Throwing it out there, the next Nintendo console will be the Nintendo Stream.

gamer.tv

Have a home system that has an HDMI dongle for streaming to a TV with no need to dock, same hybrid concept but…

…all games can be streamed online to any device at a locked resolution, with the home console being the only way to access 4K. Similar approach to gamepass with the option of buying games individually or with Nintendo Online that has a range of games available via rotation (classic and new).

To continue the Nintendo money train, only Nintendo authorised controllers will pair with devices.

That way, they can build a Nintendo eco-system, continue to use streaming to allow users to play PS5/Xbox ports but still churn out exclusives and have a need for a home console.

26 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Nintendo makes too much on hardware revisions and special editions. I can see a streaming platform being an option but not the only one. 

Yep, they may rely more on streaming for versions of third party games and it’ll just be up to the market if people like that or toned down ports, or maybe a combo is what would work best.

Either way I’m still feeling that the next system will more of a sequel to switch than any wild curveball. I could also see their plan being a switch line and then some weird wii/ds/virtual boy type of outside the box design they test as a “second pillar”.

But yeah Nintendo still thinks of itself as a toy company too, they want to still make more physical toys that people purchase, not just streaming.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo shipped the Wii U controller with input lag superior to TVs at the time.  I don't think they'd accept the lag trade-offs with cloud gaming.  (and frankly, I don't either)

My only real experience of cloud gaming has been stadia (mixed bag) and PlayStation Now (bar a few stutters, worked well). Streaming video games is definitely the future and I just wonder if we do get a ‘Super Switch’, would the infrastructure be in place to make this even more feasible in 5 years time.

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

What do you think their next console will be?

Another iteration of the switch if I had to guess. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went with something weird, but I think you’re way off base to assume the company that could not give less of a shit about the internet would suddenly base an entire console around people having good enough connections to take advantage of it. There’s absolutely no way.

They want hardware they can push into as many grubby little hands as possible.  

• Thanks 1

Nintendo's next console will take them back to their roots and require Hanafuda cards used in the same way the e-reader used cards to scan little codes to add content to Animal Crossing. It'll fail miserably and die in 3 years, and then they'll have some dumb gimmick on the console after that that'll sell 100 billion units while requiring you to send in your driver's license and social security card to add a friend.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Another iteration of the switch if I had to guess. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went with something weird, but I think you’re way off base to assume the company that could not give less of a shit about the internet would suddenly base an entire console around people having good enough connections to take advantage of it. There’s absolutely no way.

They want hardware they can push into as many grubby little hands as possible.  

Yeah, there is a reason that they never sell their hardware at a loss; it’s foundational to their business model. 

Nintendo is quite certainly the last company to move away from a traditional hardware/software model. MS is really the only one I see doing any real paradigm shifting in the near future.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:25 PM, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo shipped the Wii U controller with input lag superior to TVs at the time.  I don't think they'd accept the lag trade-offs with cloud gaming. (and frankly, I don't either)

But who knows, stranger things have happened.

I saw the thread title and thought this is what the assumption was going to be. No way is Nintendo going stream only on a console.

I could see a scenario where their dock was a wireless streamer back to the TV. That is, like the opposite of the Wii U. That could also be wishful thinking. For those that didn't have a Wii U, it's really hard to explain just how Nintendo Land is one of the best couch multiplayer games ever made.

16 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

For those that didn't have a Wii U, it's really hard to explain just how Nintendo Land is one of the best couch multiplayer games ever made.

Speaking of greatest couch multiplayer games of all time, how crazy is it that the Wii U never got a port of Pac-Man VS?! The system was perfect for it! How did Namco and/or Nintendo miss this? Thankfully Nintendo Land's "Luigi's Mansion" mini-game *kinda* made up for it, but still. What a missed opportunity. 

Also strange there was never a Dungeons & Dragons game for Wii U. Like, an actual turn-based version of it, with the player with the Gamepad would be the Dungeon Master, dictating what would happen to the other players. Also strange that the port of The Wind Waker ditched the Tingle Tuner, despite the Wii U's Gamepad being perfect for that feature. 

....I guess there are a lot of missed opportunities on that stupid console. 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:27 AM, Ghost_MH said:

For those that didn't have a Wii U, it's really hard to explain just how Nintendo Land is one of the best couch multiplayer games ever made.

I would pay $60 for both a Mario Chase with like 30 levels with 5 player local multi Switch play, and same for the Zelda game. Put some big time hours into both of those. Easily the most I played anything on Wii U.

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would pay $60 for both a Mario Chase with like 30 levels with 5 player local multi Switch play, and same for the Zelda game. Put some big time hours into both of those. Easily the most I played anything on Wii U.

It's really dumb how much fun Mario Chase is, given how simple the entire premise was. It was easily the most time I spent on anything else in Nintendo Land. Luigi's Mansion and that Animal Crossing game were also brilliant and wound up being huge time drains for me, family, and friends.

When it comes to the next Nintendo console, I feel like the only thing I'd bet on is that it will be a portable console first. To me that means it won't be a streaming console only. There is so much headroom between the current power of the switch and what we see in current iPhones. Yeah, the chip in the iPhone currently costs more than the entire Switch, I just mean that there's a much larger gap between the state of the art in mobile tech and the Switch hardware than there is between the PS5/Xbox One and the state of the art in a set top box. That gives Nintendo so much space to make a new Switch like device that has a very noticeable jump in performance.

The benefits for Microsoft to go cloud first are many. They're a premier provider of cloud services. Their operating system runs the majority of the worlds consumer PCs. Having the Xbox brand as an app on every set-top-box, TV, and mobile device gives Microsoft another portal to sell their services more broadly. Cloud first also arguably has the potential to be the highest possible quality experience. It's not now, but it's not difficult to imagine a near future where the Xcloud blades are more powerful than most GPUs.

Few, if any of those synergies exist with Nintendo. They don't compete by offering the highest graphical quality. They wouldn't be in a position to profit on the cloud computing side of things. They don't have a larger brand that makes a Nintendo app on a Roku or iPad extra valuable. They'd almost certainly rather be selling more devices at a profit, and then getting their chunk of game sales.

They've gotten themselves into their own corner of the market. Going to a cloud streaming solution would put them back in much more direct competition with Microsoft and Sony. I think the most likely thing to see for the foreseeable future is the Switch having a very DS-ish life cycle. They iterated on the DS for six years and then the 3DS for another six.

I disagree. The Super Switch will be an evolution of the current Switch, meaning more powerful system with AI upscaling to 4K resolutions in order to please those with 4K TVs, and still maintaining backwards compatibility. Heck, I could almost see Nintendo extending the life of the Tegra X1 by releasing a 4K dock that has a hardware upscaler built-in because Nintendo. 

While I see Nintendo diving into Streaming more, I think VR is where they'll branch into next, but once the tech is withered enough for their purposes. Almost as though the headset is an accessory to the Switch system, but still portable.