Reddit files paperwork with the SEC to take the company public

acastro_180413_1777_reddit_0001.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The company was valued at $10 billion in August

Reddit announced late Wednesday that it has started the process of taking the company public, by filing a confidential S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The number of shares to be offered, and the price range for the proposed offering haven’t been determined yet, the company said, adding that it was in a quiet period and could not provide further details for regulatory reasons, which is standard practice.

The company has been rumored to be considering an IPO for some time, and in August announced it had raised a $700 million round of funding at a valuation of more than $10 billion.

I like reddit. Then again I don't post much on it. Most positing has been done of specific video game subreddits. When it comes to something more "news" related I just read the comments cuz that's fun. That said, if this kills reddit, I'll find it hilarious. Part of me wants it to die just so I know these bigger social media platforms can still die.  

Hard to imagine that they'll continue with their existing content policy if they need to increase revenue.

I like Reddit well enough, but the product really needs some work. I really hope that they don't end up going the way of Twitter and killing off the ecosystem of Reddit apps, which have been by far the best way to use the site for years.

The thing about Reddit that I like the most is that different communities build up their own set of rules and are able to uphold those rules pretty well. All social media has a problem with moderation, Reddit included, but I think Reddit's ideas might actually work. It alleviates the site at large from having to do too much action in removing individual posts, and allows them to just ban whole communities when they are a problem.

That's not to say that Reddit's moderation solution is perfect. Subreddits get taken control of by malicious actors, it can be difficult to maintain rules within a given community, and of course, all that moderation is being done by volunteers, which makes it feel like a house of cards that could fall at any moment.

I generally like Reddit as well. It's a good way of finding a collective discussion about without getting too bogged down by community drama. I can follow a subreddit for years and never recognize another user name. Going public will almost certainly be a negative for user experience.

Reddit is the only social media service that I like. It's the only forum that seems like the natural progression of forums such as this one to a grander scale. 

I hate literally every other social networking service. I think my facebook picture is 8 years old and I never post.

This IPO is not good for the product IMO.

• True 1

34 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Reddit is the only social media service that I like. It's the only forum that seems like the natural progression of forums such as this one to a grander scale. 

I hate literally every other social networking service. I think my facebook picture is 8 years old and I never post.

This IPO is not good for the product IMO.

Every bad move reddit has made over the years has been tied to an attempt to monetize the userbase. The whole new reddit thing is apparently about monetization for example. So yeah, going public is going to be all of their bad decisions on steroids.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Every bad move reddit has made over the years has been tied to an attempt to monetize the userbase. The whole new reddit thing is apparently about monetization for example. So yeah, going public is going to be all of their bad decisions on steroids.

104127709-GettyImages-622848898.jpg?v=15
WWW.CNBC.COM

At its latest valuation of $3 billion, Reddit's 330 million monthly active users are valued much lower than those on other social networks.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

104127709-GettyImages-622848898.jpg?v=15
WWW.CNBC.COM

At its latest valuation of $3 billion, Reddit's 330 million monthly active users are valued much lower than those on other social networks.

I hate the discussion of user value on any social network, not just because it’s gross, but because it also fails object permanence tests.

”Our users and our data give is valuable insight, destroy other industries to feed our ouroboros. Wait we got hacked? That data is useless, don’t fine me bro.”