Normally I'd agree, but . . . 

This.

I truly don't think that matters in this case. It's an extremely popular book that's been out forever, it's been adapted before more than once, etc.

Besides I don't know that I agree that a "vast majority" of people who saw it were goin in blind. Again, Dune is one of the more popular sci-fi (don't start with me :p ) books ever written and it made less at the box office than fucking Shang-Chi, so... seems like a BIT of a stretch that MOST people ended up in the theater with no familiarity with the material.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I truly don't think that matters in this case. It's an extremely popular book that's been out forever, it's been adapted before more than once, etc.

Besides I don't know that I agree that a "vast majority" of people who saw it were goin in blind. Again, Dune is one of the more popular sci-fi (don't start with me :p ) books ever written and it made less at the box office than fucking Shang-Chi, so... seems like a BIT of a stretch that MOST people ended up in the theater with no familiarity with the material.

No one I've spoken to or took to Part One has ever read the book. It's a popular book, but it's old and people certainly do not remember the plot, generally speaking.  I've always loved Dune (the book series) and I've met very few people in my normal walks of life who have ever read it. Many haven't even heard of it. Anecdotal evidence but if you went to the average person and asked them if (a) they had read Dune and (b) remembered its plot, you'd get either a "no" or a blank stare. Possible spoilers certainly don't help things any.

Wheel of Time is a very popular series yet one I've never read, and I read a lot, including sci-fi and fantasy. I wouldn't want a movie adaptation to spoil anything, whether I could piece together something was a spoiler or not. And I'm deep into this! No way a regular person has read even the first Wheel of Time novel.

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No one I've spoken to or took to Part One has ever read the book. It's a popular book, but it's old and people certainly do not remember the plot, generally speaking.  I've always loved Dune (the book series) and I've met very few people in my normal walks of life who have ever read it. Many haven't even heard of it. 

Literally everyone I've spoken to about it and saw it with has read it and we play the 1979 version of the game and its recent GaleForce9 reprint somewhat regularly. Meanwhile of the group I went to the Lord of the Rings movies with, I was the only person who'd read anything Tolkien wrote. We could do this all day. :p 

Smarm aside I have no idea how you'd make an interesting trailer with what's left without "spoiling" something, unless it's just Chalamet looking pensively into the desert. I don't even know what you'd think is spoilery in it? I guess it's...

Spoiler

Halleck being alive?

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’d say the statute of limitations for spoilers expires somewhere around the half century mark. :p

I don't know. You have to exist outside of your own bubble. I remember the death of Gwen Stacy being spoiled in the Garfield Spiderverse. I have never read a comic in my life and I remember people on the internet just taking it as given that everyone knows Gwen dies.

Hell, I'm guilty of that when it came to the Rings of Power. I've forgotten more middle earth lore than most people will ever know, sometimes it's hard to imagine that other people aren't like me.

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’d say the statute of limitations for spoilers expires somewhere around the half century mark. :p

I think we should separate the effects from what we should do as society.

I absolutely believe there are people who never read the book, but enjoyed the movie and then can be "spoiled" about what happens in the second part as a consequence. How many, I don't know, but I know plenty of people who never read the book, so it's non-zero.

So what do we do about that fact? Can we make trailers that are good and don't spoil things? If we can, then sure why not just avoid spoilers for those people? Is it an undue hardship in some way to avoid spoilers? Seems like no, but if so I guess we can talk about how many people it would take before it outweighed.

Those are my 2 cents on this very important topic :p 

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Literally everyone I've spoken to about it and saw it with has read it and we play the 1979 version of the game and its recent GaleForce9 reprint somewhat regularly. Meanwhile of the group I went to the Lord of the Rings movies with, I was the only person who'd read anything Tolkien wrote. We could do this all day. :p 

Smarm aside I have no idea how you'd make an interesting trailer with what's left without "spoiling" something, unless it's just Chalamet looking pensively into the desert. I don't even know what you'd think is spoilery in it? I guess it's...

Hide contents

Halleck being alive?

I don't know that that's a spoiler per se, but the general populace doesn't know Dune, and even if some do, film adaptation is a new medium and people who don't read at all, for them it might be a spoiler.