The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)

Keyser_Soze

Check out these videos for the settings you want to use for Series X and PS5 with an LG OLED. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I fixed it after litteraly sweating (I have panic attacks) and it took an hour. I did absolutely everything you guys suggested and then did more googling and the end result is the PS5 absolutely looks more vibrant, colorful, and sounds better than the XSX.

I immediately fired up Elden Ring and it was incredibly noticeable. What I did see was that the framerate was better for the XSX. So that's the only positive I saw. So I am disappointed for sure. Any multiplatform game that comes out I will absolutely play it on the PS5.

Also, like a complete idiot during my panicking I downloaded the PS4 version of The Witcher 3. It took 2 hours and when I went to options there wasn't any graphical options. I was like "fuck"! So I had to buy the new version for PS5 for $30 and it's still downloading. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow. :facepalm:

I'm a mess the past few days. My anxiety has been completely awful and I stopped drinking caffeine again and have pounding headaches. I apologize if I overreacted earlier but I'm not doing great right now.  😕 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm panicking. Nothing is working and I've tried everything. It says change your tv connection to auto-detect. I do not see that option anywhere. This has turned out absolutely awful. Fuck.

I saw you already fixed your problem, but just wanted to say my Sony TV did something weird like that before. Very frustrating and confusing.  All the colors were screwed up. The problem arose when I plugged in the PS5 and it wanted to auto detect the HDMI, and I thought I wouldn't trust whatever it wanted to set it too.  Ignored it and went to the PS5  display settings and it said my TV didn't support half the features.  Endlessly searched the display settings on my TV and nothing worked.  Turned out my TV had a separate settings menu for the HDMI inputs where I could set it to auto and it magically sprung my PS5 to life with all the features like 4k, hdr, 120hz.  It made me wonder how many people are using the PS5 wrong and don't even know it.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It will look great as long as you don't listen to me :sickos:

You sick son of a bitch! I litteraly hated you so bad for like an hour last night haha 😄.

7 hours ago, jaethos said:

Check out these videos for the settings you want to use for Series X and PS5 with an LG OLED. 

Very nice! Thank you!

2 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I saw you already fixed your problem, but just wanted to say my Sony TV did something weird like that before. Very frustrating and confusing.  All the files were screwed up.  The problem arose when I plugged in the PS5 and it wanted to auto detect the HDMI, and I thought I wouldn't trust whatever it wanted to set it too.  Ignored it and went to the PS5  display settings and it said my TV didn't support half the features.  Endlessly searched the display settings on my TV and nothing worked.  Turned out my TV had a separate settings menu for the HDMI inputs where I could set it to auto and it magically sprung my PS5 to life with all the features like 4k, hdr, 120hz.  It made me wonder how many people are using the PS5 wrong and don't even know it.

My PS5 settings are perfect. I double checked that last night. It looks absolutely gorgeous on my OLED. I need to get my XSX to that level so maybe the videos above will help. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, after all these years I finally finished the Baron quest and that did not end as I expected lol

I completely forget that entire quest it's been so long. That's why tonight I'm starting over which I have to anyway since no save was transferred. I was starting over regardless. I'm pretty excited because it's been litteraly 7 years since I beat it.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It took me way too long to realize that was a link to click on to see what the issue/fix was and not just the video. I was about to do another big rant about how much I hate information being stored on videos now.

Ill definitely do this later before playing. Also didn’t realize there was a new version Warhammer used, they forgot to ship with it on gamepass so I took the file from Plagues Tale to make Warhammer work, guess I should put this there too.

Also I’m still not noticing a lot of stutter like I see some people complaining about but if you have stutter then I saw some people say renaming that file (d3d11on12.dIl) that also allows afterburner access as well as entering --launcher-skip in steam launch options which will bypass the launcher helped with their stutter. 

Normally I won’t recommend bothering with any stutter “fixes” unless universally discussed because it’s usually bunk, but these are two improvements if it helps with stutter or not!

I think mostly the stutter though is just people getting good old fashioned poor and heavily fluctuating performance with dips below vrr threshold especially with the ones caused by hitting the vram limit. 

Oof. I had done some of the suggestions to let me boot with the steam overlay for FPS. That let me test some things out. Basically, any ray tracing is almost entirely binary in performance. Ray tracing shadows is basically the only thing that makes a difference turning individually off. Otherwise changing no other settings (individual ray tracing elements or other graphics features) will dent the performance at all as long as ray tracing is on.

I was, however, getting low 60s to upper 50s FPS though, which with G-sync wasn't that bad. So I was reasonably happy. However, I decided to try updating my graphics driver to the latest to see if there were any optimizations for it, because if it pushed it above 60 more consistently that would be nice. After updating my driver, it's running at mid 30s - 40s! And much more stuttering! The driver update made the performance substantially worse!!

So uh. that sucks. I think I'm going to hold off for a patch. Something aint right here.

• Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, nublood said:

Is the update only for owners of the Complete Edition? I just have the base game and don’t see a difference.

Yes. I made the mistake of downloading the PS4 version last night and was looking for the graphical options. I only owned the base game to so I had to pay $30 for the PS5 complete edition. 

Ok. I am pretty impressed what they did here with the visuals. It actually looks better than I was anticipating and holds up against current gen games. I like the story, characters, and game world. I played for 3 hours tonight. I tried the Ray tracing mode and Jesus did it run like ass. It doesn't even look better than when the game is in 60. So that's a joke for console owners. 60 is phenomenal and it runs great. They did a tremendous job here.

BUT holy hell is the combat absolutely awful!!! There is no hit detection or any impact when fighting enemies. It's extremely sloppy and really has aged horribly. It is extremely disappointing to the point I'm debating if I want to continue the game. Also, the dialogue, animations, cutscenes, and inventory have all aged as well. 

After coming off of GOW Ragnarok with it's stunning combat and everything else it does amazing, this is very bad. Playing Elden Ring didn't help either because that combat has great hit detection and impact.

Do overall it look amazing but the gameplay is really average now. I'm not sure I'm sticking with it. :/

21 minutes ago, legend said:

Oof. I had done some of the suggestions to let me boot with the steam overlay for FPS. That let me test some things out. Basically, any ray tracing is almost entirely binary in performance. Ray tracing shadows is basically the only thing that makes a difference turning individually off. Otherwise changing no other settings (individual ray tracing elements or other graphics features) will dent the performance at all as long as ray tracing is on.

I was, however, getting low 60s to upper 50s FPS though, which with G-sync wasn't that bad. So I was reasonably happy. However, I decided to try updating my graphics driver to the latest to see if there were any optimizations for it, because if it pushed it above 60 more consistently that would be nice. After updating my driver, it's running at mid 30s - 40s! And much more stuttering! The driver update made the performance substantially worse!!

So uh. that sucks. I think I'm going to hold off for a patch. Something aint right here.

Did you change locations when testing? 30-40’s is actually more what I’d expect than 60s if you were in a city!

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes. I made the mistake of downloading the PS4 version last night and was looking for the graphical options. I only owned the base game to so I had to pay $30 for the PS5 complete edition. 

Ok. I am pretty impressed what they did here with the visuals. It actually looks better than I was anticipating and holds up against current gen games. I like the story, characters, and game world. I played for 3 hours tonight. I tried the Ray tracing mode and Jesus did it run like ass. It doesn't even look better than when the game is in 60. So that's a joke for console owners. 60 is phenomenal and it runs great. They did a tremendous job here.

BUT holy hell is the combat absolutely awful!!! There is no hit detection or any impact when fighting enemies. It's extremely sloppy and really has aged horribly. It is extremely disappointing to the point I'm debating if I want to continue the game. Also, the dialogue, animations, cutscenes, and inventory have all aged as well. 

After coming off of GOW Ragnarok with it's stunning combat and everything else it does amazing, this is very bad. Playing Elden Ring didn't help either because that combat has great hit detection and impact.

Do overall it look amazing but the gameplay is really average now. I'm not sure I'm sticking with it. :/

You absolutely did not need to buy the complete edition to get the upgrade. 

• Halal 1

Just now, best3444 said:

Wait, what?? Explain mr...

You don’t have to buy anything for the upgrade, you just have to navigate Sony’s needlessly confusing and frankly misleading to the point I think it might be on purpose storefront to find the correct next gen version of the game. 

You didn’t have to buy the complete version, and the DLCs bought separately are $20 total right now. So I hope you didn’t get duped. 

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

You don’t have to buy anything for the upgrade, you just have to navigate Sony’s needlessly confusing and frankly misleading to the point I think it might be on purpose storefront to find the correct next gen version of the game. 

You didn’t have to buy the complete version, and the DLCs bought separately are $20 total right now. So I hope you didn’t get duped. 

Oh, I got fucked all right. Unbelievable.

• Hugs 1

Just now, best3444 said:

Oh, I got fucked all right. Unbelievable.

As for the combat, I didn’t care for it the first time I played it. However, approaching the game a little differently - more of a strategic and less visceral way - on my second play made me really appreciate it. It’s more RPG than action game, and the stories in the game are so well done it’s absolutely worth putting up with a combat system you don’t love imo. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

However, approaching the game a little differently - more of a strategic and less visceral way - on my second play made me really appreciate it. It’s more RPG than action game,

I remember trying to point this out when the game first game first came out and some folks on this very board were complaining about the combat. The game is literally a Witcher simulator and your meant to apprach combat the way Geralt would. It's not a Dark Souls game and a lot of folks tried to play it that way and got frustrated. In fact this game and later Sekiro, got me to approach the Souls games differently. I prefer speedy, nimble characters that dodge attacks rather than block. That's how I played Dark Souls 2 and 3 and Elden Ring. The combat in The Witcher 3 is fine for what they were going for. 

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Strange! It’s definitely a bit wonky! For me the weirdest thing is when I pause and go through menus it goes to like 40fps? But the game then runs fine!

Yeah I think there's just no excuse for this oddity and I'm hoping they fix it. It sounds like in an inverse of events, the console versions were better optimized this time!

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember trying to point this out when the game first game first came out and some folks on this very board were complaining about the combat. The game is literally a Witcher simulator and your meant to apprach combat the way Geralt would. It's not a Dark Souls game and a lot of folks tried to play it that way and got frustrated. In fact this game and later Sekiro, got me to approach the Souls games differently. I prefer speedy, nimble characters that dodge attacks rather than block. That's how I played Dark Souls 2 and 3 and Elden Ring. The combat in The Witcher 3 is fine for what they were going for. 

When it initially came out I was annoyed at the way geralt moved as much as anything else, and they have changed that quite a bit. 

But I agree overall. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

When it initially came out I was annoyed at the way geralt moved as much as anything else, and they have changed that quite a bit. 

But I agree overall. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure they tweaked the way he moved not too long after it was initially released. It still plays the same way but is less floaty I guess than when it initally came out? I haven't tried the upgrade yet so maybe they tweaked even more, but I always enjoyed the core combat loop.

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The characters and story are really good so that may keep me invested. I guess I'm looking at the combat incorrectly? I am kinda confused what your saying @skillzdadirecta

It's not really a hack and slash... you have to approach the combat situations with the tools you have. So using the different oils and tools that ceratin monsters are weak to... using all of your spells and above all else, DON'T TURTLE and try to block everything. Get into the habit of dodging and contering imediately. When Geralt dodges, he side steps more than anything else so you can attack as soon as an enemy misses.  Monsters are pretty much unblockable for the most part if I recall... it's been years since I played but I beat the game multiple times including on its hardest difficulty. Just don't try to play it like a Souls game and you should be good.

• Thanks 1

The combat in Wild Hunt goes back and forth between fine and pretty good depending on how you build out your stats. The main issue with it is that there's a lot more combat in the game than there is depth to the combat. I know I was playing on Death March so people's mileage may vary, but for the back half of the game a lot of the fights went more or less the same way with a couple exceptions and I was tempted to drop the difficulty not because I couldn't hang, but because it just took too long and wasn't all that fun.

Regardless @skillzdadirecta is right, other than the fact that there are dodges and parries, the combat is different than From games to the point that you can't really play it like one.

• Halal 1