Songs that you think secretly fucking slap

Fizzzzle

3 hours ago, Brian said:

This is my summer jam 

I really like this song, and her entire new album that it’s from TBH. I’m usually into darker and harder music overall such as rock, metal and industrial, but sometimes catchy pop music like this is just fun IMO.

48 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I really like this song, and her entire new album that it’s from TBH. I’m usually into darker and harder music overall such as rock, metal and industrial, but sometimes catchy pop music like this is just fun IMO.

I do really like this era of Miley Cyrus.

Demi Lovato's last album also fucking slaps.

The older I get, the more I just appreciate good music, regardless of the genre. A lot of pop music is really fucking good. Pop music pays the best, so most of the people writing, producing, and performing it are the best on the planet (typically not all 3 at the same time)

I still like a lot of punk and metal because there's a certain rawness (specifically because the musicianship isn't typically as good, so the music is carried by vibes), but there's a reason guys like max Martin and Bruno Mars and Benny Blanco are where they are - they are extremely fucking good at what they do. And I appreciate that.

Also for the rock world guys like John Feldman and Joey Sturgis. Those motherfuckers know what they're doing.

Actually it's kind of wild how much ska punk had an impact on music. Between John Feldman (singer of Goldfinger), Vinny Fiorello (drummer of Less than Jake) and Gwen Stefani, they shaped a shit load of modern music, even if their initial bands had limited impact. Feldman is probably the most prolific rock music producer of our lifetime. Vinny started Fueled by Ramen and found Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and Panic at the Disco, among others. Gwen Stefani is... Gwen Stefani. They all started from ska. Which makes sense because ska-punk was basically pop punk before it was cool.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I do really like this era of Miley Cyrus.

I like her previous album (Plastic Hearts) as well, it’s rock with pop sensibilities. But I think that I like her newest album (Endless Summer Vacation) even more, it has a somewhat catchy upbeat electro pop sound that I dig.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Demi Lovato's last album also fucking slaps.

I don’t think that I’ve ever listened to anything by her before, but I skimmed her newest album (Holy Fvck) on YouTube and liked it especially the catchy energetic rock/pop crossover songs that I heard.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:49 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Also for the rock world guys like John Feldman and Joey Sturgis. Those motherfuckers know what they're doing.

Actually it's kind of wild how much ska punk had an impact on music. Between John Feldman (singer of Goldfinger), Vinny Fiorello (drummer of Less than Jake) and Gwen Stefani, they shaped a shit load of modern music, even if their initial bands had limited impact. Feldman is probably the most prolific rock music producer of our lifetime. Vinny started Fueled by Ramen and found Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and Panic at the Disco, among others. Gwen Stefani is... Gwen Stefani. They all started from ska. Which makes sense because ska-punk was basically pop punk before it was cool.

I’m not too familiar with the people that you mentioned other than Gwen Stefani because I was never really into ska-punk or pop-punk because they were more popular with a slightly younger generation than mine. I grew up in the 80s, and was into punk bands like Adolescents, Agent Orange, Bad Religion, Circle Jerks, D.I., Doggy Style, GBH, Misfits, Pennywise, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, T.S.O.L., The Vandals, etc. In the 90s I got into industrial music like Argyle Park, Chemlab, Circle of Dust, Die Krupps, Filter, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, Gravity Kills, KMFDM, Leather Strip, Machines of Loving Grace, Mentallo and the Fixer, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Oomph!, Razed in Black, Sister Machine Gun, Skinny Puppy, Stabbing Westward, etc.

Industrial and its subgenres were what I was into the most during my 20s and 30s. I started to get more into rock and metal especially symphonic metal in my 40s, and those are the genres that I’m still into the most now. But on occasion I’ll hear some more commercial and popular music like the new Miley Cyrus for example that appeals to me, I usually gravitate to the catchy and upbeat stuff with electronics/synths in the mix and female vocals.

By the way, check out Maggie Lindemann and Mothica if you’re not familiar with them because you might like them. Also, if you like indie rock with female singers then you might want to check out Alice in Videoland, Chvrches, Florence + The Machine, The Joy Formidable, Metric, Tsunami Bomb and Wolf Alice which are some favorites of mine.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

The Creep chords need to be retired.

Eh, her version is distinct enough that I didn't notice it until you mentioned it (now I can't unhear it)

I don't really mind people using the same chord progressions. 90% of music uses the same shit just arranged slightly differently.

Polyphia, one of my favorite progressive bands, literally makes their music by taking rap/pop songs, deconstructing them, then reconstructing them with lots of polyrhythms and such. But the underlying chord structure is still very simple.

Ex: (this one doesn't really have much much polyrhythms but it's the general vibe)

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Eh, her version is distinct enough that I didn't notice it until you mentioned it (now I can't unhear it)

I don't really mind people using the same chord progressions. 90% of music uses the same shit just arranged slightly differently.

Polyphia, one of my favorite progressive bands, literally makes their music by taking rap/pop songs, deconstructing them, then reconstructing them with lots of polyrhythms and such. But the underlying chord structure is still very simple.

Ex: (this one doesn't really have much much polyrhythms but it's the general vibe)

Let me clarify, Creep chords with generic breathy indie girl voice is like taking two played out things and combining them to make something uniquely annoying. 

I actually think her first hit is legit a banger (even if it does sound like a Paramore song). She should keep that singing style instead sounding like a million other indie girls. 

Apparently she covered Creep awhile ago. I guess she (or her 50 writing partners) were inspired

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I've been kind of getting into heavy music again. Heavy music is a lot of fun to play.

There is a band that I used to love called The Agony Scene. They have two songs in particular that make me hard.

This one, called "The Darkest Red"

And this one called "Scars of Your Disease"

Are the vocals good? Not particularly. Is the song structure good? Not particularly. Is the mix good? Hell no, it sounds terrible. But I listen to it and I want to raise my grandma from the dead just so I can slap her in the face. And I love my grandma, she was a gem.  I'm just having a hard time conveying the amount of stank face I exhibit when I hear these songs. SLAP YOUR GRANMDA.

• Halal 1

I’ve been absolutely dying to share stuff with people, so this thread is a dream, and I’m just gonna not hold back…

My favorite band in the universe, The Pillows, and a few of my absolute faves of theirs…

Then I was remembering some old faves, L’arc En Ciel -

Asian Kung Fu Generation

And just so no one thinks I only like Japanese music for some stupid reason, here is Screaming Females, Amanda Palmer, Swan Lake, Oddisee, Modest Mouse, and one more and I’m done for now lol.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:47 AM, Fizzzzle said:

I just wanted to say that Polyphia is amazing.

• Halal 1

• 4 months later...