The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)

Keyser_Soze

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update Coming December 14, update: "Next-Gen Update" Trailer
2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dlss3 was already announced so that would be a yes!

Jerry will twirl so nicely! "Jerry" is what my son calls Geralt. When he was 5 I was playing the Hell of the Witcher 3 and I am a "vocal" gamer. So I'd let Geralt know, on the occasion, how I felt about some of his antics whenever I died. Little did I know that my son was paying close attention to this "coaching technique" and so was surprised when he very loudly stomped his little kid feet and proclaimed, "Come on Jerry, you're killing daddy!" :lol:

• Haha 4

I just realized I actually own this on Xbox too and with cross save then I can trifecta this play-through with pc maxed in the living room, on deck handheld, and on Series X on the bedroom tv. Love when games let me do that! I really enjoyed Witcher 2 and I’ve been meaning to play this for so long but the timing just never seemed right or something. I’ve been pretty pumped for this for that reason and i’m glad it looks to deliver.

Apparently we haven’t even seen the highest settings on pc yet.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's been a while since I last played, and that was on a Xbox One X, but I couldn't really tell what was different in that trailer. Certainly nothing to complain about as a free update, but it doesn't look like a significant change to my eyes.

Adding RTGI/RTAO, updating all the textures and models, improved water, fog, fire, lod, improved vegetation and crowd density and more on pc with the new ultra+ setting is about the most one could reasonably hope for in a remaster let alone a free one. 

I just think that it generally looks like the game that it still is so if you are just watching a trailer online and comparing it to your memory it’s not going to really show it off well. They should have done it as a comparison video with a “wipe” transition between them. 

• Halal 1

Just now, stepee said:

Adding RTGI/RTAO, updating all the textures and models, improved water, fog, fire, lod, improved vegetation and crowd density and more on pc with the new ultra+ setting is about the most one could reasonably hope for in a remaster let alone a free one. 

I just think that it generally looks like the game that it still is so if you are just watching a trailer online and comparing it to your memory it’s not going to really show it off well. They should have done it as a comparison video with a “wipe” transition between them. 

Nostaglia is always shot in 4K! 

thumbnail-tw.jpg
WWW.THEWITCHER.COM

The offical website of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Your number one source for news, latest videos and screenshots from the upcoming RPG developed by CD PROJEKT RED!

Improved visuals
Ray Tracing, improved Screen Space Reflections, improved foliage, better textures and more visual improvements are coming to the game. Enjoy them to the fullest thanks to FSR 2.1 and DLSS 3 support!

Camera, controls and UI changes
Rediscover the Continent from a new perspective — we've added an alternative camera option that'll bring you closer to the action. Combined with the alternative Quick Sign Casting option, map filtering and the option to dynamically hide the minimap, it will make exploration even more exciting than before!

Photo mode
Capture the moment with the added photo mode! Does that mean there will be a The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt photo mode contest in the near future? Maybe.

Integrated mods
We've included some community-made favourites in addition to our own modifications.

Quest fixes
You've been asking for them — and we couldn't say no! The next-gen update has also been an opportunity to revisit some of the issues in the quests. The free next-gen update brings fixes to From Ofier's Distant Shores, Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear and more!

Netflix DLC
We have a very special treat for all of the fans of the Netflix show! Enjoy alternative looks for Dandelion and Nilfgaardian soldiers, as well as a new quest, inspired by the show, where you'll be able to get diagrams for new equipment for Geralt. What's the quest? Shhh! No spoilers!

Cross-progression
A feature you know from Cyberpunk 2077 — play the game how you like, wherever you like and carry over your latest save between platforms.

Excited? That's just a taste! We'll post a list of changes for the free next-gen update closer to the release.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is the one on the left supposed to be the old one? It's a bad comparison because the one on the right is super blurry so the one on the left looks better.

Might work better on the phone since when it’s smaller the resolution is more similar of the image and what stands out very obviously are the higher res textures.