Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

On 5/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, Phaseknox said:

While I’m not really a graphics guy, I still like the PS4 versions of cross-gen games to look and perform the best that they can on it and at least be somewhat comparable to the current gen versions with perhaps just having a little lower resolutions and framerates. That’s how the PS4 versions of Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok are, and that’s how Hogwarts Legacy appears to be as well. So I know that I will be satisfied with the quality of it on PS4 unlike something like Dead Island 2 that looks and runs significantly better on PS5 which is why I’m going to wait to get it when I get a PS5.

You crazy. We aren’t promised tomorrow. Enjoy today. 

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Enjoy your ten-year-old tech.

A lot of people with the most powerful gaming PCs are looking forward to the new Zelda game on Switch more than any other game this year, and it’s even older tech than the PS4. I play more indies than big AAA games these days, so I’m still good with the PS4 for now. And some big AAA games such as God of War: Ragnarok still look pretty damn good on it as well. I’m of course going to get a PS5, but I want to wait and get the Pro. I have more than enough PS4 games to keep me busy until it comes out.

• Like 1
  • True 1

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

A lot of people with the most powerful gaming PCs are looking forward to the new Zelda game on Switch more than any other game this year, and it’s even older tech than the PS4. I play more indies than big AAA games these days, so I’m still good with the PS4 for now. And some big AAA games such as God of War: Ragnarok still look pretty damn good on it as well. I’m of course going to get a PS5, but I want to wait and get the Pro. I have more than enough PS4 games to keep me busy until it comes out.

:shrug:

I'm not.

I'm trying to convince some of the people on this forum that 80 fps on SW:JS is "OK" performance.

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yes, and every one of them, myself included, wish it was on any other system. I abhor the Switch, it’s something I play because I have no other choice. And I expect it to run badly like most of the catalog.

people are excited to play Tears, not excited to play it on Switch. 

I am not a graphics whore, but I absolutely won’t do 30fps unless I have no choice. Then theres load times. Ill never play a game off anything but an SSD ever again. I forgot how awful load times were until I was at a buddies watching him playing TLoU2 on PS4. 

• Like 1

I'm excited to play it on Switch.  The form factor works perfectly for my lifestyle right now (newborn duty, split joycon ftw).  Nintendo also spent 6 years on this and knew the hardware expectations the whole time.  Hopefully that translates to a better game for the approach they took, building off of BoTW.

Better resolution/framerate would be preferred of course (and possible with emulation), but I like the idea of a swan song to send off hardware as its thoroughly understood.  I get the nagging feeling that'll still be XB3 however, at least in terms of IQ for a world this big.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

And, you're emulating them on a computer with a 4090 and a $3,000 monitor.

I play my retro games on original systems. Systems are modded with RGB and HDMI to give them a crisper look on modern TVs, but still. 

And I still game on a high end PC with newer stuff. You can enjoy both. 

• 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

color me surprised but the game looks and plays fairly good on the switch

I saw a head to head comparison of the Switch version and the PS5 version. It's not even fuckin close. Then compare that to high end PC's. The Switch version is SEVERELY stripped down. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I saw a head to head comparison of the Switch version and the PS5 version. It's not even fuckin close. Then compare that to high end PC's. The Switch version is SEVERELY stripped down. 

No question the graphics don't compare but the switch is 7 years old so...big surprise, right?

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok. I had heard the biggest problem was the loading in the open world. 

The loads many of the areas are very quick for the most part so far. The only ones that aren't more than a 10-15 seconds or so are when you switch between other major areas of the game ie castle transition to hogsmeade or when entering/exiting the various shops in hogsmeade but even then they aren't horrible. As I said I'm early on (maybe 3 hours) so I haven't seen/done too much yet

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

No question the graphics don't compare but the switch is 7 years old so...big surprise, right?

The loads many of the areas are very quick for the most part so far. The only ones that aren't more than a 10-15 seconds or so are when you switch between other major areas of the game ie castle transition to hogsmeade or when entering/exiting the various shops in hogsmeade but even then they aren't horrible. As I said I'm early on (maybe 3 hours) so I haven't seen/done too much yet

The other versions don’t load at all entering buildings in Hosmeade. 

25 minutes ago, johnny said:

it’s an awesome game 

don’t think it really got a fair shake from some people because of jk rowling 

Yeah it was an excellent game. I wonder if we will get an expansion or if they will go straight to a sequel. It sold a metric ton so I’d say a lot of people did give it a fair shake still and the developer will definitely get whatever budget they need to move forward on the franchise. I think they did a good job erasing some of her stain with improved diversity on display.

20 hours ago, johnny said:

it’s an awesome game 

don’t think it really got a fair shake from some people because of jk rowling 

It is currently the best selling game of this year, and is on pace to be the first best selling game of the year that isn't COD or from Rockstar since 2015.  "Some people" are disconnected with most people.

Dude at some point with cancel culture I was great like... You realise how many movies were directly or indirectly produced by Harvey Weinstein? Turns out it's a metric fuckton of them. He still (presumably) gets paid for every movie produced under miramax or the Weinstein brothers while he was a partner. Every time you watch Pulp Fiction? That's money in his pockets. Same with every Kevin Smith movie, Good Will Hunting, and a bunch of other shit on top of that.

Yes, JK Rowling presumably makes a bit of money every time someone buys hogwarts Legacy, and she sucks. Literally thousands of people worked on that game, and some of them deliberately tried to distance their selves from her as much as possible. If you don't want to buy the game because it JK Rowling, that's fair, but also... She won't give two fucks because she's still a billionaire, meanwhile it does actually affect the developer who has never even met her.

• 3 weeks later...
VARIETY.COM

"Hogwarts Legacy" crossed 22 million copies sold by the end of 2023, with approximately 2 million of those units selling during the holiday season.

“Hogwarts Legacy” crossed 22 million copies sold by the end of 2023, with approximately 2 million of those units selling during the December holiday season, according to Warner Bros. Games.

“But it’s not just the unit sold that I’m so proud of, it’s just that it delighted the fans so much,” Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment president David Haddad, whose team also launched the hit title “Mortal Kombat 1” last year, told Variety. “It brought Harry Potter to life in a new way for gamers where they could be themselves in this world, in this story. And that’s what the team at Avalanche set out to do when they were developing the game and I think that’s really why it resonated so well and remains the best-selling game of the year in the entire industry worldwide. That’s a position that typically is held by one of these incumbent’s sequel games and we’re so proud that we’ve been able to break into the top ranks.”

I’m not super familiar with HP are there a lot of towns and cities they could build out to expand the open world? Pretty much what I’m familiar with is already in the game. I’m curious where they go from here. Main mission variety and more exciting set pieces/locations outside of the open world is what could use improvement the most anyway I guess.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m not super familiar with HP are there a lot of towns and cities they could build out to expand the open world? Pretty much what I’m familiar with is already in the game. I’m curious where they go from here. Main mission variety and more exciting set pieces/locations outside of the open world is what could use improvement the most anyway I guess.

Other magical schools/communities are referenced, but aren’t shown in the books/movies. London is basically the only other major location that would be large enough for a game, but that’s limited to a few specific magical locations hidden in the city. 

I probably mentioned it before somewhere else in this giant thread, but a good way to expand the world would actually be taking another crack at Fantastic Beasts. That should be a story of adventure, traveling the world and studying/rescuing magical creatures, not… whatever the fuck is happening in those movies. 

• Halal 1

I actually wouldn’t mind if they just picked one of those other schools and designed it themselves from scratch, might actually allow them to do some cool stuff with more creative freedom. Then they still have Hogwarts they can keep in it for the nostalgia stuff. Maybe some rival schools story or something.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

If I were them, I would do the sequel at a different time, rather than a different place.