The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)

Keyser_Soze

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

GameSpot just gave this a 10/10 on PS5. I'm ready :angry-fap-small:

I’m pretty excited. I’m picking up where I left off about 10 hours in, looking for the Baron’s wife. I just need to beat Calisto Protocol before I forgot about it forever so I can fully concentrate on this…and I need to play more Pokémon cuz it rules, but this will be my main game for a good bit I imagine.

I lovvve being able to play it on Series X on the tv in my room and pc out in the living room and handheld while watching tv on deck. So convenient for a game that is 100 hours to complete. Kind of like how I played Valhalla and it was a great month doing that so I’m pumped.

• Halal 1

Yeah this is hitting my 3080 harder than cyberpunk. I’m on ultra performance dlss and disabled ray tracing shadows. It’s mostly fine, but still has some problem points. 

I will probably notch it down a bit more because I prefer very consistent performance.  

The environment is beautiful maxed out though and perhaps the best I’ve seen. The sunsets are crazy good. Character models are actually showing their age though when compared to HFW and GoWR.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yeah this is hitting my 3080 harder than cyberpunk. I’m on ultra performance dlss and disabled ray tracing shadows. It’s mostly fine, but still has some problem points. 

I will probably notch it down a bit more because I prefer very consistent performance.  

The environment is beautiful maxed out though and perhaps the best I’ve seen. The sunsets are crazy good. Character models are actually showing their age though when compared to HFW and GoWR.

I am noticing some stuttering on ultra+ with 3080 as well.

Are you able to see FPS on yours?  It doesn't show for me using the Steam overlay or GEForce overlay.

Would love to know your configuration if you find one you are happy with.

4 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Are you able to see FPS on yours?  It doesn't show for me using the Steam overlay or GEForce overlay.

At max settings at least with RT you are going to run out or vram on a 3080 which will cause extra stuttering. I’m not sure if it still runs out without RT or not.

Geforce overlay actually does work for me out the gate but to get afterburner or steam working to show performance do this:

Go to "steamapps/common/The Witcher 3/bin/x64_dx12" and
delete "d3d11on12.dIl"

It shouldn’t have shipped with it so it’s fine to remove or you can just rename it.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, December 14), update: CDPR investigating PC update issues

I made it past the weird glitch with attacks not working on riposte by reloading and choosing to skip the tutorial. Combat after that has worked just fine. Unfortunately its still The Hitcher 3: Wild Stutter! Hopefully they get this sorted quickly, because I am hungry to play through once more! :vortex:

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I made it past the weird glitch with attacks not working on riposte by reloading and choosing to skip the tutorial. Combat after that has worked just fine. Unfortunately its still The Hitcher 3: Wild Stutter! Hopefully they get this sorted quickly, because I am hungry to play through once more! :vortex:

And you are playing with frame gen on? I was playing with an overlay like a weirdo for awhile last night and I wasn’t noticing anything pronounced. Is it like with Batman bad for you or what? I’m hearing mixed reports on it and some people saying they fixed it but not sure what’s going on!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

And you are playing with frame gen on? I was playing with an overlay like a weirdo for awhile last night and I wasn’t noticing anything pronounced. Is it like with Batman bad for you or what? I’m hearing mixed reports on it and some people saying they fixed it but not sure what’s going on!

I'm using DLSS, with every setting on max, except motion blur, because I hate motion blur. I'm getting great frame rates but its sort of rythmicaly hitching, not so much to make it unplayable, but just enough to ensure it breaks the sense of the otherwise silky smooth high frame rate. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm using DLSS, with every setting on max, except motion blur, because I hate motion blur. I'm getting great frame rates but its sort of rythmicaly hitching, not so much to make it unplayable, but just enough to ensure it breaks the sense of the otherwise silky smooth high frame rate. 

By Dlss though, do you mean you are also checking the frame generation under display options?

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I'm not able to get steam FPS either. It's because it goes through the launcher and if you do the steam overlay, it wants to put the overlay in the launcher! Something wasn't routed right. I'll have to try @stepee suggestion.

But I have a pretty good feel at this point for smooth >=60 vs... not and it is in the "not" category :p 

I can say that using ultra performance DLSS and disabling the shadow raytracing removed a lot of the bigger hitches/stutter. But fluidity still feels a little off.

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Did a quick search and maybe you did the same one, under general settings for the TV & Display options, is the video fidelity set to standard in the color space option?

There's other options around here you could maybe turn on and off as well, check it out.

Also Evil Ash's suggestion of other inputs having separate settings is also a thing my TV does, so I have to calibrate for every input.

You could do a quick troubleshoot in this regard if you plug your Xbox into the HDMI input your PS5 is on.

Omg! I went to video fidelity and clicked something and now all my settings are fucked up! I can't even play in 4K it says my TV doesn't support that. What in God's name did you do! Now my screen looks like ass. I checked everything everybody said and everything was fine. Then I did what you told me and everything is fucked up and I can't fix it. Holy fuckin shit.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Omg! I went to video fidelity and clicked something and now all my settings are fucked up! I can't even play in 4K it says my TV doesn't support that. What in God's name did you do! Now my screen looks like ass. I checked everything everybody said and everything was fine. Then I did what you told me and everything is fucked up and I can't fix it. Holy fuckin shit.

Try not to worry too much. What can be broken in software can be fixed in software. It’s one of the great things about software! You might want to consider sharing images of your settings here for people who know about your kind of TV.  

5 minutes ago, legend said:

Try not to worry too much. What can be broken in software can be fixed in software. It’s one of the great things about software! You might want to consider sharing images of your settings here for people who know about your kind of TV.  

All options are blacked out now. Like "allow 4K" - "allow HDR10 etc etc.

When I select allow 4K it reads "sorry, your tv is telling us it won't support that resolution. Everything was completely fine with my settings until I did what @Keyser_Soze told me. Now I'm completely lost. I even switched HDMI connections. Nothing works now.

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

All options are blacked out now. Like "allow 4K" - "allow HDR10 etc etc.

When I select allow 4K it reads "sorry, your tv is telling us it won't support that resolution. Everything was completely fine with my settings until I did what @Keyser_Soze told me. Now I'm completely lost. I even switched HDMI connections. Nothing works now.

Everybody Loves Raymond What GIF by TV Land

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm panicking. Nothing is working and I've tried everything. It says change your tv connection to auto-detect. I do not see that option anywhere. This has turned out absolutely awful. Fuck.

Do a hard reset. Hold down the button on the console for 10 seconds or so... Power cycle the console. That should fix it.

I fixed it after litteraly sweating (I have panic attacks) and it took an hour. I did absolutely everything you guys suggested and then did more googling and the end result is the PS5 absolutely looks more vibrant, colorful, and sounds better than the XSX.

I immediately fired up Elden Ring and it was incredibly noticeable. What I did see was that the framerate was better for the XSX. So that's the only positive I saw. So I am disappointed for sure. Any multiplatform game that comes out I will absolutely play it on the PS5.

Also, like a complete idiot during my panicking I downloaded the PS4 version of The Witcher 3. It took 2 hours and when I went to options there wasn't any graphical options. I was like "fuck"! So I had to buy the new version for PS5 for $30 and it's still downloading. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow. :facepalm:

I'm a mess the past few days. My anxiety has been completely awful and I stopped drinking caffeine again and have pounding headaches. I apologize if I overreacted earlier but I'm not doing great right now.  😕 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I fixed it after litteraly sweating (I have panic attacks) and it took an hour. I did absolutely everything you guys suggested and then did more googling and the end result is the PS5 absolutely looks more vibrant, colorful, and sounds better than the XSX.

I immediately fired up Elden Ring and it was incredibly noticeable. What I did see was that the framerate was better for the XSX. So that's the only positive I saw. So I am disappointed for sure. Any multiplatform game that comes out I will absolutely play it on the PS5.

Also, like a complete idiot during my panicking I downloaded the PS4 version of The Witcher 3. It took 2 hours and when I went to options there wasn't any graphical options. I was like "fuck"! So I had to buy the new version for PS5 for $30 and it's still downloading. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow. :facepalm:

I'm a mess the past few days. My anxiety has been completely awful and I stopped drinking caffeine again and have pounding headaches. I apologize if I overreacted earlier but I'm not doing great right now.  😕 

One thing I would consider trying sometime when you are maybe feeling more up to it is either a new hdmi 2.1 cable or plugging the ps5 one into your XSX to see if it’s maybe a bad cable.

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

But if you have the ps4 version, why did you have to buy it? Its a free next generation upgrade, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

But if you have the ps4 version, why did you have to buy it? Its a free next generation upgrade, isn't it?

Yea, I owned the PS4 version so I have no idea why I had to pay $30 to get it? I downloaded the PS4 version for free and it even said continue in the options. To get this upgrade I had to pay. 

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It is a free upgrade but I’m thinking he just had the regular Witcher 3 without the expansions so it let him buy the complete edition still.

Yup the "free upgrade" is for the complete edition owners. I only own the base version and the only PS5 option cost $30.