Georgia Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker lies about being in law enforcement after lying about being valedictorian, graduating from UGA, and creating a veterans charity

220613-MB-Herschel-Walker-jg-489084.jpg
WWW.MSNBC.COM

GOP Senate hopeful Herschel Walker has publicly presented himself as having a background that bears little resemblance to his actual life.

As recently as 2019, Walker also told an audience, “I spent time at Quantico at the FBI training school. Y’all didn’t know I was an agent?”

Walker has never been an FBI agent. His campaign said he spent a week at an FBI school in Quantico, but a week does not an agent make. (He couldn’t have been an agent anyway, since agents are required to have college degrees, and Walker doesn’t have one, even though he’s claimed otherwise.)

The only meaningful experience the Georgia Republican appears to have with law enforcement was a 2001 incident in which the former athlete “talked about having a shoot-out with police.” Around the same time, Walker’s therapist called the police to say he was “volatile,” armed, and scaring his estranged wife.

7NFT4CP7UUDZHYST357TXQWGYA.JPG
WWW.AJC.COM

U.S. Senate candidate Herschel Walker regularly praises police officers. But was Walker in law enforcement himself?

So, what’s the real story? Walker’s campaign said he majored in criminal justice during his time at the University of Georgia and was an honorary deputy in Cobb County along with three other Georgia counties. (They did not specify which ones.)

The Cobb County Police Department said they have no record of involvement with Walker. The Cobb sheriff’s office could not immediately say if he was an honorary deputy or not.

But former DeKalb County District Attorney J. Tom Morgan said even if he was, that would give him no law enforcement authority. “It’s like a junior ranger badge,” he said.

Morgan said that many sheriffs in Georgia stopped handing out such honors amid concern that people would use the paperwork to impersonate police officers, a felony in Georgia.

Walker was also never an FBI agent, which would require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Walker left UGA before earning his degree.

He's lied about graduating from UGA

Walker in a 2017 motivational speech: “And all of sudden I started going to the library, getting books, standing in front of a mirror reading to myself. So that Herschel that all the kids said was retarded become valedictorian of his class.”

Walker in a 2017 radio interview: “And people say, ‘Herschel, you played football.’ But I said, ‘Guys, I also was valedictorian of my class."

The truth is:

In December, Walker’s campaign website falsely claimed that he had graduated from the University of Georgia, the school he left after his junior season to play professionally. (Walker’s campaign deleted the claim after the Atlanta Journal-Constitution inquired about it.) In April, CNN’s KFile team revealed that Walker himself had made the false graduation claim for years – and that Walker had even asserted that he graduated in the top 1% of his University of Georgia class.

But when Walker was challenged about his graduation deception in an interview last week with FOX 5 Atlanta anchor Russ Spencer, Walker declared he had never once said he graduated from the University of Georgia.

Spencer told Walker that he has a “phenomenal life story,” but that “in some instances you’ve exaggerated that story. You said that you graduated from UGA…”

Walker interjected: “I never said that. They say that. And I said – that’s what you gotta remember. I never, I never have said that statement. Not one time. I’ve said that I studied criminal justice at UGA.”

He's lied about being valedictorian.

“And all of sudden I started going to the library, getting books, standing in front of a mirror reading to myself,” Walker said in a 2017 motivational speech. “So that Herschel that all the kids said was retarded become valedictorian of his class. Graduated University of Georgia in the top 1% of his class.”

Walker also made the claim in another interview in 2017.

“I also was in the top 1% of my graduating class of college,” Walker told Sirius XM radio.

The truth is:

While Walker was a top student at his high school and the president of the Beta Club – he maintained an “A” average to be in the school’s Beta Club – CNN’s KFile found no evidence he was the class valedictorian.

According to the local newspaper The Wrightsville Headlight, at Walker’s 1980 graduation he was not given the award for the student with the highest GPA in any academic subject. He did tie with another student for a leadership award based on participation in clubs and his GPA, and won numerous awards that year for his football achievements. While Walker was one of the ceremony’s honor graduates, the article does not mention the school naming a valedictorian or a salutatorian.

A 15-year review of local press coverage did not find the school naming a valedictorian until 1994 – when the paper acknowledged the school was naming a valedictorian and salutatorian for the first time in “many years.”

He lied about starting a charity for veterans.

“About 15 years ago, I started a program called Patriot Support,” Walker said in an interview with conservative commentator Hugh Hewitt last October. “People need to know I started a military program, a military program that treats (thousands) of soldiers a year,” he told Savannah TV station WTGS in February.

The truth is:

But corporate documents, court records and Senate disclosures reviewed by The Associated Press tell a more complicated story. Together they present a portrait of a celebrity spokesman who overstated his role in a for-profit program that is alleged to have preyed upon veterans and service members while defrauding the government.

But Patriot Support is not a charity. It’s a for-profit program specifically marketed to veterans that is offered by Universal Health Services, one of the largest hospital chains in the U.S. Walker wasn’t the program’s founder, either. It was created 11 years before Universal Health Services says it hired Walker as a spokesman, which paid him a salary of $331,000 last year.

And the $50,000 prize he earned from the Food Network didn’t go to Patriot Support, but was instead donated to a Paralympic Veterans program in Patriot Support’s name.

Court documents, meanwhile, offer a far more troubling picture of its care for veterans and service members.

A sprawling civil case brought against Universal Health Services by the the Department of Justice and nearly two dozen states alleges that Patriot Support was part of a broader effort by the company to defraud the government.

“To maximize the flow of military patients, UHS engaged in an aggressive campaign ... to market its ‘Patriot Support program,’” a company whistleblower who ran the admissions program at a Utah hospital stated in a 2014 court document.

As a celebrity spokesman, Walker was part of the public relations blitz.

I knew Herschel Walker was suss waaaay back in the early 2010s because of one man: Clay Travis. 

Clay Travis hosted an afternoon sports talk radio show here in Nashville at the time that I'd listen to. Every so often he'd bring up Walker in some context and speak of him glowingly. As Clay Travis is a human pile of slime (and despite listening to him, I knew it even then) I figured his judge of character was sort of off. So I took that to mean Walker maybe wasn't the most stand-up guy, even if I didn't know a thing about him. 

Walker's senate run made me look him up because I, too, am pessimistic about the Georgian electorate's ability to make good choices. It isn't a secret (since he wrote a book about it) that Walker suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder. Back in the 90s he made friends with a guy who was a counselor, former pastor, and future gay conversion therapy wacko. This man, Jerry Mungadze, diagnosed and treated Walker for DID. And it seems like the guy's a straight up religious fanatic that probably isn't very good at treating mental illness. 

AP22041600547767-scaled.jpg
WWW.WABE.ORG

One warm fall evening in 2001, police in Irving, Texas, received an alarming call from Herschel Walker’s therapist. The football legend and current Republican Senate candidate in Georgia was “volatile,” […]

I do not doubt that Herschel Walker has some form of mental illness. But I am very skeptical of Mungadze's ability to correctly diagnose and treat that illness. 

It's just one more pretty bad red flag being waved regarding Walker's campaign and fitness for office. 

• Halal 2

Regardless of whether or not he'd make a decent political choice, I suspect he suffers from a constant state of achievement envy, in that even though he has accomplished far more than I ever have in my life (and most other people), for him it's never enough, requiring him to exaggerate his accomplishments to what he wishes he'd accomplished, even though his status quo should be way more than enough. The problem with this is that it has allowed him to develop a process of becoming a pathological liar, which means that in government he would be extremely dangerous to both himself and the country.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

107076121-1655297891697-gettyimages-1240
WWW.CNBC.COM

Walker, an ex-NFL star running to unseat Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock, has criticized fathers who don't raise their children.

Herschel Walker, a Republican Senate nominee in Georgia, has a second son he’s apparently estranged from and hasn’t publicly recognized.

Campaign manager Scott Paradise confirmed Walker’s parentage on Tuesday in response to an article in The Daily Beast that said Walker has a “secret son” he isn’t actively involved in raising. Walker has publicly condemned absentee fathers and has touted his own close relationship with his adult son Christian in campaign speeches. “If you got a child, hug your child every day,” Walker said in a 2017 speech.

The second child’s mother took Walker to court a year after giving birth to obtain child support and a declaration of paternity, according to The Daily Beast, which cites public posts and a court document in its report. The publication withheld the name of the 10-year-old child and his mother due to privacy concerns.

The final child support order in that case reportedly came in August 2014, when the boy, who has taken Walker’s last name, was more than 2 years old.

It’s one thing to be a piece of shit absentee dad. It’s another thing entirely to lecture people about it while you yourself are an absentee father. I know hypocrisy is something the right doesn’t care about and doesn’t move votes or voters at all but Jesus tap dancing Christ it’s infuriating that through this action and others he’s shown himself to be just a garbage person, and might still become a senator because of the team sport that is modern politics, over a genuinely moral person. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s one thing to be a piece of shit absentee dad. It’s another thing entirely to lecture people about it while you yourself are an absentee father. I know hypocrisy is something the right doesn’t care about and doesn’t move votes or voters at all but Jesus tap dancing Christ it’s infuriating that through this action and others he’s shown himself to be just a garbage person, and might still become a senator because of the team sport that is modern politics, over a genuinely moral person. 

A moral person with a functioning brain.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

At some point the GOP is going to run a candidate that suspiciously goes on and on about how we shouldn't allow ourselves to get into nuclear war with Russia, but then reporters will discover he's from an alternate dimension where he was directly responsible for nuclear war with Russia.

Greg Stillson?

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You have a problem with people who lecture people about moral failings, like cheating on their wife, but then do the same thing, huh?

0575B9EB-1341-4954-BB42-C08E7F0BB387.thu

9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's really frustrating that our society continues to reward the worst and most venal people. America isn't a meritocracy, it's an assholeocracy.

• Like 2

Trump, Trumpism, and the social forces behind the rise of both pushed politics from 'lie, but with enough restraint, nuance and vagueness to give you plausible deniability' to 'you can lie as much as you want, as obscenely as you want, so long as you own the libs.'

The political left has not gone quite as crazy with the concept as the populist right yet, but I imagine they're going to quickly get tired of being 'above it' once they start to lose (more) power.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

You'd think at least one of these lies would be enough to disqualify him, but nope.

There's no magic lever to throw somebody into space because of a scandal.

Georgia needs to disqualify him at the ballot box.

Here I definitely blame the GOP itself more than the candidate, though even considering the brain damage he doesn’t seem like a great person himself. But taking advantage of someone with brain damage like this and parading them around, and there is some gross racist context to this as well, it’s just so nasty and cynical. In some ways it’s a new kind of low and disturbing to watch.

• Halal 2