Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: upcoming patch (03/06) drastically improves GTX 10-series performance

Commissar SFLUFAN

Ooook I could finally spoil myself and I was right about that Quantum Break connection, soooo cool, loved that game. I really hope Remedy can fully get the IP back but this will work if not.

Took me way too long though to catch on who Tim BREAKer is lol - Mr Door being hatch was harder to spot since it wasn’t Lance ofc, but apparently if he didn’t die the plan was he was going to be

:( 

Did anyone else think regarding the ending..

That the sacrifice that Saga has to make IS the cliffhanger ending? That her not knowing if Logan picks up is the way that as the Hero of a horror story she has to suffer? As far as not a loop it’s a spiral - that essentially just means there is a way out right??? I just remembered also that Thor and Odin are in the Dark Place too now! I bet they show up in the dlc

I loooove Remedy

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: Old Gods of Asgard to perform at The Game Awards this Thursday
17 minutes ago, stepee said:

Keep in mind it’s a VERY weird game. It’s slightly more an adventure game like Life is Strange than it is RE2 though it is also RE2

I played 10 hours of it so I understand it's strange. My only negative when playing was the gameplay itself wasn't hooking me. It's a story based game like you said so I need to adjust to that. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

It really is more like an experience of all things media wrapped together in a way never quite done before. I’m kinda beaming still in the afterglow of beating it, that is rare.

I played for an hour and was really enjoying myself then got an error that prevented me from going forward. I was about to drive back into town to speak with the Bookers. The error was that it didn't fully download and now it says 5 hours remaining lol.

I'll continue tomorrow but I am ready to get myself immersed!

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm at the Valhalla Nursing Home, been playing this for like 20 hours, it's longer than I thought it would be.  I'm liking it, but not GotY loving it.

20 hours! Hmm...I felt the same after 10 hours. I hope i like it nearly as much as Stepee. 

It’s okay to like a game and not think it’s GOTY lol - some years it’s the popular choice for me like GOW2018 and Elden Ring, other years it’s stuff like Hellblade and Life is Strange that don’t get a lot of noms (though this is getting noms, I don’t expect it to win anything)

It took me 28 hours to beat it

• Shocked 1

On 11/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, TwinIon said:

Finished Alan Wake Remastered. It's an interesting storytelling exercise layered on top of a very mediocre game. I think the game was a bit too generous with supplies, and didn't have any interesting gameplay elements for the pure narrative parts. The driving was terrible, the puzzles basically non-existent, but at least the core light+shooting mechanic worked well enough. I felt like the balance was off for the random haunted objects, like they took too much time to kill and it was difficult to effectively dodge them. I had a few odd physics encounters, but nothing game breaking. Overall I'm glad I put in the $10 and 10 hours, but it's not going to be a lasting favorite of mine.

I have also found the difficulty surprising. In the first game I was constantly finishing chapters with a ton of ammo, but in the early stages of this one I'm feeling very desperate for supplies. I finished the first boss completely empty on ammo and batteries. It made for a harrowing encounter, and I largely expected to quickly re-supply, but that has not happened yet. I think it's good to lean more into the survival horror aspect, but thus far it's caught me slightly off guard.

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Im nearing the end and this literal all things media wrapped up into one package is incredible. I think it’s a great game too, personally. 

But I just want to say “This shit won’t write itself” - William Shakespeare 

Since this game has no chance at regular game sales, being a digital only AAA current gen only Epic store exclusive with steep system requirements, I hope Epic gets whatever they want out of it. No way this game could have been made without someone specifically wanting to pay for a critically acclaimed game, so I hope they are happy with what it’s done so far and that it continues to sell well for a long time. I know we at least get two pieces of dlc and Control 2 is a given and will give them a chance to be more commercially successful. But we need more AAA that fucking swings wildly for the fences like this.

I'm in the same boat as you two - I thought this was really fucking good. What Alan Wake was to 2010 gaming I think this is to 2023 gaming. It goes wilder, crazier, and more meta then ever but remains at times the fun and hokey writer as protagonist and narrator schtick as well. This really felt like an evolution of Alan Wake and is exactly what I wanted as an Alan Wake fan waiting for 13 years for a sequel. As for the end:

Spoiler

Alan suggesting it's not a loop it's a spiral has me thinking he keeps writing new realities that continue to stack on top of one another and that he's just inventing people via his writing wholesale - it's like Inception where you just end up going deeper into the dreaming (or the Dark Place) rather than escape. He got Alice out but she went back in anyway, and helps Saga. Tor and Odin refer to Alan Wake as Tom Zane when in the first game we know they were two distinct people - we know Alan has a version of Tom now personified in his head who could have been the Tom communicating with the Old Gods of Asgard lately since the old Tom didn't look like Alan Wake. A spiral does suggest a way out though, so Alan may be getting closer to the exit each time. We do know there are multiple realities thanks to Warlin Door and Sheriff Breaker so this could get even crazier really fast.

The New Game Plus mode Remedy is working on has new story bits and implications apparently, maybe even an additional ending, and we know DLC and Control II are on the way, so more to come.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm in the same boat as you two - I thought this was really fucking good. What Alan Wake was to 2010 gaming I think this is to 2023 gaming. It goes wilder, crazier, and more meta then ever but remains at times the fun and hokey writer as protagonist and narrator schtick as well. This really felt like an evolution of Alan Wake and is exactly what I wanted as an Alan Wake fan waiting for 13 years for a sequel. As for the end:

Reveal hidden contents

The New Game Plus mode Remedy is working on has new story bits and implications apparently, maybe even an additional ending, and we know DLC and Control II are on the way, so more to come.

I think the dlc is my most anticipated game of 2024 :P

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The fictional band are actually Finnish band Poets of the…

Old Gods of Asgard, the fictional heavy metal band from Alan Wake 2, has entered the iTunes global top 10 album charts.

The band’s album Rebirth: Greatest Hits is 10th in the chart, behind Coldplay’s Ghost Stories and The Very Best of the Pogues.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: Old Gods of Asgard's "Rebirth: Greatest Hits" enters iTunes global top 10 album chart
WWW.IGN.COM

Earlier today, we reported on Circana's monthly US game sales report, which has Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in a neck-in-neck battle for annual best-seller. But a quick glance over the charts for November reveals a conspicuous missing entry. Where's Alan Wake 2?

Speaking to IGN, Circana analyst Mat Piscatella explained why Alan Wake 2 didn't debut in the top 20 of Circana's sales charts this month. It's largely an issue of data reporting: Circana doesn't have data on every single sale for every single game. They can collect data from physical retailers, and select digital data from publishers and storefronts who choose to supply it.

As a result, while Circana's data is extremely useful, in many cases, it's incomplete. The best examples of this are Nintendo, which does not provide digital sales to Circana at all, and Take-Two, which used to provide data but limited its input a few years ago. That's why you never see GTA 5 in the Circana charts despite it selling a solid five million copies per quarter worldwide.

In Alan Wake 2's case, there was no physical release, and its publisher Epic Games does not provide digital sales data to Circana, so there's just no way for Circana to tell us how well it sold. Piscatella did confirm that Alan Wake 2 ranked 147th on Xbox Series and 115th on PlayStation 5 in MAUs in November, but that doesn't tell us too much.

We can supplement that with a bit more data from Ampere Analysis' Piers Harding-Rolls, though, to get a clearer picture. Ampere estimates that globally, just on console, Alan Wake 2 sold 850,000 copies as of the end of November.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update: Ampere Analysis estimates 850K console units sold by the end of November