It’s been a while now - what do you think of Giant Bomb as it currently stands?

gamer.tv

Like a lot of people, I loved both the bomb and Beastcast and was not sure with the loss of one and the talent, how it would pan out. As it stands, I’m really enjoying the main podcast and the focus more on gaming (alongside the differing experience of the hosts). Both Jeff’s have been great as well.

Video content is decent, though not quite as rampant as it was.

So yeah - you?

I never engaged in their content. It felt like their content was something I had to seek out when I prefer to just stumble upon some good shit. And I don't know it if is a misconception, but I always thought their content was pay walled. I remember one time trying to view something and I couldn't. This was years and years ago. I basically wrote them off and only watched a few videos that have been posted here. Like, didn't they not post to youtube when they first started up? I remember using their shitty video player that wasn't even HD.  

I think the bombcast sounds fresh surprisingly and Nextlander feels very old fashioned to me.

I think the new shows on Giant Bomb are fun. I enjoy Grub Snax and Bak 2 Skcool is pretty fun. Danny's contributions and production values on his shows are very nice as well (Borne to Run and Guilty Treasures) I haven't watched Albummer or the Very Online show yet but I mean to get around to it. I guess they just tore down St. Anger. And UPF is still a fun as always.

I like GB, but found it weird that they sold out to the company that they escaped to begin with. Doesn't seem much has changed.

I like Nextlander, and how they break down games. 

Don't watch either very much, only if they are commenying on games I like.

The only one that has gotten really, really bad is Kinda Funny. The monotonous nature of the show has made it completely unwatchable (and Tim Gettys is a horrible gaming pundit). I find myself mostly listening to Easy Allies Podcasts, and MinnMax.

I was a big fan of Giantbomb's video content the last couple years. Pandemic started and my interest was still there but their video content wasn't doing much for me so I just stuck to the bomb/beastcasts. People left and now the only GB content I consume is the podcast. I'm still kind of sad about it. The newer series just don't interest me. 

I was a pretty big fan when they first started. Listened to the podcast every week, watched a good percent of their videos, was a paid member for a year or two. But I think it was around the time that they split into two coasts that I started to lose interest. I don’t know if that was the cause, or if it was a coincidence. I don’t really “follow” any gaming site any more. This place is enough. 

I'm subscribed to both Giant Bomb and Nextlander. I have this weird thing where I don't like listening to audio-only podcasts at home so I only catch up on Nextlander's podcasts when I'm occasionally at the office, so I'm way behind on that at the moment but try to watch a lot of their video.

As for Nu Giant Bomb, I still like the Bombcast a lot, Bakalar and Danny have always been fantastic and they mesh real well with everyone. Like Danny's other videos (for some reason this is the first time I ever watched anything Souls-related on Giant Bomb or anywhere). Grubsnax and Bak 2 Skool are both enjoyable as well. But I don't really see myself partaking in any of the music/pop-culture/meme videos that is led by some of the outsiders. The first non-gaming thing I'd be in for is some wrestling content which might be weird because two of Giant Bomb's biggest wrestling guys couldn't partake (Alex obviously being gone, and Dan probably wouldn't be allowed to talk on a non-WWE podcast).

I miss the Bombcast and Vinny and bakalar’s chemistry. 

I still listen to the bombcast every week and enjoy it, but it remains way too gertsman heavy.

I like some of their new features but I think they’re spreading themselves a little thin / I’m not interested in some of it. Like, some things are better as funny quirks of the cast rather than features built entirely around it. It reminds me of when they used to make movies out of successful SNL bits. I don’t need to watch a feature video about Dan rykert learning about magnets or whatever. Just do the bit in podcasts. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I miss the Bombcast and Vinny and bakalar’s chemistry. 

I still listen to the bombcast every week and enjoy it, but it remains way too gertsman heavy. 

Definitely agree. The old crew was so close and had a lot of experience together. The new group feels like it needs more time. 

I don't listen to any gaming talk shows, but there was this kinda awkward but very fun e3 interview years ago between Jeff and some zoomer and  millennial game journalists (mostly Polygon and Kotaku staff).  I genuinely would listen to every episode of a weekly show version of that.