Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

Because this represents a material change in the terms of the transaction, there's the possibility that this attempt to assuage the concerns of the CMA might require another review of the deal by the European Commission.

acastro_STK048_04.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Microsoft’s deal restructuring could trigger a fresh EU investigation.

Microsoft announced a restructuring of its proposed Activision Blizzard acquisition earlier today that involves transferring cloud gaming rights for current and new Activision Blizzard games to Ubisoft. It’s a big change in Microsoft’s $68.7 billion deal that’s designed to appease UK regulators that blocked the acquisition earlier this year, but it might also trigger a refresh review from the EU.

“The Commission is carefully assessing whether the developments in the UK require another notification to the Commission,” says European Commission spokesperson Arianna Podesta in a statement to The Verge.

Another notification to the EU could signal a further review of a deal that regulators at the European Commission cleared earlier this year. While the EU had cloud gaming concerns just like the EU, it secured remedies as part of that approval, granting EU consumers a free license to stream via “any cloud game streaming services of their choice” all current and future Activision Blizzard PC and console games that they have a license for. Cloud providers will also be offered a free license to stream these games in EU markets.

• 5 weeks later...
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

UK regulatory body the Competition and Markets Authority is reportedly preparing to share its preliminary judgement on …

UK regulatory body the Competition and Markets Authority is reportedly preparing to share its preliminary judgement on Microsoft's revised Activision Blizzard deal next week.

The CMA is, of course, Microsoft's last remaining hurdle in getting its proposed $69bn acquisition of Activision Blizzard over the finish line after the UK regulator made the shock decision to block the deal in April, highlighting concerns relating to the burgeoning cloud gaming sector and arguing the deal would risk "stifling competition in this growing market".

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: UK CMA expected to deliver preliminary judgement on revised deal next week

I sort of don’t care. I already had to buy Diablo 4, so the value to me for this deal is none existent. It’s definitely going through, so my desire to see governments clamp down on all this consolidation and big companies getting bigger and bigger just isn’t happening. Really if this deal kept getting stretched out it would be closer to me getting what I want. But it’s inevitable. 

governments could just say no. Do they have legal reason to? No. But nobody is going to revolt or go to war because MS can’t buy COD or put Diablo 2 on game pass. Nobody. So just say no. There’s no Jan 6th happening to ensure Overwatch 3 is Xbox exclusive. Just tell the companies to fuck off. They’re not going to go out of business out of spite. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I sort of don’t care. I already had to buy Diablo 4, so the value to me for this deal is none existent. It’s definitely going through, so my desire to see governments clamp down on all this consolidation and big companies getting bigger and bigger just isn’t happening. Really if this deal kept getting stretched out it would be closer to me getting what I want. But it’s inevitable. 

governments could just say no. Do they have legal reason to? No. But nobody is going to revolt or go to war because MS can’t buy COD or put Diablo 2 on game pass. Nobody. So just say no. There’s no Jan 6th happening to ensure Overwatch 3 is Xbox exclusive. Just tell the companies to fuck off. They’re not going to go out of business out of spite. 

Like Bethesda, you’ll see the results of this work in Microsoft’s favor eventually.  And yours, if Games Pass access is what you’re prioritizing.  It’s going to take some time though.

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Like Bethesda, you’ll see the results of this work in Microsoft’s favor eventually.  And yours, if Games Pass access is what you’re prioritizing.  It’s going to take some time though.

I’m sure eventually. It’s just there’s so few games ABK has that I care even a little about. If anything it now gives me no excuse not to play COD with some people, because they’ll be able to say “bro you have GamePass. Just download it”. Yeah, best to just cancel the whole thing MS. 

The CMA has granted preliminary approval to close the restructured deal.  All indications are that it will be finalized shortly after October 6.

WWW.GOV.UK

The sale of Activision’s cloud gaming rights to Ubisoft substantially addresses previous concerns and opens the door to the deal being cleared, the CMA said today.

The CMA considers that the restructured deal makes important changes that substantially address the concerns it set out in relation to the original transaction earlier this year.

In particular, the sale of Activision’s cloud streaming rights to Ubisoft will prevent this important content – including games such as Call of Duty, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft – from coming under the control of Microsoft in relation to cloud gaming. The CMA originally found that Microsoft already has a strong position in cloud gaming services and could have used its control over Activision content to stifle competition and reinforce this position. The new deal instead results in the cloud streaming rights for Activision’s games being transferred to an independent player, Ubisoft, maintaining open competition as the market for cloud gaming develops over the coming years.

While the restructured deal is materially different to the previous transaction and substantially addresses most concerns, the CMA has limited residual concerns that certain provisions in the sale of Activision’s cloud streaming rights to Ubisoft could be circumvented, terminated, or not enforced.

To address these concerns, Microsoft has offered remedies to ensure that the terms of the sale of Activision’s rights to Ubisoft are enforceable by the CMA. The CMA has provisionally concluded that this additional protection should resolve those residual concerns.

The CMA has now opened a consultation, until 6 October, on Microsoft’s proposed remedies.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: UK CMA provisionally approves restructured deal, final closing expected shortly after October 6
  • 3 weeks later...
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

It's looking increasingly likely Microsoft's proposed $69bn USD acquisition of Activision Blizzard will have cleared it…

It's looking increasingly likely Microsoft's proposed $69bn USD acquisition of Activision Blizzard will have cleared its final hurdle if - as is widely expected - UK regulators approve the revised deal later this week; it's being reported EU regulators won't require an investigation into the revised terms, clearing the way for the acquisition to conclude.

The European Commission approved Microsoft's original acquisition proposal back in May after successfully securing a number of concessions to lessen the deal's potential impact on the emerging cloud gaming market. However, Microsoft was forced to submit a revised proposal after the deal was blocked by the UK's Competition and Markets Authority.

These revised terms - which will give Ubisoft exclusive control of streaming rights for Activision's titles outside of the EU - were provisionally approved by the CMA in September, and the regulator is expected to formally approve the deal this Friday, 13th October.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: European Commission reportedly will NOT require new review of revised deal
11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I need to get a good headset for my Series X for multiplayer games. With the PS5 I just use the Duel Sense headset which is perfectly fine with me. I don’t need anything special or expensive. Any recommendations?

@best3444

@stepee

@skillzdadirecta

@JPDunks4

@Spawn_of_Apathy

@AbsolutSurgen

@Spork3245

@Keyser_Soze

I use an EPOS H6PRO headset (Open side version) on my PC (that I purchased open box).  Very happy with it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I need to get a good headset for my Series X for multiplayer games. With the PS5 I just use the Duel Sense headset which is perfectly fine with me. I don’t need anything special or expensive. Any recommendations?

@best3444

@stepee

@skillzdadirecta

@JPDunks4

@Spawn_of_Apathy

@AbsolutSurgen

@Spork3245

@Keyser_Soze

HyperX Cloud Stinger – Gaming Headset, Lightweight, Comfortable Memory Foam, Swivel to Mute Noise-Cancellation Mic, Works on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One/Series X|S, Nintendo Switch and Mobile ,Black https://a.co/d/iWiQGaR 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@best3444

@stepee

@skillzdadirecta

@JPDunks4

@Spawn_of_Apathy

@AbsolutSurgen

@Spork3245

@Keyser_Soze

I used these for Xbox:

WWW.RIGGAMING.COM

Unreal Comfort and Premium Sound. Lightweight design delivers unrivaled gaming comfort with up to 12 hours of wireless game audio and chat.

I found them quite comfortable and they are designed for Xbox’s software atmos thing. I got them like 6 years ago though so there may be better ones now, including I see the same company makes a new premium model which might be nice. The price is about half what I paid back then though and probably a good pick up for the $80 I see them on amazon. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@best3444

@stepee

@skillzdadirecta

@JPDunks4

@Spawn_of_Apathy

@AbsolutSurgen

@Spork3245

@Keyser_Soze

I use the official wireless Xbox headset. It normally runs $100. I think my friend said they’re running a 5% off sale (unenthusiastic yippie). I can’t vouch for cheaper alternatives as when I did I often would get mic issues or cord issues near the 3.5mm jack and need to replace the cheap ones every year. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

like the Sony's.  $100

Then yeah, I’m kind of a fan or these. 
Xbox Wireless Headset – Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows Devices https://a.co/d/1irXfH2

my friend also synced his to his phone, so he can accept calls and talk to a person on the phone while we can still hear him. lol I think he can hear us too, but we can’t hear the other person and the other person can’t hear us. It’s kind of wild. 

Xbox isn’t doing the fancy 3D audio Sony is at the moment. So it’s probably not going to sound as good. But I like them. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Xbox Wireless Headset – Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows Devices https://a.co/d/1irXfH2

my friend also synced his to his phone, so he can accept calls and talk to a person on the phone while we can still hear him. lol I think he can hear us too, but we can’t hear the other person and the other person can’t hear us. It’s kind of wild. 

Xbox isn’t doing the fancy 3D audio Sony is at the moment. So it’s probably not going to sound as good. But I like them. 

Xbox has Atmos (since XboneX) so should be pretty similar. You have to pay $10 to Dolby to unlock it but some headphones come with a code for free.

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Thanks.  Those look perfect for what I’m locking for. 

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I got Microsoft’s headset. If I can find them, you can have them. I don’t use headsets anymore. 

Why not?