Where are you at with child production?

Fizzzzle

I know people like @sblfilms and @Ominoushave already done their part to keep the population stable. I know @Chris-and @CastlevaniaNut18 have not taken such steps.

do you have kids already? Are you done pumping out hellspawn? Do you never want kids?

I had a conversation with my dad today where I told him that me and my ex were basically like "if it happens, it happens." He seemed shocked, I think because he thinks I would be an awful father. I respectfully disagree, but whatever. My brother is also apparently going to go for babies with his fiance. Given that, plus my sisters have 5 kids between them, there's no pressure. I can just chill.

Yeah, we have three (15 year old boy, 12 year old boy, 10 year old girl) and are done with biological reproduction. I personally find parenting to be a rather rewarding thing and actually enjoy being around my children.

Our plan for our 50s, or maybe a little earlier, is to foster/adopt high school age kids as that age cohort is pretty much forgotten by society and there is real opportunity to aid people in setting a better course for life. Even just having a place to go when times are tough, or for the holidays when you want to be with family.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, we have three (15 year old boy, 12 year old boy, 10 year old girl) and are done with biological reproduction. I personally find parenting to be a rather rewarding thing and actually enjoy being around my children.

Our plan for our 50s, or maybe a little earlier, is to foster/adopt high school age kids as that age cohort is pretty much forgotten by society and there is real opportunity to aid people in setting a better course for life. Even just having a place to go when times are tough, or for the holidays when you want to be with family.

You know you don't like *have* to flex how good of a person you are and that you have the means to change things. That's just a choice you make.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Childcare ain't cheap.

Makes me think how lucky our parents were. Both of us grew up living nextdoor to grandparents and our grandmothers didn't work. That was free/cheap childcare right there. We don't have that option now.

I'll give you that. We were fortunate.  Had our kids in child care only for a couple years, then I started making enough money that the Woman didn't have to work.  Having a stay-at-home parent cuts the cost of ages 1 thru "can be home alone after school" dramatically.

For some inexplicable reason, I have had the desire to keep the bloodline going. Of course, there really is no "bloodline" as my father isn't biologically related to his father but we do have his last name. And my Grandfather's blood related son only had a daughter so the name won't last there either. But I don't really see myself getting into any kind of relationship so any desires I have had in this regard have pretty much faded away. My younger brother is married but there is a slew of issues there so him having a kid gets unlikelier by the day. There there is all of the health related issues I could pass on from mental to physical and there is no world in which I am actually capable of raising children without them growing up to be deficient in some way. 

So, production hasn't even started and it most likely never will and it really shouldn't either. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

my brother loves to complain about how much daycare costs 

Yeah, CNut reminded me of the whole daycare thing.  It is expensive if you can't afford to have a parent at home.  We were lucky that we, for the most part, could.

7 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah, CNut reminded me of the whole daycare thing.  It is expensive if you can't afford to have a parent at home.  We were lucky that we, for the most part, could.

When we had our first, Juanita was set to return to work after 2 months of maternity leave. At the time her income was about 60% of our total. The Friday before her return date she came to me crying and just kept saying she didn’t want to go back to work. At the time I was running my dad’s locksmith shop and also taking night school classes for college. I spent the rest of the day figuring out what we would have to do to make it work.

It was tough to give up the additional income at first, but we wouldn’t trade my wife being home with the kids for any money. The value can’t be counted in dollars for us.

2 and done. It's tough for me. I had a brother. My SO had two siblings. We thought two would be nice, to keep one another company, but my son has CP Daughter doesn't understand he needs some extra help doing the things she does. Nothing is going as planned.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've lost count of the number of "one and done" dates I've had because when the subject of children came up, I honestly admitted that not only did I not want children, but I also just don't like being in any proximity to them.

My last 2 girlfriends have had kids, so it's totally fine. I'm not playing stepdad, though, or at least I'm not promising that.

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

My last 2 girlfriends have had kids, so it's totally fine. I'm not playing stepdad, though, or at least I'm not promising that.

Oh - it's waaaaaaaaaaay beyond that with me.

For me, just hearing a child's voice elicits the same reaction as nails scratching across a chalkboard.

• Haha 1