Freight train derailment in Ohio causes toxic chemical spill.

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's easier to remove regulations than reimplement them. There was a law passed in 2015 that allowed the Trump admin to remove the regulations in the first place.

The rules were never implemented to begin with, and they wouldn’t have made a difference here anyway.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The rules were never implemented to begin with, and they wouldn’t have made a difference here anyway.

There might be a case that if the recommendations from the NTSB were put in place by Obama (they weren’t) then maybe that might have helped. I’d have to take a closer look at the ntsb recommendation but this was the impression I got from that wapo article. 

and even if the rule were put back in place on day one, it takes years for these regulations to phase in because of you don’t do so the government is taken to court and will be forced to do so at best. A regulation I used to work with had a cutoff date for applicability for new manufacture that was 6 months after the final rule was published, and that was after years of industry discussion and preparation because you have to build up supply chains for these things, you can’t just flip a switch and mandate things that no one can actually do. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There might be a case that if the recommendations from the NTSB were put in place by Obama (they weren’t) then maybe that might have helped. I’d have to take a closer look at the ntsb recommendation but this was the impression I got from that wapo article. 

and even if the rule were put back in place on day one, it takes years for these regulations to phase in because of you don’t do so the government is taken to court and will be forced to do so at best. A regulation I used to work with had a cutoff date for applicability for new manufacture that was 6 months after the final rule was published, and that was after years of industry discussion and preparation because you have to build up supply chains for these things, you can’t just flip a switch and mandate things that no one can actually do. 

Timelines are always long when you’re talking about these sorts of regulations because most of the upgrading will be allowed, within reason, as the need for repairs and replacements come along.

I am still trying to find some good sources to explain why the cleanup methods were ill advised, as most of what I’ve seen is just “of course it’s bad, look at the pictures”. 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Is this something that happens this often or are we just noticing it more now because of an especially bad one?

Over 1000 a year in the US, so not exactly rare at 3 per day, but rare in the sense of incidents per mile traveled. It’s definitely something people are paying more attention to because of the East Palestine incident.

My brother in-law that works for BNSF derailed some cars in a train yard last year and got pulled from service for like 2 months while they investigated. Apparently yard derailments are one of the more common places these occur, from what his union rep told him.

• 2 weeks later...
107088343-1657740455715-AP22061731246202
WWW.CNBC.COM

Ohio sued rail company Norfolk Southern over the derailment of a train carrying toxic materials in East Palestine last month

Ohio sued rail company Norfolk Southern over the derailment of a train carrying toxic materials in East Palestine last month, the state’s attorney general announced Tuesday.

The lawsuit alleges several violations of state and federal law, Dave Yost, the state’s attorney general, said during a press briefing. The state is seeking damages, civil penalties and a “declarative judgement that Norfolk Southern is responsible,” he said.

• 4 weeks later...