Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Despite their recent struggles, Xbox has some idea as a game company on how to make games while Embracer just collected and had no end game in place.

FWIW, it'd be nice if MSFT focused on reestablishing their own IPs that were popular on OG Xbox and got thrown out the window because Mattrick sucked ass, instead of just buying every studio. Microsoft games were a force back in the 90s and early 2000s on PC, and some of their in-house IPs from OG Xbox would probably do well today (Especially Crimson Skies and Mech Assault) 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW, it'd be nice if MSFT focused on reestablishing their own IPs that were popular on OG Xbox and got thrown out the window because Mattrick sucked ass, instead of just buying every studio. Microsoft games were a force back in the 90s and early 2000s on PC, and some of their in-house IPs from OG Xbox would probably do well today (Especially Crimson Skies and Mech Assault) 

Now that they have Activision the acquisition of Bizarre Creations has come full circle. Time to bring back Project Gotham Racing spacer.png

• Hype 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Spencer said he is interested in bringing Mech Assault back. With Lamplighters League being a bomb they could probably buy up HBS easily and make it happen.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Now that they have Activision the acquisition of Bizarre Creations has come full circle. Time to bring back Project Gotham Racing spacer.png

Blur please without CoD style progression. 

6 hours ago, outsida said:

I don’t know where I heard but it’s suggested that Toys for Bob could do a Banjo Kazooie remake in the same vein as Spyro/Crash

The biggest problem there is they have too few teams willing to tackle projects like that.  Rare’s been gutted of its historical competencies, Vicarious Visions can’t even make Tony Hawk let alone a mascot platformer while folded into Blizzard.   

I’d love to see Microsoft restructure to hit more family friendly content.  But that’s what it would take.  Can’t just let them continue the status quo if we want to see franchises like these return.  Otherwise, it’s all on one studio.

On 10/14/2023 at 1:44 AM, jaethos said:

I believe Playground was formed by a bunch of ex Bizarre people. This would allow them to make a PGR game to go along with Forza Horizon.

Playground is making Forza Horizon, and are just expanding to make Fable.  I don't think they have the capacity to make a third franchise.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

At this point Biggie is definitely gonna have shaky hands and a tear rolling down his cheek as he votes for trump in 24

Nah. I’ve come to the realization that no matter who is in charge be that republican or democrat we are all gonna get fucked anyway so what’s the point in voting. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:50 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Keeping all of those separate publishing arms has to be the least efficient structure in the history of video game publishing.

I feel like it's not a terrible idea on some level -- a massive amount of IPs and project proposals and such being filtered through the same few suits might get too many eggs in the same basket, or a lot of similar feeling games being approved. I kinda feel like that's what's going on with Sony over the past several years.

That said, I'm sure you could accomplish that without basically entirely separate publishing entities.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I feel like it's not a terrible idea on some level -- a massive amount of IPs and project proposals and such being filtered through the same few suits might get too many eggs in the same basket, or a lot of similar feeling games being approved. I kinda feel like that's what's going on with Sony over the past several years.

That said, I'm sure you could accomplish that without basically entirely separate publishing entities.

Organizing things in areas of focus makes sense.  Organizing based on the historical publishing entities doesn't.

For instance -- having a mobile arm like King makes sense.  Having Doom, Gears of War and Call of Duty under different publishing arms -- while deciding Starfield and Doom should share a decision maker....  Is tougher to understand.