Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

28 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Definitely tempted by XC3

I always get tempted by Xenoblade games but I've never actually enjoyed playing any of them

If I'm being honest. I'm a big JRPG dude so I feel like I'm *supposed* to like them, but I don't. I decided that XC3 is the first one that I've realized it's just not for me.

32 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I always get tempted by Xenoblade games but I've never actually enjoyed playing any of them

If I'm being honest. I'm a big JRPG dude so I feel like I'm *supposed* to like them, but I don't. I decided that XC3 is the first one that I've realized it's just not for me.

I feel that. They have so much that I like but I haven't been able to get into a JRPG in I can't remember when. I keep thinking maybe I'll like this one.. Then I'm mad at myself for spending money lol 

8 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I feel that. They have so much that I like but I haven't been able to get into a JRPG in I can't remember when. I keep thinking maybe I'll like this one.. Then I'm mad at myself for spending money lol 

I still like JRPGs. I played FF7 Remake and had a good time. I played Tales of Arise, and while I wouldn't say it's the greatest game I've played, it was good enough that I played through to the end. Dragon Quest XI was really good.

(tbh I cheated DQ so that I got 1.5x multiplied XP so that I didn't have to grind. If there's one thing I've always hated about Dragon Quest, it's the incessant grinding)

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still like JRPGs. I played FF7 Remake and had a good time. I played Tales of Arise, and while I wouldn't say it's the greatest game I've played, it was good enough that I played through to the end. Dragon Quest XI was really good.

(tbh I cheated DQ so that I got 1.5x multiplied XP so that I didn't have to grind. If there's one thing I've always hated about Dragon Quest, it's the incessant grinding)

If I knew about the 1.5x XP thing I'd probably have beaten DQ XI. Oh well. Not like I didn't put a decent attempt in 

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I really didn’t like XBC2 (yet still finished) but I absolutely loved XBC3. It’s definitely my favourite JRPG of the last few years. Both it and Tales of Arise were games I couldn’t put down. 

Now gimme DQXII. It’s been almost 3 years since they teased it.

and Persona 6 please?

On 2/26/2023 at 2:57 PM, stepee said:

Beat the game after 60+ hours and yeah good stuff, one of the best releases during the current gen imo. We will see for GOTY with Starfield and Spiderman 2 and idk what else but this will be up there in this packed year still.

I think I lost a little steam towards the end and the story was okay but I would like to see something that felt higher stakes and was just…better next time. But a good introductory chapter. And the combat could use some work in a few key areas, mostly the sponginess, playing match the colors, and enemy’s hitting you from off screen. 

Those first two things, damage sponges and playing match the colors in order to cause damage made the last boss quite crap as it leaned hard into those especially the matching colors mechanic. It really took away the fun from the last boss fight and made me switch to easy (after saving me mid boss fight so to get more potions I’d have to restart the whole level) just to get past it and not let it knock down my impression of the game too much.

That aside, there’s just so much content here that is super fun and well done with a grab bag full of game systems that are actually developed out and engaging. That along with the most highly detailed and immersive large scale interior environment I’ve seen in a game in Hogwarts, make this still an early gen stand out and an easy 9/10 GOTY contender.

I'm just about to finish the game. Literally on the last fight before I had to stop for my buddy arriving to lift. The game is really good with high production values but I don't think it'll be anywhere near GOTY contention. It's a solid "Ubisoft"-like open world RPG but does a lot of things that really started to nag me as I approached the end.

1. I HATE collectathon maps. Especially ones that have you do the same 3-4 tasks over and over again. Pages, Merlin Trials, Astronomy, Ancient Magic spots... Fun once or twice but I don't need to do them 100x.

2. Side Quests are mostly - Do this really basic thing for some random person.

3. Combat - Generally really good... but some fights had endlessly spawning adds which is just something I really dislike (Spiderman did this too much too). Outside of that Enemy Variety was a lacking and the targeting system was a little unreliable. Because enemies would often spawn behind you, it was sometimes difficult to have tactics.

Those three issues aside... the main quest and 3 main companion quest lines were all very entertaining and interesting. For a first entry into what is likely going to be a series it is very good. Hopefully Expansions/Sequels are a bit more focused. 

1 minute ago, Dexterryu said:

I'm just about to finish the game. Literally on the last fight before I had to stop for my buddy arriving to lift. The game is really good with high production values but I don't think it'll be anywhere near GOTY contention. It's a solid "Ubisoft"-like open world RPG but does a lot of things that really started to nag me as I approached the end.

1. I HATE collectathon maps. Especially ones that have you do the same 3-4 tasks over and over again. Pages, Merlin Trials, Astronomy, Ancient Magic spots... Fun once or twice but I don't need to do them 100x.

2. Side Quests are mostly - Do this really basic thing for some random person.

3. Combat - Generally really good... but some fights had endlessly spawning adds which is just something I really dislike (Spiderman did this too much too). Outside of that Enemy Variety was a lacking and the targeting system was a little unreliable. Because enemies would often spawn behind you, it was sometimes difficult to have tactics.

Those three issues aside... the main quest and 3 main companion quest lines were all very entertaining and interesting. For a first entry into what is likely going to be a series it is very good. Hopefully Expansions/Sequels are a bit more focused. 

While I agree with all your points I still think the mechanics and sub activities are so solid and well done that while some of the colectethon stuff I didn’t want to do (and didn’t) there was always stuff I DID want to do for 60 hours. 

A lot of the game does feel introductory so I agree though that a more focused sequel could really be a force.

To be clear though for GOTY I just meant for myself :P I don’t think it will get even mentioned by most for multiple reasons.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

While I agree with all your points I still think the mechanics and sub activities are so solid and well done that while some of the colectethon stuff I didn’t want to do (and didn’t) there was always stuff I DID want to do for 60 hours. 

A lot of the game does feel introductory so I agree though that a more focused sequel could really be a force.

To be clear though for GOTY I just meant for myself :P I don’t think it will get even mentioned by most for multiple reasons.

Completely valid. As I mentioned I really enjoyed the game, but as someone that is a little older and limitted on time, the stuff that I listed mostly was just padding which I really don't like over a much more tightly focused narrative. I had similar problems with Forbidden West and Ragnarok compared to their first entries. In those cases I felt like sometimes games added too much. I tend to roll my eyes when a dev says main story is 30-40 hours but there's 100+ hours of content.  That means that up to 60% of the game is padding. So far for the games that I've played the only time I found that to be true where a very high percentage of that content felt unique was Witcher 3.

Mass Effect is a great example - Trilogy was generally very focused. Almost everything you did in it had a high impact on the story and narrative. Then you have Andromeda which had you driving to remote locations of planets to scan a plant for 2 seconds. Likewise with Elden Ring... Tons of stuff to do in that world and each dungeon could contain an item or something that greatly effected the way you played vs having a +1 stat point upgrade on something you already have.

At any rate... I'm way off topic but Hogwarts felt like it could have been true GOTY with some restraint and focus.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Completely valid. As I mentioned I really enjoyed the game, but as someone that is a little older and limitted on time, the stuff that I listed mostly was just padding which I really don't like over a much more tightly focused narrative. I had similar problems with Forbidden West and Ragnarok compared to their first entries. In those cases I felt like sometimes games added too much. I tend to roll my eyes when a dev says main story is 30-40 hours but there's 100+ hours of content.  That means that up to 60% of the game is padding. So far for the games that I've played the only time I found that to be true where a very high percentage of that content felt unique was Witcher 3.

Mass Effect is a great example - Trilogy was generally very focused. Almost everything you did in it had a high impact on the story and narrative. Then you have Andromeda which had you driving to remote locations of planets to scan a plant for 2 seconds. Likewise with Elden Ring... Tons of stuff to do in that world and each dungeon could contain an item or something that greatly effected the way you played vs having a +1 stat point upgrade on something you already have.

At any rate... I'm way off topic but Hogwarts felt like it could have been true GOTY with some restraint and focus.

Game are just way too damn bloated and it’s bad for gamers and for developers and the industry needs to figure out how to stop sizing outwards and start polishing inwards, agreed! 

• True 1

6 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Now that I’m no longer buying Dead Island 2 on day one based on previews, I’m going to buy this on April 4th when it comes out for PS4.

It's not coming in April. They moved it back, I believe to May.

Give up the ghost of PS4. It's done! :p 

I was so into this game, but hit a brick wall and fell off it hard.  Not sure how many total hours I have into it, but my Collection I think is maybe 75-80%.  I must be fairly close to the end, but am finding it hard to turn back on to play.  I think its the lack of a feeling of progression really.

Even though there are different spells, they don't feel drastically different.  All enemies from the start of the game to now feel basically the same in combat encounters.

I still plan to finish it, but I was surprised at just how fast and hard I fell off this.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

It's not coming in April. They moved it back, I believe to May.

Give up the ghost of PS4. It's done! :p 

You’re right, they delayed the PS4 version another month to May 5th. I think at this point that I’m going to stop buying PS4 versions of bigger cross-gen games like this, because I’m tired of playing the gimped versions of them. This will give me more games to look forward to when I get a PS5.

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I need some help. I'm very close to beating this but I'm confused in this section. I guess I'll put up spoilers:

Hide contents

I mounted the Graphorn for on the final quests. But I got off of him and now I don't know how to summon him?

Any help?

Spoiler

Google it

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I need some help. I'm very close to beating this but I'm confused in this section. I guess I'll put up spoilers:

Hide contents

I mounted the Graphorn for on the final quests. But I got off of him and now I don't know how to summon him?

Any help?

should be the same as riding the broom, but you need to make sure he’s selected as your mount in inventory

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:
  Hide contents

Google it

I googled and used YouTube.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hide contents

should be the same as riding the broom, but you need to make sure he’s selected as your mount in inventory

I'll have to keep looking because I couldn't find that option. 

Beat this today. Overall, fantastic game that kinda wore out its welcome nearing the end. They did a phenomenal job creating such a magical world with great characters and combat. The story was just ok but for their first shot at an open world RPG, this is quite the accomplishment. I really look forward to a sequel.

• Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The PS4 version of this finally came out today, and it looks and runs really good:

I’m going to buy a PS5 when the Pro comes out but that probably won’t be until the end of this year at the earliest, so I’m going to go ahead and buy this for PS4 since I want to play it now.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

The PS4 version of this finally came out today, and it looks and runs really good:

I’m going to buy a PS5 when the Pro comes out, but that probably won’t be until the end of this year at the earliest. So I’m going to go ahead and buy this for PS4 since I want to play it now.

Go ahead and play it now. You're not a graphics guy and the gsme is phenomenal. Get to it!

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Go ahead and play it now. You're not a graphics guy and the gsme is phenomenal. Get to it!

While I’m not really a graphics guy, I still like the PS4 versions of cross-gen games to look and perform the best that they can on it and at least be somewhat comparable to the current gen versions with perhaps just having a little lower resolutions and framerates. That’s how the PS4 versions of Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok are, and that’s how Hogwarts Legacy appears to be as well. So I know that I will be satisfied with the quality of it on PS4 unlike something like Dead Island 2 that looks and runs significantly better on PS5 which is why I’m going to wait to get it when I get a PS5.

• Hugs 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:16 PM, Phaseknox said:

I’m going to buy a PS5 when the Pro comes out but that probably won’t be until the end of this year at the earliest, so I’m going to go ahead and buy this for PS4 since I want to play it now.

PS5 pro is definitely not coming until the end of 2024, if at all. Theres no rumors of it happening sooner.

• True 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:42 PM, Phaseknox said:

While I’m not really a graphics guy, I still like the PS4 versions of cross-gen games to look and perform the best that they can on it and at least be somewhat comparable to the current gen versions with perhaps just having a little lower resolutions and framerates. That’s how the PS4 versions of Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok are, and that’s how Hogwarts Legacy appears to be as well. So I know that I will be satisfied with the quality of it on PS4 unlike something like Dead Island 2 that looks and runs significantly better on PS5 which is why I’m going to wait to get it when I get a PS5.

I don’t think you have seen the difference between FW on PS4 and pS5 if you think it’s just lower resolution. It’s missing tons of detail and foliage, IQ, and framerate. It’s honestly not even close. 

Frankly, it should have been the first PS5 only game. It looked good, but could have been even better if not for the old ball and chain that is PS4. 

• True 1

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

PS5 pro is definitely not coming until the end of 2024, if at all. Theres no rumors of it happening sooner.

I have 800+ PS4 games, so I’m in no real rush to get a PS5 right now. I can wait until next year to get a PS5 Pro.