Anyone else get tired of every party/strong man getting compared to Nazis/Hitler?

It's a thing that bugs me, and I still see it all the time.

Bush was not a Nazi. Obama was not a Nazi. Trump was not a Nazi. Putin is not a Nazi. Xi is not a Nazi.

The Nazis as they existed do not fit on our current political left/right spectrum the way people wish they did. Every time I see someone on twitter call [x political leader/party] nazis I just groan.

Yes, I know this reads like something a high school sophomore would say after reading a history book for the first time. I just literally saw someone on Twitter call Putin's government a "nazi regime." Putin is many horrible things, and he even shares some similarities with Hitler, but he is not a fucking Nazi. You know who actually were Nazis? .... the Nazis.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's a thing that bugs me, and I still see it all the time.

Bush was not a Nazi. Obama was not a Nazi. Trump was not a Nazi. Putin is not a Nazi. Xi is not a Nazi.

The Nazis as they existed do not fit on our current political left/right spectrum the way people wish they did. Every time I see someone on twitter call [x political leader/party] nazis I just groan.

Yes, I know this reads like something a high school sophomore would say after reading a history book for the first time. I just literally saw someone on Twitter call Putin's government a "nazi regime." Putin is many horrible things, and he even shares some similarities with Hitler, but he is not a fucking Nazi. You know who actually were Nazis? .... the Nazis.

Perhaps I'm wrong but on the tradition left/spectrum they mos def fit in on the right. Nazism is a reactionary conservate ideaology. 

Yes Bush/Obama aren't Nazi but mos def war criminals. Putin isn't a Nazi but he is probably a fascist considering how right wing he is. Xi isn't a Nazi but I do think the comparison is okay due to the Uyghurs.

Now to the big one. I can't suspend my disbelief enough to give Trump the benefit of the doubt. Legit had a copy of Mein Kampf according to an ex-wife. He even seems to draw inspiration from them with his "Big Lie". Now I'd almost say he is a fascist but the rascism throws him into the Nazi camp. 

Not saying fascists can't be racists but I'd say the biggest differences between fascism and Nazism is the race component. Though tbh if you wait long enough fascism probably gets there anyway since there is always gonna need to be a scapegoat for why things aren't improving.

Certainly not to defend war criminals, but has there ever been a nation or armed force involved in military conflict that actually acted honorably with regards to the rules of war? Has there ever been a war in modern history that didn't have some number of atrocities committed by both sides?

13 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Certainly not to defend war criminals, but has there ever been a nation or armed force involved in military conflict that actually acted honorably with regards to the rules of war? Has there ever been a war in modern history that didn't have some number of atrocities committed by both sides?

Absolutely not. Only way to not have war crimes is not not be involved in a war. But war crimes are also on a sliding scale.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Absolutely not. Only way to not have war crimes is not not be involved in a war. But war crimes are also on a sliding scale.

Where does throwing puppies off a cliff land on said scale?

EDIT: I realize this is not technically a war crime (or maybe it is? idk) but you get the idea lol

44 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

There's a difference between committing war crimes and the entire point of the war being to go commit war crimes.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

There's a difference between committing war crimes and the entire point of the war being to go commit war crimes.

I bring it up more as a I hope we do better in thr future and we can't consider ourselves the "good guys" when you keep double tapping weddings.

43 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I’ll stop comparing Republicans to Nazis when they stop acting like Nazis.

And going to Nazi conventions.

gosar-paul-socks.jpg
WWW.AZMIRROR.COM

Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar surveyed the crowd as he settled in at the podium for the Feb. 26 headlining speech at the America First Political Action Conference, an event organized by a young white nationalist.

And being the party of Nazis.

GettyImages_892387224.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

The racist candidates are expected to lose, but they could drag their party down with them.

ad935428b7beefd3579e05248dfc56b604-charl
NYMAG.COM

Trump may not be Hitler, but he is close enough for Hitler fans.

And having their official news channel be Nazi propaganda.

AP20203052231213c.jpg?w=1024
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Tucker Carlson has pushed the white nationalist idea of the "great replacement" in response to the surge of Haitian refugees at the border.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anyone else getting tired of people playing semantic games with admited racists and xenophobes? I don't see why anyone should be upset by comparing these folks to Nazis when they have no problem acting like them. These fuckers have turned it into a badge of honor.

2010:

lacroix-default-thumbnail.png
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

The unusual hobby of Rich Iott, would-be congressman from Ohio

Why would we need to be neutral about Nazis...unless you're a Nazi? :thinking:

DLVUDZTSAMI6ZITNDQQ4C2Y4SM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Indiana state Sen. Scott Baldwin's comments came during a committee hearing over his proposed bill banning critical race theory.

16 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm curious what the GOP will call themselves once they have full control over everything in 2025.

Hey man, remember - these are not the views of the majority of the population. We’re not going to let these fuckers take over without a fight.

5 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

these are not the views of the majority of the population

That's what the gerrymandering and voter suppression is for.

6 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

We’re not going to let these fuckers take over without a fight.

Cool go talk to Joe about Merrick.

I just think comparing anyone you don't like to Nazis/Hitler is emotionally manipulative. You can't come up with an actually good argument to why someone is bad so you say they're a Nazi, because everyone agrees Nazis are bad, therefore if you say someone else is a Nazi, then everyone has to be on your side, otherwise that makes THEM Nazis, too.

You don't have to call Putin a Nazi for everyone to agree that he's a skid mark on the underpants of civilization. You don't have to call Trump a Nazi to believe he's a pathological liar and narcissist. Those things are very, very evident to people with brains. Putin and Trump may be many things, and there is certainly plenty of overlap in the venn diagram comparing them to Nazis, but what they are not, are Nazis.

It's emotionally manipulative and intellectually dishonest to just call anyone you don't like a Nazi.

Thankfully I don't see it here very often, if ever. It's mainly reserved for the bird app and youtube comments sections, or your aunt's facebook posts.