The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)

Keyser_Soze

I messed around with the settings on my TV again to optimize my XSX. I think I made a pretty big difference. I turned on Elden Ring on both consoles and went to the same location and time of day. It was pretty damn close but the PS5 version popped just a bit more. The XSX version runs better so its a wash imo. 

I'm pretty pleased. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 10:09 AM, Spork3245 said:
7432-1672050699-65811478.png
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Optimized Raytracing for lower RT performance cost with minimal visual degradation

Unfortunately this doesn’t help us since we are hitting the cpu limit, gpu can handle this at 120 just fine. It warns about that but I tried anyway and yeah didn’t notice anything. Maybe more constant 120 when outside of cities with dlss quality but that part is always fine really, it’s just in the city when the cpu gets hit and you have to suffer with “only” 80fps!

Im starting to dive more into this, looking for Dandelion now. I actually don’t mind the combat much here, but I’m comparing it to other RPGs like say Skyrim not action games like GoW. 

Ive been good at avoiding spoilers throughout these years so have no idea what happens and I’m curious to finally figuring out what’s with the wild hunt and some things since I beat Witcher 2.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Unfortunately this doesn’t help us since we are hitting the cpu limit, gpu can handle this at 120 just fine. It warns about that but I tried anyway and yeah didn’t notice anything. Maybe more constant 120 when outside of cities with dlss quality but that part is always fine really, it’s just in the city when the cpu gets hit and you have to suffer with “only” 80fps!

Im starting to dive more into this, looking for Dandelion now. I actually don’t mind the combat much here, but I’m comparing it to other RPGs like say Skyrim not action games like GoW. 

Ive been good at avoiding spoilers throughout these years so have no idea what happens and I’m curious to finally figuring out what’s with the wild hunt and some things since I beat Witcher 2.

The mod is more for those without a 4000 series card :p 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

12k resolution is when aliasing theoretically becomes imperceptible to human eyes. Aim higher. :santasun:

I saw a rumor that the 5000 series will be the biggest leap yet for nvidia. Considering the leap this gen, if that’s true, maybe I will be aiming there!

• Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

Unless you need a 12k display also for that to hold up in which case let’s talk in ten years.

Nah, it’s the resolution itself. It’s the equivalent of old-school 8x MSAA on 4k (closer to 9x, really). Obviously if you saw it native, it would look better, but the aliasing should be 1:1 regardless.

Once we reach 12k displays, afaik, there’s little reason to keep going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, it’s the resolution itself. It’s the equivalent of old-school 8x MSAA on 4k (closer to 9x, really). Obviously if you saw it native, it would look better, but the aliasing should be 1:1 regardless.

Once we reach 12k displays, afaik, there’s little reason to keep going.

We will find a way!

• 1 month later...

Patch 4.01 has just been released.

thumbnail-tw.jpg
WWW.THEWITCHER.COM

The offical website of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Your number one source for news, latest videos and screenshots from the upcoming RPG developed by CD PROJEKT RED!

PC-SPECIFIC

Fixed an issue where the Screen Space Reflections setting wasn't working on PC despite being turned on. Players who had previously set their SSR setting to high may notice a performance impact.
Added a new performance mode for ray-traced global illumination, which can be toggled by players with compatible hardware. It improves frame rate by prioritizing performance over range and precision.

CONSOLE-SPECIFIC

Fixed an issue where consoles could create a higher amount of saves than their set limit, resulting in various issues with saving the game or user settings being reset.  
Improved Screen Space Reflections quality on next-gen consoles.
Optimized ray-traced global illumination on next-gen consoles to improve the performance of Ray Tracing Mode.

QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - Available on all platforms

Battle Preparations - Fixed an issue where it could be impossible to interact with Avallac'h during the objective "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready."
Family Matters - Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash during the transition to Ciri's Story: Out of the Shadows when speaking to the Bloody Baron.
King's Gambit - Fixed an issue where it could be impossible to participate in the fistfight with the second Vildkaarl due to an invisible obstacle.
Wine Wars: Belgaard - Added a retrofix for the issue we fixed in 4.00, where the quest couldn't be completed if the player destroyed one of the required monster nests during exploration.
A Dangerous Game - The armor in Caesar's room should now change its appearance when the Alternate Nilfgaardian Armor is turned on.
Axii Puppet - Increased the health and damage dealt by the puppet. 
Adrenaline Rush mutation should now work according to its description. 
Various small fixes to quests and cutscenes.

LOCALIZATION - Available on all platforms

Fixed various issues with Arabic localization.
Added the localized versions of Orianna's song "Lullaby of Woe" in Korean and Simplified Chinese.
Adjusted Priscilla's lip-sync animation to match her voice-over in Simplified Chinese during the song "The Wolven Storm".

Please note: these are only the most notable changes. The patch contains other minor fixes that didn't make it into this list.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: Patch 4.01 released
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: Patch 4.01 released
24 minutes ago, legend said:

Guess it's time to give it another try on my apparently ancient 3080 :p 

Good luck as Id say you still need a 4000 series for dlss3 or at least a 13900k cpu minimum as the cpu usage isn’t improved from my testing :/ Novigrad will still be in the 30-50s for most people.

I gave it a fair test and I’m not seeing any cpu increases in performance beyond maybe overall there’s a few less areas that sink frames.

To my surprise there is no improvement I could identify by switching to performance RT. It actually defaulted there and I couldn’t tell if it was better or not so I was surprised when I went to turn it on and it was already there. Luckily Quality runs the same and not worse than before at least. Maybe there are gpu gains and outside of the city might run better now but I’m guessing the cpu simply has to be brute forced here and will never get better.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
Witch401-Site-Thumb.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry's complete guide to the upgrades - and downgrades - for The Witcher 3 patch 4.01, tested on Xbox Series consoles, PS5 and PC.

General performance in the ray tracing mode is improved, but before we move onto specifics, it's worth noting how the developer has achieved this. It seems to be via a similar approach as the PC game's RTGI performance mode. To claw back performance, both consoles appear to have slightly less accurate coverage for GI: more light leakage, less shading, less accuracy, less range. Ultimately, the lion's share of the effect is still there though, it's still clearly the more visually superior option, but it's not quite as precise as once it was - but performance is better than it was.

On PS5 and Series X the issue on the launch build was a struggling 30fps reading in the RT mode, especially for Sony's console which often held in the mid-20s. It was actually quite hard to recommend on PS5 at launch and rarely hit 30fps in Novigrad, or busy outdoor segments. Patch 4.01 goes some way to fix that and I'm genuinely impressed by the uptick in performance here. It's not perfect and there are still dips just under when the Red Engine is taxed in our Novigrad stress tests but regardless, there is a 3-4fps gain in most areas. It's not perfect - as the video above demonstrates - but it's a welcome improvement. Xbox Series X was closer to the 30fps target at launch in its RT mode, and now the performance level is even more consistent, meaning that if RT at 30fps is your thing, Series X offers a smoother ride.

That should be the end of the story but it's not because bafflingly, the 60fps performance mode is now noticeably slower on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - and it's not clear why this is happening as visuals look the same. Starting off with Series X as an example, our Novigrad test run shows a drop by as much as eight or nine frames per second on the new patch. For the entire route, by foot or horseback, the drop-off is impossible to ignore now. Frustratingly, in many areas where 60fps was possible at launch on Series X, it's now closer to the 50fps line.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
ewdfgs7uaNZqBpTNrR6vv-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Toss a coin to me, Witcher.

Whenever I see LTD sales figures, I'm always curious about the stratification of revenue over the product lifecycle:  "X units were sold at $Y revenue/unit, etc."

You can tell me that you sold 100 million units of a product, but if your actual revenue is highly stratified towards a relatively low revenue per unit at the tail-end of the product lifecyle, then I'm not quite as impressed by your unit sales volume.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Whenever I see LTD sales figures, I'm always curious about the stratification of revenue over the product lifecycle:  "X units were sold at $Y revenue/unit, etc."

You can tell me that you sold 100 million units of a product, but if your actual revenue is highly stratified towards a relatively low revenue per unit at the tail-end of the product lifecyle, then I'm not quite as impressed.

Fair point.  Revenue numbers for a product are the most important metric, but are something I rarely see shared.