Freight train derailment in Ohio causes toxic chemical spill.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
_128648837_caa2c71d-4e20-41ca-9aef-07e9b
WWW.BBC.COM

East Palestine residents are left without answers after train company cites security concerns.

I saw this.  Absolute horse shit.

"We fear for our safety"

Yeah, so does everyone who showed up looking for answers.

19 minutes ago, CayceG said:

This is literally just a map of the watersheds that feed the Mississippi River. 

Here's a section of a post I made on Reddit in response to this exact map being posted:

Watersheds are the land area that drains to a specific river or stream. The image also shows the red dot where the East Palestine chemical spill happened.

In short, the East Palestine spill will not affect Tennessee one bit. It will also not affect any of the watersheds that aren't the Ohio River Basin. It won't affect the Ohio River Basin downstream of the spill (aside from the Ohio River and Missippi River themselves).

The reason for this is that something entering the water (say, chemical residue) will flow with the water. As we all know, water flows down hill. It can't flow back up hill (to the other river basins/watersheds). In Nashville, we get our water from the Cumberland River. The Cumberland River feeds the Ohio River. Not the other way around.

Likewise, the chemicals released are nasty and potentially harmful. But as they burned they broke down into different chemicals and deposited on the ground nearby the spill. Some probably got into rivers and streams. But one mitigating factor there is that the pollutants are diluted as the volume of the river is so much greater than the volume of pollutants spilled.

Water authorities and environmental monitors along the Ohio River are monitoring the pollutant plume's progress down the river and are making preparations to deal with it when drinking water is concerned. 

And also tbh the flooding along the Ohio river today will probably release more pollution into the water than this train crash by a large margin

The fact that this is even news on this big of scale is because of conspiracy ridden posts on TikTok and other sites. This was two weeks ago. Most levels were read at 4 parts per billion on the Ohio river. Don't we have something like 500 - 1000 derailments per year? People didn't report on this because it was a very small town with no environmental reporters in their small news cast. One journalist was charged, later withdrawn, for disorderly conduct during a press conference which caused multiple social media posts to say things like, "what are they hiding", "why am I seeing it here first", etc. Disaster it is, but nothing extreme that would cause you to worry if you use water from any treatment plant on the Ohio river.

• Guillotine 1

Nah, it blew up because it's emblematic of a deeper issue, namely corporate malfeasance. The "Here's $25k for the lot of ya, be glad we're offering you anything at all, you fucking peons" move by a multibillion dollar company and media/politics collusion running interference for them was just the cherry on top. It's similar to one random incident of police brutality out of hundreds blowing up because it (at least seemed to) illustrate an underlying problem that has yet to be comprehensively addressed.

• True 1

The right wing is trying REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to pin this all on Biden and the Democrats.

It's because they know their target audience is so fucking dumb that they will literally just accept whatever nonsense they shovel in their direction... and sadly, they are right.

Just toss an endless stream of nonsense out into the public discourse and roll around in the chaos you've created. It's the right wing playbook to a T.

My favorite piece of spin, which I have seen at least 10 times...

"Didn't the Trump administration remove the regulation on the train brakes that was designed to prevent things like this?"

"Yeah, well, Biden has been in charge for two years now, why didn't he reverse the decision? He could have at any time.It's all HIS fault! You didn't reverse our terrible decision, it's your fault! Ha Ha! Gotcha Libs!!!!!1!!!!!!"

• Halal 1

When Buttigieg first appeared on the scene, I really liked him a lot. Then it became pretty clear that he was a textbook career politician who was blatantly ladder climbing and didn't really seem to have firm policy stances or earnestly believe in a lot of what he was saying... but I've sorta come back around on him.

He's no different than any of them, and if the goal is to put a warm body in place at the top, we may as well have one that is a terrific communicator.

4 hours ago, ort said:

You didn't reverse our terrible decision, it's your fault!

I mean ... not that it absolves the Republicans but isn't this partially true? Especially in cases where this lends credence to the uniparty concept, with the Reps playing the fall guy and passing corporate-friendly legislation while the Dems criticize it at the time but don't do anything to undo it once they're in power again. The whole railroad worker strike saga a while ago shows that labor rights aren't really on either party's list of priorities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 11:11 PM, CheeTo said:

The fact that this is even news on this big of scale is because of conspiracy ridden posts on TikTok and other sites. This was two weeks ago. Most levels were read at 4 parts per billion on the Ohio river. Don't we have something like 500 - 1000 derailments per year? People didn't report on this because it was a very small town with no environmental reporters in their small news cast. One journalist was charged, later withdrawn, for disorderly conduct during a press conference which caused multiple social media posts to say things like, "what are they hiding", "why am I seeing it here first", etc. Disaster it is, but nothing extreme that would cause you to worry if you use water from any treatment plant on the Ohio river.

e984f19d-3a3f-43c6-8353-8ce043b1a742-AP2
WWW.USATODAY.COM

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says 38,222 minnows and around 5,500 other aquatic species died during the East Palestine train derailment.

"Just 4PPM"

4popm of what? 

Stop caping for the government. They could have prevented this if Buttigieg wasn't completely useless at anything but smiling for cameras. 

He actually blames the rail companies for him not creating more stringent regulations.

"I couldn't not take their money!"

But hey, at least it's another nail in the coffin of presidential hopes of this inept fool. 

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Where does it say 4ppm of anything?

And how exactly could the government had prevented this?

Apparently one of the regulations was over better braking systems that the government could have implemented, and may have specifically helped in this case. But these companies lobbied to make sure it didn't happen. 

As for 4ppm, CheeTo is the one claiming that, and that this is supposedly nbd, not me. 

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Apparently one of the regulations was over better braking systems that the government could have implemented, and may have specifically helped in this case. But these companies lobbied to make sure it didn't happen.

7PTMZPVTW4I63FFAKEUVJV2XCY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Trump administration shelved many rail and environmental rules. But a link to the East Palestine derailment is hard to find.

The train was not equipped with ECP brakes; instead its locomotive used dynamic braking — electric traction motors acting as generators, which slow the train and dissipate mechanical energy as heat. When the crew received the alert about the overheated wheel bearing and engaged the dynamic brake, an automatic emergency brake application kicked in to stop the train, the NTSB said. That’s a full application of a train’s main air brakes that takes place when the train senses that air-brake hoses between rail cars have been disconnected — indicating the train had already derailed.

NTSB chair Jennifer Homendy said on Twitter that the repealed rule was not relevant to the accident. “The ECP braking rule would’ve applied ONLY to HIGH HAZARD FLAMMABLE TRAINS. The train that derailed in East Palestine was a MIXED FREIGHT TRAIN containing only 3 placarded Class 3 flammable liquids cars,” she wrote. “This means even if the rule had gone into effect, this train wouldn’t have had ECP brakes.”

I don’t think your assessment is correct

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes, because Buttigieg couldn't possibly have changed trumps regulations in the two years he's been on the job..... 

It's easier to remove regulations than reimplement them. There was a law passed in 2015 that allowed the Trump admin to remove the regulations in the first place.