This 325" display costs as much as a new helicopter

AbsolutSurgen

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

LG showed off their cinema version at Cinemacon. It is pretty impressive.

Are LED screens like this in any way cost competitive with projectors in a cinema? I know projectors aren't cheap and they burn through bulbs, but I'd have to imagine that they're going to be so much cheaper than a wall of LEDs that it wouldn't even be comparable.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Are LED screens like this in any way cost competitive with projectors in a cinema? I know projectors aren't cheap and they burn through bulbs, but I'd have to imagine that they're going to be so much cheaper than a wall of LEDs that it wouldn't even be comparable.

Not even close at this time. A 45,000 lumen laser projector from Barco is under $100,000 and will light up an 80 foot screen for a decade without changing the laser plates. 

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not even close at this time. A 45,000 lumen laser projector from Barco is under $100,000 and will light up an 80 foot screen for a decade without changing the laser plates. 

Surely, I would think that there comes a size point where an 80 foot LED screen wouldn't be worth it from an energy perspective alone? Like, projectors do have a power consumption ceiling, LED screens scale with size.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

How did these screens work for sound? I remember that our speakers at my theatre were on a rafter mid way up the screen for Center channel and main Left and Right sound. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, silentbob said:

How did these screens work for sound? I remember that our speakers at my theatre were on a rafter mid way up the screen for Center channel and main Left and Right sound. 

Currently they use speakers above, angled toward the audience. Future panels will be transmissive for audio, so speakers can be placed behind like perforated projection screens.