Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

11 minutes ago, Brian said:

Nobody made any bold predictions that this game was going to sell poorly that I can remember. The “it sold 12M suck it” is such a weird take. I’m glad this game created more discourse around the issues at hand. 

It’s just taking the other angle of shaming people who DONT buy it which is kind of insane. Don’t shame people for if they do or don’t buy shit unless it’s something directly terrible. People act like you have to choose one or the other but you could also just mind your fucking business lol.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s just taking the other angle of shaming people who DONT buy it which is kind of insane. Don’t shame people for if they do or don’t buy shit unless it’s something directly terrible. People act like you have to choose one or the other but you could also just mind your fucking business lol.

Who shamed people for not buying it?  I didn't see anyone do that here.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Who shamed people for not buying it?  I didn't see anyone do that here.

For the full conversations on that you’d have to do a deep dive back months through threads. But I think the hah hah good job on ur boycot stuff is essentially to the same end.

The sales in my view are just another reminder that the internet isn’t reality. If you spent much time around online discussion of the game, you would easily think Rowling is hugely divisive and that she would harm the game. The truth is most people don’t know anything about her and even less about her current fights. They just like those witches and wizards and such.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Yep the end result being this was why I was always against the idea of trying to shame others for playing it. Your comfort level with your own purchasing decisions is personal thing unless it’s something extremely blatant like buying a gun for a kid to shoot someone or something. But for indirect stuff, it’s just however you feel it best to balance for yourself.

I feel like if you are doing that well then you don’t feel the need to shame people for playing a harry potter game which makes me wonder exactly how bad of a job those people do with the rest of it.

My favorite team made a competition-over-decency trade a few years, and despite going to their games being among my favorite recreational activities, I chose for my family and I to forego doing so the rest of the season. I also didn’t begrudge those who felt differently, but it felt right to me to deny the owner of the club money I would otherwise be willing to spend because of his decision to approve the acquisition.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm saying it's impossible, yes.

Hm, I don't think that's true. Yes, measuring it via nothing but sales probably doesn't get you anywhere (although the finer statistics a platform like Steam has access to might). But there are other methods that could quantify it reasonably well, such as polls asking people if they had planned to buy it (but then didn't because of the boycott) or looking at things such as people unwishlisting it post-drama. Those aren't gonna be 100% accurate but are gonna give you a better picture of the actual impact the campaign had than counting tweets in support of the idea on Twitter or the like does.

4 hours ago, Demut said:

Hm, I don't think that's true. Yes, measuring it via nothing but sales probably doesn't get you anywhere (although the finer statistics a platform like Steam has access to might). But there are other methods that could quantify it reasonably well, such as polls asking people if they had planned to buy it (but then didn't because of the boycott) or looking at things such as people unwishlisting it post-drama. Those aren't gonna be 100% accurate but are gonna give you a better picture of the actual impact the campaign had than counting tweets in support of the idea on Twitter or the like does.

Considering the vast amount of people won't answer polls or add games to their wish list, this also sounds highly dubious at best.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Or perhaps, your average gamer just wants to play games, and doesn't care about boycotts proposed by Resetera and also promoted on Twitter and Kotaku.

I've never viewed HP as an IP close to the popularity of MCU or Star Wars -- maybe I'm wrong.

Uh, yeah, that was my point. Also Star Wars overall has grossed more, but is significantly older. MCU has grossed a few billion more than Harry Potter, but it's much closer.

Most people won't give a shit about boycotts or anything, yes, everybody knows this. This isn't some huge revelation, lol. People still buy Teslas and those fucking explode randomly. People are always unaware and do not care even if informed. It's completely normal... which was my entire point. It's a hugely popular franchise, it sold well because most people don't know or care about anything but "muh harry potter."

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Considering the vast amount of people won't answer polls or add games to their wish list, this also sounds highly dubious at best.

I'm not saying it would be perfect, Xbob, just one possible way to arrive at a more objective, quantifiable answer to the question of how much of an impact it had. And regarding polls and people not answering, there's an entire science around that so with enough resources I think we could arrive at quality data in theory :p

13 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

The only people that boycott this are those that didn't care about HP in the first place. People boycott when it's convenient. It's not like you saw people unsubbing from Netflix when they didn't drop Chapelle (who probably made more from Netflix telling trans jokes than JK made from this game).

This isn’t true for me. I like Harry Potter, grew up with the books, and I actively have a distaste for anything with the series going forward due to Rowling’s behavior. Funny you bring up Chappelle, but I also was a huge fan of his and just have no interest in what he has to say at the moment. Very disappointed in him and I will certainly go out of my way to avoid giving him money if I can. 

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The sales in my view are just another reminder that the internet isn’t reality. If you spent much time around online discussion of the game, you would easily think Rowling is hugely divisive and that she would harm the game. The truth is most people don’t know anything about her and even less about her current fights. They just like those witches and wizards and such.

exactly. i think twitter specifically is a big echo chamber. you would think buying the game is a huge sin based on that website. then you talk to people and they don’t know anything about JK besides she wrote the HP books. or they don’t care enough to boycott something that brings them happiness. 

• True 1

The problem I have with your objections to trans people in specific cases is that it’s difficult to believe a lot of people are making those objections in good faith. The trans debate is largely dominated by hot button culture war issues such as the three you just mentioned. 

In the case of sports, most people can name a single instance of a trans person “unfairly” winning over a biological female, and it is almost certainly in a sport that they otherwise had no interest or knowledge of. I bet at this point they can name neither any of the athletes who were “unfairly” defeated, and at this point probably not even the trans individual who won a lot of those events. They’re mostly mad because, sort of related to how some in here are talking about an echo chamber on Twitter, the national media (particularly the trans phobic conservative side) told them they should be upset. 

Otherwise, there are probably, I dunno, hundreds at most trans athletes competing around this country without either knowledge or much controversy because frankly it’s not some fucking massive injustice that it’s made out to be. Are there arguments to be made on certain levels, sure. But again I don’t trust Bob in Kansas City who doesn’t want his granddaughter to go up against a person in his mind who changed their gender solely for athletic success, which absolutely is the dog whistle-like narrative aimed at stupid people. 

Perhaps it’s a net good for these folks who are already prone to SO much misery and bullying and depression and rejection from society to just be allowed to compete in the things they enjoy without being villainized. And a few good athletes who would have otherwise won don’t win. That’s a trade I’m personally ok with. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

Beat the game after 60+ hours and yeah good stuff, one of the best releases during the current gen imo. We will see for GOTY with Starfield and Spiderman 2 and idk what else but this will be up there in this packed year still.

I think I lost a little steam towards the end and the story was okay but I would like to see something that felt higher stakes and was just…better next time. But a good introductory chapter. And the combat could use some work in a few key areas, mostly the sponginess, playing match the colors, and enemy’s hitting you from off screen. 

Those first two things, damage sponges and playing match the colors in order to cause damage made the last boss quite crap as it leaned hard into those especially the matching colors mechanic. It really took away the fun from the last boss fight and made me switch to easy (after saving me mid boss fight so to get more potions I’d have to restart the whole level) just to get past it and not let it knock down my impression of the game too much.

That aside, there’s just so much content here that is super fun and well done with a grab bag full of game systems that are actually developed out and engaging. That along with the most highly detailed and immersive large scale interior environment I’ve seen in a game in Hogwarts, make this still an early gen stand out and an easy 9/10 GOTY contender.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Really? Most people are loving the game, even people that aren't big HP fans seem to think it's great.

I think his impression is based of his experience not playing the game and reading impressions from other people not playing the game.

• True 1

I would definitely need more details, because unremarkable is certainly not something I’d associate with the game. Heck, for licensed games there’s only like maybe Spider-man that is better but they are probably about equal in quality really (both are amazing games that give you what you want out of their IPs) - I didn’t forget the Arkham games, they just aren’t as good. 

edit: Referring to lee’s post, I know Leon was kidding! 

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Hogwarts: Legacy seems to be pretty unremarkable outside of the controversy surrounding J.K. Rowling.

What has given you that impression? The game has been receiving nothing but praise from critics and gamers alike. J.K. Rowling had nothing to do with the game beyond it taking place in a universe that she created, it was completely conceived, designed and produced by Avalanche Software.

It’s apparently a really fun and well made game with a good story and cast of characters, an impressive game world, entertaining play mechanics and varied quests. I haven’t played it yet because I’m waiting for the PS4 version that was delayed until April 4th, but it’s definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year and I really have no doubt that I’m going to enjoy it immensely.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

What has given you that impression? The game has been receiving nothing but praise from critics and gamers alike. J.K. Rowling had nothing to do with the game beyond it taking place in a universe that she created, it was completely conceived, designed and produced by Avalanche Software.

It’s apparently a really fun and well made game with a good story and cast of characters, an impressive game world, entertaining play mechanics and varied quests. I haven’t played it yet because I’m waiting for the PS4 version that was delayed until April 4th, but it’s definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year and I really have no doubt that I’m going to enjoy it immensely.

You’re going to fucking love it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nublood said:

This game wouldn't even exist without that less than fantastic person. lol

True story: My dad was once a little boy, with dimples and everything. He grew up to be very bad man and I would not exist without him, but that doesn't change who and what he is. Time and choices are a real mother fucker! :sun:

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

True story: My dad was once a little boy, with dimples and everything. He grew up to be very bad man and I would not exist without him, but that doesn't change who and what he is. Time and choices are a real mother fucker! :sun:

And who's to say that you've made better choices hmmm? KIDDING, I'm kidding.

I'll see myself out.

• True 1