Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, stepee said:

This and CP77 2.0/PT are definitely in a generation of their own at this point on pc.

Unfortunately even on performance mode on PS5 there is still framerate issues. It stutters occasionally which can be distracting. I even had a crash in the Witches hut where I had to reload a save.

Overall though it's one beautiful looking game. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry has the full lowdown on the quality of the Xbox Series X and Series S ports of Alan Wake 2.

In terms of resolution, the Series X version renders at 1270p in quality mode, with a 4K FSR 2 output resolution. In performance mode, we're looking at a 847p resolution, with an output of 1440p. This makes it a match for the PlayStation 5 version, which extends to visual quality generally. I couldn't find anything noteworthy to separate the visual feature set of these games: they effectively look the same, right down to the less-than-satisfactory artefacts from the FSR 2 upscaling pass.

Frame-rates are where the two systems diverge. Series X, for its part, delivers a very smooth rendition of Alan Wake. In performance mode, it offers close to a locked 60fps, with uncommon exceptions. We can drop a frame or two sometimes during traversal, and there are a few spots that cause momentary frame-rate drops, but the game feels quite smooth in general play. The consistency of the turnout here is surprising, and speaks to how scalable the game is on the GPU - and to how accommodating Alan Wake 2 can be towards lower-end CPU hardware. Quality mode is even more stable and per the embedded video above, I could only find one stand-out area where 30fps could not be met. Everywhere else, the game runs at a locked 30 frames per second with no deviations that I could see. Again, Alan Wake 2 is delivering great results, despite the highly advanced visual presentation.

PS5 doesn't fare quite as well. Certain areas really struggle in the performance mode, with an unstable feel in typical play in the affected areas. The frame-rate delta against the Series X is surprising, with the PS5 consistently failing to reach its frame-time target in some missions. The same is true in the quality mode. The PS5 is just running up against the 33.3ms frame budget in tougher areas like the second Saga Anderson mission. Performance is fine looking across the whole game, and most of the time the game does achieve its 30fps target, but the results are a more mixed than you'd typically expect from a 30fps current-gen game. The PS5's GPU is being pushed a little too hard here, without the necessary headroom to keep up in more difficult segments. In contrast, Series X has far fewer of these problems, though load times can be a few seconds longer.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: Digital Foundry's Xbox Series Technical Review
3 hours ago, stepee said:

XSX should be better than ps5 in pretty much every game, it simply has a little more gpu grunt. Its usually due to poor optimization on Xbox since it doesn’t get as much focus when ps5 happens to perform better. 

I love my Series X. 

• Hype 1

It really is best to wait for DF if you can if you own both consoles. One will sometimes be quite advantageous over the other and it’s really back and forth. There is really no clear cut winner this gen (at least with current techniques) it’s a game by game basis.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

It really is best to wait for DF if you can if you own both consoles. One will sometimes be quite advantageous over the other and it’s really back and forth. There is really no clear cut winner this gen (at least with current techniques) it’s a game by game basis.

I don't have the patience unless DF releases their comparison videos before the game comes out. Which is usually never. 

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

I wish I could say or get it on PC, but sadly that is still not always 100% better due to some awful optimizations. 

It's a very "Early 2010s" game with all the good and the bad that description entails.

I think that @LazyPiranha  succinctly summarized the faults of the game with this post:

On 10/1/2023 at 9:39 AM, LazyPiranha said:

The first Alan Wake is clunky, bloated, and has wild tonal swings.  

The game does have an absolutely stellar atmosphere that would've benefited greatly by some judicious editing of the content to reduce the repetition that invariably creeps in after the halfway point as you've grown kinda bored by running around in the dark woods.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Made a lot of progress today, some fucking cool stuff happening! Coffee World was amazing. The atmosphere is off the charts between Remedy being Remedy and the next gen lighting.

Awesome. I'm chipping away each day with like an hour at a time because I'm focusing on other games too. This game is creepy.  😳 

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Made a lot of progress today, some fucking cool stuff happening! Coffee World was amazing. The atmosphere is off the charts between Remedy being Remedy and the next gen lighting.

You love lighting. I bet you lose your damn mind when you go outside and see actual lighting lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

You love lighting. I bet you lose your damn mind when you go outside and see actual lighting lol

no joke I’ll be sitting there looking at a lake and checking out the reflection like man that’s really high quality then snap out of it

• Haha 2