All Quiet on the Western Front (Netflix, 28 October 2022) - Official Trailer

This looks REALLY fucking good.

We don't get very many WWI movies compared to WWII in general, but even less so movies that delve deep into the darkness of war. 1917 did a little bit, and Legends of the Fall (though only partially a WWI movie, and honestly not that great) delves a bit into PTSD, we generally don't get a lot of dirt and grime when it comes to The Great War.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

This looks REALLY fucking good.

We don't get very many WWI movies compared to WWII in general, but even less so movies that delve deep into the darkness of war. 1917 did a little bit, and Legends of the Fall (though only partially a WWI movie, and honestly not that great) delves a bit into PTSD, we generally don't get a lot of dirt and grime when it comes to The Great War.

Don't forget Steven Spielberg's War Horse! For a (relatively) recent example. There's also Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old, but that's a documentary. I guess Wonder Woman kind of? :p Most people just go all the way back to Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front. 

I did really enjoy War Horse and moreso 1917 though. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Don't forget Steven Spielberg's War Horse! For a (relatively) recent example. There's also Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old, but that's a documentary. I guess Wonder Woman kind of? :p Most people just go all the way back to Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front. 

I did really enjoy War Horse and moreso 1917 though. 

I've heard War Horse is pretty good, but I've never seen it. I'm willing to bet it's very emotional, but.... (again, having never seen it), it's also PG-13.

Any film attempting to depict the brutality of war should never be rated anything other than R. That's why Glory is the best Civil War movie. A dude gets fucking brained in like the opening seconds of the first battle scene, as if to say "this isn't your daddy's re-enactment fantasy, Timmy. Sit down and get ready for some real shit." I've gone on enough tangents about Civil War movies on this board, though.:p

They Shall Not Grow Old is fantastic. I remember seeing a making-of video about it somewhere, and the technology they used/invented to make that movie is really something.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've heard War Horse is pretty good, but I've never seen it. I'm willing to bet it's very emotional, but.... (again, having never seen it), it's also PG-13.

Any film attempting to depict the brutality of war should never be rated anything other than R. That's why Glory is the best Civil War movie. A dude gets fucking brained in like the opening seconds of the first battle scene, as if to say "this isn't your daddy's re-enactment fantasy, Timmy. Sit down and get ready for some real shit." I've gone on enough tangents about Civil War movies on this board, though.:p

They Shall Not Grow Old is fantastic. I remember seeing a making-of video about it somewhere, and the technology they used/invented to make that movie is really something.

It's Spielberg though - he makes it work. He shows trench warfare, etc. No, it isn't 1917 or Glory or Saving Private Ryan but it's very enjoyable and if you want a heartfelt movie about WWI, you can do a lot worse. I'd give it at least one watch. It's also amazingly well shot. The movie certainly portrays the grime and grit and dirt of WWI and the movie doesn't pull its punches. You are going to be pissed how these people treated horses by the end of the movie.

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Truly out-fucking-standing this film looks to be, definitely will check it out end of October. Wonder if the whole film is in German because I'll watch it that way then.

It's a near-certainty that the film will be entirely in German, except for the notable sequence where there should be some French.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nokra said:

That looks amazing, thanks for posting that, SFLUFAN. 

I also recognized Daniel Brühl, from Inglorious Basterds, Goodbye Lenin!, and The Edukators. Fantastic actor! :clap: 

He's also excellent in Burnt, Rush, and as Baron Zemo in Captain America: Civil War and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier if you haven't seen any of those but you probably have since those are much more well known than The Edukators. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

That looks amazing, thanks for posting that, SFLUFAN. 

I also recognized Daniel Brühl, from Inglorious Basterds, Goodbye Lenin!, and The Edukators. Fantastic actor! :clap: 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

He's also excellent in Burnt, Rush, and as Baron Zemo in Captain America: Civil War and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier if you haven't seen any of those but you probably have since those are much more well known than The Edukators. 

Oh yeah but he was the best in 7 Days in Havana, The Cloverfield Paradox, and The Zookeeper's Wife. If you haven't seen those yet you need to rethink your life!

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh yeah but he was the best in 7 Days in Havana, The Cloverfield Paradox, and The Zookeeper's Wife. If you haven't seen those yet you need to rethink your life!

I've seen two of those and they weren't good movies, hence why I did not mention them. But Bruhl does need more recognition.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

This is going to have an all German track? AWESOME!

Netflix is pretty good about this sort of thing and as they've shown with Dark they aren't afraid to shy away from putting non English shows in the mainstream.

On top of that they generally have multiple language dubs of shows and movies if you prefer to hear another language as well.

• Halal 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to All Quiet on the Western Front (Netflix, 28 October 2022) - Official Trailer

Watched earlier this afternoon and have had more than a few hours for this ... experience (!?) to wash over me. Perhaps THE most harrowing, gut wrenching, brutal depiction of the toll of war upon a young man that I've ever seen. Quite easily may have skyrocketed into my top 3 all time for war films for sure.

Probably will try to watch it today. I am almost done with Master of Mankind and want to listen to this story of Constantin Valdor. After that I will give Storm of Steel a listen. I assume the movie is pretty faithful to the book? Haven't read it since HS but rather listen to new things for the time being until my health concerns are resolved.