Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Ok, 5 hours in and this is not an action adventure game. It's strictly a investigation game with searching clues throughout. I fought maybe 6 enemies in my playthrough. It's not an easy game for me because you are always trying to figure out what to do next. 

It's an extremely strange game that can be very confusing for an idiot like myself. 

The production values and visuals are incredible. It's just not an action game in any way. So I was getting a bit frustrated with constantly searching for clues and finding my way around mazes without exciting combat.

It's a quality title but definitely not my type of game. I'm still interested and I will beat it because I am at least interested in what's going to happen. 

Oh, and and the game is pretty scary and best played at night. 

That all sounds great. Remedy has been great at creating interesting worlds and stories, but their combat gameplay has never been good.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Moa said:

That all sounds great. Remedy has been great at creating interesting worlds and stories, but their combat gameplay has never been good.

Yea, it's definitely worth playing and a majority of you guys will love it. My taste in games can be odd sometimes. It's a classic horror game that's for sure.

Is anyone else who is playing confused with the story bits and how to progress? I stopped playing today because I was getting a bit frustrated with all this clue shit and figuring out what to do next. 

The characters and atmosphere are incredible. I like the game but it's a brain twister and definitely a horror game. 

@Biggie stay far away from this lol. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Is anyone else who is playing confused with the story bits and how to progress? I stopped playing today because I was getting a bit frustrated with all this clue shit and figuring out what to do next. 

The characters and atmosphere are incredible. I like the game but it's a brain twister and definitely a horror game. 

@Biggie stay far away from this lol. 

No worries there. I would never play a game like this. 

• Hugs 1

OK, I cleared Chapter 1 and am now working through chapter 2. I am fairly impressed with AW II's visuals, but god damn is the "Mind Place" and most of the openning dialog just off putting as Hell. Look, I'm all good for campy dialog in a video game about a pulp fiction writer dealing with Twin Peaks style super natural events. I adored the original game, but some of the dialog in this intro is such a grab bag of throw away cliche that it rivals a CBS primte time drama. If that were the worst of it then onward with nary a comment, but Saga's inner dialog is staight up insulting to the player. Its a form of casual torture to listen to these silly musings. Mind you the actress's voice work is fine, its just the dialog that is quite dumb. I really hope the dialog gets better and soon!

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, I cleared Chapter 1 and am now working through chapter 2. I am fairly impressed with AW II's visuals, but god damn is the "Mind Place" and most of the openning dialog just off putting as Hell. Look, I'm all good for campy dialog in a video game about a pulp fiction writer dealing with Twin Peaks style super natural events. I adored the original game, but some of the dialog in this intro is such a grab bag of throw away cliche that it rivals a CBS primte time drama. If that were the worst of it then onward with nary a comment, but Saga's inner dialog is staight up insulting to the player. Its a form of casual torture to listen to these silly musings. Mind you the acress's voice work is fine, its just the dialog that is quite dumb. I really hope the dialog gets better and soon!

I know you're an incredibly intelligent man but does some of this stuff confuse you? I'm on chapter 3 and it's becoming a chore to keep seeing all these flashbacks and strange visions. I just want to roam around and at least shoot monsters lol. I see a quality game behind some of this nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I know you're an incredibly intelligent man but does some of this stuff confuse you? I'm on chapter 3 and it's becoming a chore to keep seeing all these flashbacks and strange visions. I just want to roam around and at least shoot monsters lol. I see a quality game behind some of this nonsense. 

:lol: I can assure you, I'm quite average between the ears! As for the narrative, its manner of delivery is intentionally jumbled, so I simply track the pieces in my head and know that it will all make sense in due course. 

• Like 1

Ok, I had just about enough of this game. It’s extremely confusing with mind twisting bullshit happening at every corner. There is litteraly no combat and all you do is walk around and use light to find your way. It’s boring as fuck and not fun in the slightest.

Not sure how this reviewed so well because I'm actually pretty disgusted by this. It started out fine and I was being patient things would take off but the opposite happened. I am extremely disappointed I wasted money on this. 

Those that enjoy supernatural detective games may like it but I'm completely done giving it more time. I spent 6 hours on it and now I'm moving on to Spiderman 2.

@Biggie I am going to fire up Spidey shortly so we won't be at the same points as we play. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, I had just about enough of this game. It’s extremely confusing with mind twisting bullshit happening at every corner. There is litteraly no combat and all you do is walk around and use light to find your way. It’s boring as fuck and not fun in the slightest.

Not sure how this reviewed so well because I'm actually pretty disgusted by this. It started out fine and I was being patient things would take off but the opposite happened. I am extremely disappointed I wasted money on this. 

Those that enjoy supernatural detective games may like it but I'm completely done giving it more time. I spent 6 hours on it and now I'm moving on to Spiderman 2.

@Biggie I am going to fire up Spidey shortly so we won't be at the same points as we play. 

Do you only enjoy games that go pew pew pew? I mean I don't care for BG3, but I can appreciate why it would get great scores. 

52 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Do you only enjoy games that go pew pew pew? I mean I don't care for BG3, but I can appreciate why it would get great scores. 

The reviews are what they are. The game just isn't for me.  Absolutely nothing happens and it's one complete "nightmare". I can appreciate many games that don't go "pew pew pew". Have you played this?

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The reviews are what they are. The game just isn't for me.  Absolutely nothing happens and it's one complete "nightmare". I can appreciate many games that don't go "pew pew pew". Have you played this?

Just a bit so far, but based on the reviews it seems up my alley. 

It doesn’t matter since you never added me as a friend. You’re dead to me. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Lazy day so just finished my workout and going to get ready and grab an iced tea from starbucks but I’m about ready to start!

I'll be interested to read your thoughts. It starts out halfway decent but goes downhill quickly. Unless you enjoy supernatural detective nightmarish games. 

I'm apparently in the minority here according to the reviews. Maybe when I'm in a severe dry spell with games I'll give it another shot. I just don't like games with no direction and you have to constantly think about what the hell to do to advance. It was getting exhausting. Plus no combat and the constant voice overs drove me nuts. 

Why would I want friends on PlayStation? I don't understand your criticisms on this. I play strictly sp games and have no reason to interact with a soul. No reason to be a dick about it. 

Not being a dick or criticizing. You said I don’t have any friends on PlayStation and I said I believe you. But you might wanna stop saying you are going to add me when clearly you aren’t and lying.  

2 hours ago, stepee said:

But for real I like all sorts of stuff, so I won’t be a good barometer if maybe you are just missing something with it or not.

Two of my favorite games of all time (hotel dusk and 999) are basically murder mystery interactive novels.

Love Hotel Dusk. I still own my copy. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm apparently in the minority here according to the reviews. Maybe when I'm in a severe dry spell with games I'll give it another shot. I just don't like games with no direction and you have to constantly think about what the hell to do to advance. It was getting exhausting. Plus no combat and the constant voice overs drove me nuts. 

The game by no means has a lot of combat. But it does have combat. There's a boss fight at the end of chapter 2.

My take so far is I love the vibes. The detective work feels not all that interesting yet. It feels very "click on the correct next thing"  rather than me solving a puzzle and I think it's compounded by the game being fairly railed, but in kind of a no man's land between railed and open. The problem with that is some things that feel like you should be able to go to and do, you cannot, and that makes which parts are the "correct" places to explore feel arbitrary. It interacts with the mind place poorly too. I walked around for a few minutes unable to progress because I didn't "close the case" on a case that was obviously closed. You had to go through the motions just to open up the obvious dialog. It makes it feel very check boxy rather than natural investigation.

But the vibes are good, the graphics are beautiful, and I'm there for the weirdness. We'll see how it goes.

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

Aren't you supposed to be able to switch to Saga (the lady) at any time and play her part which seems to be more straightforward action?

Good lord, that first boss has crushed me 3 times now. I have not achieved even 50% of the "git gud " required to progress! On a plus note, I just completed my second run of Lords of the Fallen. Need one more run to finish the "Umbral" ending. Mind you, each successive run goes quicker and quicker as I'm so powered up now that boss fights are typically a trivial matter.  

• Sicko 1

11 hours ago, legend said:

The game by no means has a lot of combat. But it does have combat. There's a boss fight at the end of chapter 2.

My take so far is I love the vibes. The detective work feels not all that interesting yet. It feels very "click on the correct next thing"  rather than me solving a puzzle and I think it's compounded by the game being fairly railed, but in kind of a no man's land between railed and open. The problem with that is some things that feel like you should be able to go to and do, you cannot, and that makes which parts are the "correct" places to explore feel arbitrary. It interacts with the mind place poorly too. I walked around for a few minutes unable to progress because I didn't "close the case" on a case that was obviously closed. You had to go through the motions just to open up the obvious dialog. It makes it feel very check boxy rather than natural investigation.

But the vibes are good, the graphics are beautiful, and I'm there for the weirdness. We'll see how it goes.

I did fight the boss on chapter 2. It was difficult but it was basically the 2nd enemy encounter I had. It's just not interesting to me and it's too mind fucked gameplay for my taste. I understand it's a good game for others who enjoy detective work and piecing together clues but it bores me to tears. I am upset I bought it. I'm on chapter 3 and gave up. Yes, it has great graphics and quality voice work. Those who are enjoying it that's great.