Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance

Commissar SFLUFAN

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

Not being a dick or criticizing. You said I don’t have any friends on PlayStation and I said I believe you. But you might wanna stop saying you are going to add me when clearly you aren’t and lying.  

Lying? I litteraly forget when I get on to play. I'll add you but relax lol.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Aren't you supposed to be able to switch to Saga (the lady) at any time and play her part which seems to be more straightforward action?

In the first 3 chapters I never had that option. Playing as Saga was way more intriguing than playing as Alan Wake. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

In the first 3 chapters I never had that option. Playing as Saga was way more intriguing than playing as Alan Wake. 

I have no idea how it works honestly. I'm just going with what it sounded like by the preview coverage. It sounded like a GTA situation where you could play as one or the other and the story would progress in one timeline as you went along. Perhaps I misinterpreted it. 🤷‍♀️

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have no idea how it works honestly. I'm just going with what it sounded like by the preview coverage. It sounded like a GTA situation where you could play as one or the other and the story would progress in one timeline as you went along. Perhaps I misinterpreted it. 🤷‍♀️

It may be an option later on. I appreciate the help though. 

On 10/29/2023 at 9:02 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, I cleared Chapter 1 and am now working through chapter 2. I am fairly impressed with AW II's visuals, but god damn is the "Mind Place" and most of the openning dialog just off putting as Hell. Look, I'm all good for campy dialog in a video game about a pulp fiction writer dealing with Twin Peaks style super natural events. I adored the original game, but some of the dialog in this intro is such a grab bag of throw away cliche that it rivals a CBS primte time drama. If that were the worst of it then onward with nary a comment, but Saga's inner dialog is staight up insulting to the player. Its a form of casual torture to listen to these silly musings. Mind you the actress's voice work is fine, its just the dialog that is quite dumb. I really hope the dialog gets better and soon!

Based on what you've posted, would you be inclined to agree with these thoughts expressed by the Eurogamer reviewer?

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer's review of Alan Wake 2, a gorgeous but relentlessly meta game about writing that badly needs an editor.

• Halal 1

Just reached chapter 3 and the mixture of True Detective and Twin Peaks has been really good. I'm only like 3 hours in so things have remained pretty basic but you can tell from the tool tips things will pick up as time goes on. Really strong Stephen King's The Outsider vibes as well. The sometimes overbearing writing is part of the point, it wouldn't be Alan Wake without it. The game drips atmosphere and its tone is really strong with excellent graphics, cinematography, music, sound design, and direction. I really enjoy the Mind Palace's gameplay but so far that's been relatively straightforward but I can see that piling up and getting harder as you open more cases and have to parse clues across multiple cases (strong Heavy Rain vibes here, which I liked). I think people are judging this game too early/too fast, getting to chapter 3 requires less than playing for 3 hours. It's clearly a slow burn - the game's only 15-22 hours, so I bet things are gonna go off the rails soon - we'll see.

• Thanks 1

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Why it's taken so many years for mesh shaders to actually be used in a game.

TL;DR version to begin with. Mesh shaders let game developers process polygons with far more power and control than the old vertex shaders ever did. So much so, that games of the near future could be throwing billions of triangles around the screen and your GPU will just breeze through it all.

If you're wondering how on earth that could be possible, then carry on reading to find out!

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Based on what you've posted, would you be inclined to agree with these thoughts expressed by the Eurogamer reviewer?

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer's review of Alan Wake 2, a gorgeous but relentlessly meta game about writing that badly needs an editor.

Not who you asked, but I read that review and was struck by the lack of self-awareness given the subject matter.  I like several of the points the author makes, but it's mostly just over-written drivel.  "...There's a conscious parallel between deconstruction and dismemberment as a means to enlightenment. "  Uhhh, not sure about that. 

I'm still relatively early in the game, but at this point I'm actually surprised at how non-divisive the general review scores are.  Despite Remedy's insistence that this game stands alone, I'm not seeing it.  This is a game specifically for people who have been stewing on what a sequel to Alan Wake would or could be for thirteen years.  This includes the developer, since Remedy is very self-consciously drawing a line between their process for bringing about this sequel and Alan's situation in the game.  This is also very specifically for people who thought the best parts of the first game were the sections where you walked leisurely and soaked in the atmosphere.  At about seven hours in, that means the game is very, very much for me, but I would imagine I don't make up a huge portion of the general gaming audience at this point. 

Alan Wake II is decidedly not for people who just watched a recap of the first game, or who are coming into Remedy games fresh.  The closest comparison to this in my mind would be Twin Peaks The Return; an absolutely incredible experience that is uncompromising in its vision, a middle finger directed at modern television audiences who expect to be catered to.  Remedy isn't trolling as hard as David Lynch, but this is a radical work that fully follows the whims of the artists without much thought given to the audience's wishes or expectations.  If you're wondering how often this sort of thing happens in big budget video games, the answer is never.

I don't have much to criticize in the way of dialog or how the game's written.  It's very Remedy/Sam Lake, and you enjoy it warts and all, or you find it sophomoric and off-putting.  My main gripe so far would be how nonchalantly Saga reacts to things that are completely insane, even very early in the game.  She basically just finds them to be natural bits of her investigation.  Perhaps there is a reason for this later, but it strikes me as just clunky characterization.

I also find the combat to very punchy and fun, though it's very, very sparse.  The mind place and plot board elements are not well introduced in my opinion, but they become much more interesting once you get a few chapters in.

For a specific audience, I think this game will hit them in a way that nothing has in a long time.  Without even finishing the game, I'm very curious where Remedy goes from here, as this feels like the apotheosis of their entire portfolio.  Though I know it's not, if this ended up as their last game, it would be understandable.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 2

2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Not who you asked, but I read that review and was struck by the lack of self-awareness given the subject matter.  I like several of the points the author makes, but it's mostly just over-written drivel.  "...There's a conscious parallel between deconstruction and dismemberment as a means to enlightenment. "  Uhhh, not sure about that. 

I'm still relatively early in the game, but at this point I'm actually surprised at how non-divisive the general review scores are.  Despite Remedy's insistence that this game stands alone, I'm not seeing it.  This is a game specifically for people who have been stewing on what a sequel to Alan Wake would or could be for thirteen years.  This includes the developer, since Remedy is very self-consciously drawing a line between their process for bringing about this sequel and Alan's situation in the game.  This is also very specifically for people who thought the best parts of the first game were the sections where you walked leisurely and soaked in the atmosphere.  At about seven hours in, that means the game is very, very much for me, but I would imagine I don't make up a huge portion of the general gaming audience at this point. 

Alan Wake II is decidedly not for people who just watched a recap of the first game, or who are coming into Remedy games fresh.  The closest comparison to this in my mind would be Twin Peaks The Return; an absolutely incredible experience that is uncompromising in its vision, a middle finger directed at modern television audiences who expect to be catered to.  Remedy isn't trolling as hard as David Lynch, but this is a radical work that fully follows the whims of the artists without much thought given to the audiences wishes or expectations.  If you're wondering how often this sort of thing happens in big budget video games, the answer is never.

I don't have much to criticize in the way of dialog or how the game's written.  It's very Remedy/Sam Lake, and you enjoy it warts and all, or you find it sophomoric and off-putting.  My main gripe so far would be how nonchalantly Saga reacts to things that are completely insane, even very early in the game.  She basically just finds them to be natural bits of her investigation.  Perhaps there is a reason for this later, but it strikes me as just clunky characterization.

I also find the combat to very punchy and fun, though it's very, very sparse.  The mind place and plot board elements are not well introduced in my opinion, but they become much more interesting once you get a few chapters in.

For a specific audience, I think this game will hit them in a way that nothing has in a long time.  Without even finishing the game, I'm very curious where Remedy goes from here, as this feels like an apotheosis of their entire portfolio.  Though I know it's not, if this ended up as their last game, it would be understandable.

Fantastic post. Thanks 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Alan Wake II is decidedly not for people who just watched a recap of the first game, or who are coming into Remedy games fresh.  The closest comparison to this in my mind would be Twin Peaks The Return; an absolutely incredible experience that is uncompromising in its vision, a middle finger directed at modern television audiences who expect to be catered to.  Remedy isn't trolling as hard as David Lynch, but this is a radical work that fully follows the whims of the artists without much thought given to the audiences wishes or expectations.  If you're wondering how often this sort of thing happens in big budget video games, the answer is never.

For a specific audience, I think this game will hit them in a way that nothing has in a long time.  Without even finishing the game, I'm very curious where Remedy goes from here, as this feels like an apotheosis of their entire portfolio.  Though I know it's not, if this ended up as their last game, it would be understandable.

I'm right there with you. I'm not as far in so I couldn't elaborate as much as you can, but the comparison to Twin Peaks: The Return is very apt. I didn't read the article but this is a game made for deep lore Alan Wake nerds, 100%. And Control. I mean, a technician working for the FBC shows up in the first 2 hours - if you're just jumping into Alan Wake II with having just watched only a recap of the first game and nothing else (as you said), all the implications of that would go over your head despite how important it is overall. As someone who played the first game 13 years ago and always wanted more, the game is tailor made for me. The best parts of Alan Wake are always when it leans hard into atmosphere, weird and good music, Lynchian stuff and walking around. I do enjoy the combat, your description of punchy is accurate.

And I agree - the Mind Palace stuff is somewhat poorly introduced but as I've gotten further into the game it's gotten more fun. As it continues to expand I imagine it'll begin to feel pretty cool. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

So how does this play on controller?  id probably get ps5 version soon if i get the itch

It's a third person game, so controller is better than KB/M here. It plays well on controller though I do sometimes find the Mind Palace stuff a little wonky which is something I could see working better with a mouse. But otherwise it plays like an RE4-style game (remake) should on controller. You even assign your limited inventory to slots and everything for quick use that looks very much like RE4R.

• Thanks 1

My take: The Alan Wake narrative portions are spot on for the intent of the piece. Alan Wake's narrative "voice" is that of a famous but mid tier pulp detective writer and they do a great job of meeting that tone. Its the inner monologues that are "beat you repeatedly over the head with the obvious points" bad. After 2 hours of this game's case/world building, I started to feel that Remedy truly believes we are CBS viewers, and that's not something to accept, let alone strive for! I considered a justification on Remedy's behalf, namely that I'm now a 47 year old gamer, but gams are still made for kids of all ages. But that argument doesn't hold water as I would have been insulted Agent Saga's "mind place" dialog even as a teen and given this game's brutality you can hardly argue this one's for the pre-teen crowd. Also and seriously, command center boards are for task forces, not for a singular individual. They allow 2nd and 3rd parties to be quickly brought up to speed, at a high level,  on racketeering cases and the like. I blame dumb shows like Homeland for this BS. Please stop. Please trust your audience just a bit more. If you're going to emulate Twin Peaks, then trust in us that you can weave an obtuse and bizarre piece of drama!  We can catch the crumbs you drop and assemble their collective meaning to form a story from context clues. Stop solving narrative gaps with painful exposition damn it! 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:27 AM, Moa said:

but their combat gameplay has never been good.

Max Payne says HELLO... that game revolutionized third person action games at the time it came out. EVERYBODY copied it for a couple of years following it and its' sequels release. Control had great combat as well.

I put some time into this last night and I'm enjoying it but I was really surprised by the universal praise its been getting. The writing is very ham-fisted in some areas and I can see a LOT of gamers being put off by the investigation gameplay. I'm a couple of hours in and I've fired my gun maybe once?  I'm cool with that because I enjoy story driven adventure games like this and the Supermassive games but it seems very niche for a mainstream title especially if you're expecting someting more like Resident Evil. Some story stuff aside? I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. Can't wait for it to get dark so i can dive back in.

35 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My take: The Alan Wake narrative portions are spot on for the intent of the piece. Alan Wake's narrative "voice" is that of a famous but mid tier pulp detective writer and they do a great job of meeting that tone. Its the inner monologues that are "beat you repeatedly over the head with the obvious points" bad. After 2 hours of this game's case/world building, I started to feel that Remedy truly believes we are CBS viewers, and that's not something to accept, let alone strive for! I considered a justification on Remedy's behalf, namely that I'm now a 47 year old gamer, but gams are still made for kids of all ages. But that argument doesn't hold water as I would have been insulted Agent Saga's "mind place" dialog even as a teen and given this game's brutality you can hardly argue this one's for the pre-teen crowd. Also and seriously, command center boards are for task forces, not for a singular individual. They allow 2nd and 3rd parties to be quickly brought up to speed, at a high level,  on racketeering cases and the like. I blame dumb shows like Homeland for this BS. Please stop. Please trust your audience just a bit more. If you're going to emulate Twin Peaks, then trust in us that you can weave an obtuse and bizarre piece of drama!  We can catch the crumbs you drop and assemble their collective meaning to form a story from context clues. Stop solving narrative gaps with painful exposition damn it! 

I haven't been nearly as bothered by any of what you're describing, but I think you're giving gamers far too much credit.  The average gamer isn't nearly on the same level as a CBS viewer, despite how depressing that sounds.  And I don't think it's about intelligence as much as it is just patience and general critical thought.

I think the mind place stuff exists purely as a cushion for people that are new to Remedy's games or did not play Alan Wake.  As frustrating as that is for more seasoned Remedy-heads, I think it makes sense when you consider that it could be a helpful visualization of specific story and plot threads that are admittedly difficult to keep in focus as the story's layers are so fluid and complex.  I have found myself going back to it and reading the snippets here and there, and for me it really works as a mechanic, but I completely understand somebody thinking it's obvious and bad.  I will say that Alan's plot board has been much more interesting, but I won't spoil why.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I haven't been nearly as bothered by any of what you're describing, but I think you're giving gamers far too much credit.  The average gamer isn't nearly on the same level as a CBS viewer, despite how depressing that sounds.  And I don't think it's about intelligence as much as it is just patience and general critical thought.

I think the mind place stuff exists purely as a cushion for people that are new to Remedy's games or did not play Alan Wake.  As frustrating as that is for more seasoned Remedy-heads, I think it makes sense when you consider that it could be a helpful visualization of specific story and plot threads that are admittedly difficult to keep in focus as the story's layers are so fluid and complex.  I have found myself going back to it and reading the snippets here and there, and for me it really works as a mechanic, but I completely understand somebody thinking it's obvious and bad.  I will say that Alan's plot board has been much more interesting, but I won't spoil why.

You paint a grim future sir, but perhaps you are correct! :cry:

5 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Agree with everything said here.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

On the other side, I find the mind place's organization of evidence and threads poor and I want to change it :p But you can't because the developer says this photo has to go "here" or Saga will be unable to start the next dialog.

And actually, I probably would have enjoyed an open-ended space to organize evidence much more. When I was a kid I fucking loved that Myst shipped with an empty journal to write in.

• Hugs 1

Ok, so I started over with a completely different mindset. I really paid attention on everything that was going on and how the mind space works. I played 3 hours and I have grown to really appreciate it. 

The first boss fight is down right frightening and extremely atmospheric. The entire game oozes with amazing detail and beautiful visuals. The map has helped me out, too. So, I will keep playing this and beat it now I know what type of game this is.

I completely forget Alan Wake 1 so I was coming into this as though it was a Resident Evil type game. Now that I'm accustomed to the style they are going for, I'm having a great time. I had to turn it off because I was playing 3 hours straight but I'm eager to see what happens next!

I never get tense in games but that first boss had my heart pounding lol. 

• Hype 1

i’ll again recommend this video if you don’t remember what all is going on up until now clearly:  

It has kept me feeling p up to date as I follow along to the new details. Dont forget it’s not just Alan Wake, there’s American Nightmare, the two dlc episodes, bright falls (online shorts) and a comic book I believe. Then there is also Control and especially its AWE dlc which also crosses with this. This touches on all that so it’s quite well rounded. 

It doesn’t touch on any Max Payne or QB connections as those won’t be established until potentially in this one. Max Payne connection is a bit obvious right away anyway lol

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

A couple of recent interviews with Sam Lake from GQ and the BBC:

WWW.GQ-MAGAZINE.CO.UK

After 2019’s Control became a breakout hit, Remedy’s creative director Sam Lake has returned with Alan Wake 2 – his strangest game yet.

Sam Lake did not intend for any of this to happen. Thirty years making cult classic video games. Becoming the face of Max Payne. Adopting a new name. “It is all one big fucking detour,” he tells me.

We are on the London Underground, somewhere between Tottenham Court Road and God knows where. It is one of those all-in-one weather days. Freezing in Helsinki at 5am, dropping bags in a muggy Soho at midday, at an East London game convention in the late-afternoon sun. (His forest-green velvet suit may have been a mistake.) Writing books was Lake’s original plan. I ask if he’s ever thought about doing anything else. Before he can answer, we are bustled off at our stop.

As creative director of Finnish studio Remedy Entertainment, Lake produces games that have a notoriously high-concept feel without the big budgets typically attached to cinematic single-player fare à la The Last of Us, Resident Evil and God of War. It has always been precarious – nigh on financially ruinous – to be an independent studio making technically and narratively ambitious games. It still is. This year alone, thousands of layoffs have hit studios such as the formerly impregnable Fortnite powerhouse, Epic. No games – especially not knowingly cerebral titles such as Remedy’s – are guaranteed moneymakers.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

After 13 years, Alan Wake's creator finally gets to release the sequel many thought wouldn't happen.

"It's been a great year to be a gamer."

This year has seen one of the strongest videogame line-ups in quite some time.

But what if you're a game maker about to release your most personal, ambitious project yet into the world?

Sam Lake, creative director at Remedy Entertainment, says it's a "thrilling" time but also a nervous one.

The studio's about to launch Alan Wake 2, the follow-up to its 2010 cult classic supernatural adventure about a writer whose words can reshape reality.

After a few false starts, the title character is back 13 years later, with a darker story and survival horror gameplay seen in titles like Resident Evil 4.

Early reviews suggest the wait has been worth it, and the sequel has been hailed as an "unconventional" thriller "masterpiece".

But for a long time, it looked like it wouldn't happen.

Sam, who wrote and co-directed the game, admits the "very personal project" is one he's been wanting to make for a long time.

I definitely don't disagree about the mind place.  In Saga's story it's pretty undercooked, though it does get more interesting the farther into the game you get and the more each case expands.  It does really interfere with the pacing though, as you need to check into the case board right when you get new clues, so you're bouncing back and forth quite a bit.

@best3444 Try to make it to at least the third chapter.  If you get lost, which is understandable, check the case board, as there are sometimes clues that you have to attach or deduce before the next context prompt will appear.  When you switch to Alan for the first time, there are a couple of weird puzzles that ultimately make sense but the game doesn't do a great job explaining a particular mechanic that he has. 

The game starts very, very slowly, but at that point the action and combat picks up and I think the encounters have been really fun and reminiscent of the first game.  There are lots of fair criticisms to level at the game, but what I've seen about the combat not being enjoyable I just can't agree with.  It's a lot like the first game, but the feedback is better and it's much more tense and strategic.

I have blinders on in general with this one just because I'm finding it so surreal and amazing to finally be playing.  I pored over Alan Wake, and was all but convinced that a sequel would never happen.  That it did, and that it's taking these kinds of risks, is miraculous to me.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: Sami Antero Järvi (Sam Lake) interviews with GQ, BBC, and AIAS Game Maker's Notebook with Ted Price