Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

13 hours ago, Biggie said:

spacer.png

Lookin’ stylish. :cool: There’s a lot of clothing options in the game which I like as I have several different outfits for my character that I choose to wear for different activities and missions. That’s one of the things that I like about games like this that let you make your own character and dress them the way that you want, you’re not stuck with the same exact look the entire time. You can change it up which I like to do as it adds a little something extra to the overall experience that makes it even more fun for me.

• True 1

spacer.png

I don’t know how to post my own pics here, but this is basically what my boss looks like sans the cap and glasses.

I played a good bit of the game yesterday, and unfortunately encountered some annoying bugs. None were game breaking, but I did have to restart some missions due to them. I figured that I would start encountering some bugs eventually since everyone else has been, I guess that it was just a matter of time. Oh well, they don’t bother me that much they’re just a minor annoyance at times.

After doing so many side activities and side hustles, they’re becoming repetitive and the rewards for doing them aren’t really that great. Also, the side hustles start becoming difficult fairly fast. I dropped the difficulty down a bit because the amount of bullet sponge enemies being thrown at me in every situation was getting a little ridiculous. It’s more reasonable now while still offering a challenge.

I would say that one of my bigger complaints with the game at this point is that its open world is great in look, design and size, but there’s nothing really happening in it. No random or unscripted things going on, nothing to come across to do while exploring, nothing to really lend itself to sandbox gameplay. Sometimes I just like to explore and roam around in open worlds to discover things that I normally wouldn’t just by going to mission markers, and often in these types of games you will come across random stuff and unscripted situations that you would have missed by strictly going to mission markers. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much on offer in this game in that regard.

I guess that you could say that the honeymoon phase is over. :p I’m still having fun, but the side stuff has gotten a bit repetitive and I’m starting to just want to do the main story missions now. That could change of course if I end up unlocking more new side activities and side hustles to do, but the ones available now are starting to feel a bit redundant.

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

spacer.png

I don’t know how to post my own pics here, but this is basically what my boss looks like sans the cap and glasses.

I played a good bit of the game yesterday, and unfortunately encountered some annoying bugs. None were game breaking, but I did have to restart some missions due to them. I figured that I would start encountering some bugs eventually since everyone else has been, I guess that it was just a matter of time. Oh well, they don’t bother me that much they’re just a minor annoyance at times.

After doing so many side activities and side hustles, they’re becoming repetitive and the rewards for doing them aren’t really that great. Also, the side hustles start becoming difficult fairly fast. I dropped the difficulty down a bit because the amount of bullet sponge enemies being thrown at me in every situation was getting a little ridiculous. It’s more reasonable now while still offering a challenge.

I would say that one of my bigger complaints with the game at this point is that its open world is great in look, design and size, but there’s nothing really happening in it. No random or unscripted things going on, nothing to come across to do while exploring, nothing to really lend itself to sandbox gameplay. Sometimes I just like to explore and roam around in open worlds to discover things that I normally wouldn’t just by going to mission markers, and often in these types of games you will come across random stuff and unscripted situations that you would have missed by strictly going to mission markers. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much on offer in this game in that regard.

I guess that you could say that the honeymoon phase is over at this point. :p I’m still having fun, but the side stuff has gotten a bit repetitive and I’m starting to just want to do the main story missions now. That could change of course if I end up unlocking more new side activities and side hustles to do, but the ones available now are starting to feel a bit stale.

:(

Had a blast last night playing, had to force the system off so I’d go to bed on time. I’m playing on the second to least hardest difficulty level and it’s working out for me so far. I’m digging the wing suit side missions, those are my favorite currently. I’ve been doing a bunch of side stuff, I’m going to concentrate more on missions this weekend. 

• Halal 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, best3444 said:

:(

I’m still having a good time, I was just pointing out some things that have been making the overall experience a little less ideal for me personally. However, the good definitely outweighs the bad. I’m looking forward to playing it again today which I’m going to do soon.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:48 AM, stepee said:

I’m digging the wing suit side missions, those are my favorite currently.

I was really liking them for a while as well, but I feel that they start getting a little too long and drawn out with how many different rooftops that you have to fly to and how many signal antennas that you have to destroy.

41 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I guess that you could say that the honeymoon phase is over. :p I’m still having fun, but the side stuff has gotten a bit repetitive and I’m starting to just want to do the main story missions now. That could change of course if I end up unlocking more new side activities and side hustles to do, but the ones available now are starting to feel a bit redundant.

Hmmm, I had the opposite impression last night. I played for a couple of hours and had to literally force myself to stop. I tried to warn you guys that the game is hard... I typically play games like this on the next to hardest difficulty the first time out and that was too hard for me so I KNOW normal is going to be tough for a lot of folks. Also there IS stuff to discover in the open world that's not on the map. There's "Crimes of Opportunity" that you discover. Not sure if they are random or not, but I found a couple. There's also Police Surveillance vans that you discover and destroy that aren't on the map or are even listed on the mission screen. You have to actually FIND those. I've found so much stuff that I haven't really left that first area around your base left because I've still been looking for shit.

Also I've had fun doing the challenges to unlock the different abilities for the weapons that make them more powerful. I don't know how far you got but the actually story missions are VERY well done. I did one last night that took place on an island at night and it was not only great playing, it LOOKED very good as well with all of the ray traycing effects going on. I dunno, the game really clicked for me last night and I'm looking forward to playing some more later. Still haven't come across any gamebreaking bugs yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I tried to warn you guys that the game is hard... I typically play games like this on the next to hardest difficulty the first time out and that was too hard for me so I KNOW normal is going to be tough for a lot of folks.

Yeah, it was becoming a bit too much for me on the default difficulty so I dropped it down to the next lower difficulty and have been finding it more reasonable.

there IS stuff to discover in the open world that's not on the map. There's "Crimes of Opportunity" that you discover. Not sure if they are random or not, but I found a couple. There's also Police Surveillance vans that you discover and destroy that aren't on the map or are even listed on the mission screen. You have to actually FIND those. I've found so much stuff that I haven't really left that first area around your base left because I've still been looking for shit.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I guess that I need to keep a better eye out for this stuff. :p

Also I've had fun doing the challenges to unlock the different abilities for the weapons that make them more powerful. 

These types of challenges remind me of achievement/trophy hunting which aren’t really my thing in games, but since you’re actually rewarded in the game for doing them I might start doing them.

I don't know how far you got but the actually story missions are VERY well done. I did one last night that took place on an island at night and it was not only great playing, it LOOKED very good as well with all of the ray traycing effects going on.

I think that I’m still somewhat early in the story, but the story missions have been the standouts in the game for me. They’ve been a good mix of taking place out in the game world, and taking place in actual levels that you have to progress through.

• Like 1

I just LOVE the city in this one. Reminds me of how much I love one of my all time favorite game locations, Dead Rising 2. Honestly instead of regular dlc I hope they repurpose this city for a new remixed game that just adds depth to the city and gives me a saints row 4 version of it so we have both styles here.

• Like 1

I’m loving it. I had to make my self stop playing and go to bed last night. I like that there is a variety of things you can do and things seem to be opening up all the time including upgrades. Last night I just visited shops and bought clothes and guns. Tonight I’m going to do some of the main campaign missions to advance things. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

Well when I got home and struggled to shower I rested in bed. I then was feeling good so I decided to drink some green tea and fire up Saints Row. 

Well, I played from 7pm-10pm and had an utter blast! I absolutely love the shooting in this and the driving as well. I enjoy the characters and it's literally very similar to GTA in most ways. I'm impressed and more importantly the game is just flat out fun to play. I'm very happy I played this and want to thank @Mr.Vic20 one last time for buying me this. I look forward to diving back into this tomorrow. It's actually better than I thought so I'm very pleased. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well when I got home and struggled to shower I rested in bed. I then was feeling good so I decided to drink some green tea and fire up Saints Row. 

Well, I played from 7pm-10pm and had an utter blast! I absolutely love the shooting in this and the driving as well. I enjoy the characters and it's literally very similar to GTA in most ways. I'm impressed and more importantly the game is just flat out fun to play. I'm very happy I played this and want to thank @Mr.Vic20 one last time for buying me this. I look forward to diving back into this tomorrow. It's actually better than I thought so I'm very pleased. 

Is it better than GTA? Absolutely not. Is it just plain more fun than GTA? Absolutely yes. 

• True 1

I just watched this video review, and while there’s a lot of YouTube game reviews trashing Saints Row this is one of the worst that I’ve seen yet.

I’ve never liked this guy, he’s smug, opinionated and trashes a lot of games that I like. I’m all for people having their own opinion, but this guy shares his in a dickish way.

While some of his complaints are valid, they’re also exaggerated. He literally says that everything about the game sucks, except for its world which he’s a little positive about. He says that it’s the worst game that he’s played in the last five years. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve never liked this guy, he’s smug, opinionated and trashes a lot of games that I like. I’m all for people having their own opinion, but this guy shares his in a dickish way.

Stop giving his channel views! :p 

But, yea, anyone saying this is the worst game in 5 years is out of their mind, IMO

• Halal 2

One thing I just noticed playing this morning is I kept failing a mission because Kevin dies in battle. I am playing on the second level up from the easiest difficulty setting and it got annoying. So I decided to just lower the difficulty to the very easiest for this particular mission and Kevin still keeps dying. I try and stay next to him and protect his ass at all times but failed again. 

I stopped now but for spoilers in where I'm talking about

Spoiler

My gang decided to move into the church and once I climbed the window to break in a group of enemies attack. It's pretty overwhelming and the battle goes from outside into the interior. When inside is when Kevin keeps dying.

Any of you guys run into this situation?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I didn’t, I wasn’t even aware that your AI companions could die in that mission. I’m surprised that you’re already at that mission if you just started playing last night, you must be focusing on the story missions and not doing a lot of side activities and side hustles.

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I didn’t, I wasn’t even aware that your AI companions could die in that mission. I’m surprised that you’re already at that mission if you just started playing last night, you must be focusing on the story missions and not doing a lot of side activities and side hustles.

All I have been doing is exploring and doing everything I can. I’ve done like 3 or 4 main missions I think. I like just riding around doing shit. 

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

All I have been doing is exploring and doing everything I can. I’ve done like 3 or 4 main missions I think. I like just riding around doing shit. 

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing as well. I know that in a previous post I said that I was going to start focusing more on story missions, but I really haven’t as I can’t resist clearing activities and side hustles off the map and just cruising around the world dicking around. :p That’s part of the fun of these types of open world games IMO.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

One thing I just noticed playing this morning is I kept failing a mission because Kevin dies in battle. I am playing on the second level up from the easiest difficulty setting and it got annoying. So I decided to just lower the difficulty to the very easiest for this particular mission and Kevin still keeps dying. I try and stay next to him and protect his ass at all times but failed again. 

I stopped now but for spoilers in where I'm talking about

Reveal hidden contents

You can revive him you know. He WILL go down. Just pick him back up. Took me  couple of tries to realize that too. The game is deceptively tough... I think each difficulity level is actually one level harder than it seems. You can customize the difficulty to suit you though. There's sliders for everything in the difficulty options. The difficulties that are in game are really just presets that you can adjust. Pretty sure you can adjust the slider to give your to make your allies tougher.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing as well. I know that in a previous post I said that I was going to start focusing more on story missions, but I really haven’t as I can’t resist clearing activities and side hustles off the map and just cruising around the world dicking around. :p That’s part of the fun of these types of open world games IMO.

I've found that with these types of games you have to be careful doing too much side stuff without progressing the story as THAT is how you can burn out on the game. At least that's how it is for me.. I try to mix it up... do a couple of side missions and then do a story mission or two to keep things fresh. the story missions in this game are VERY well done so far.

• True 1

58 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've found that with these types of games you have to be careful doing too much side stuff without progressing the story as THAT is how you can burn out on the game. At least that's how it is for me.. I try to mix it up... do a couple of side missions and then do a story mission or two to keep things fresh. the story missions in this game are VERY well done so far.

You’re right. I usually mess around in the game world for a bit cruising around and doing side activities and side hustles, but then when I get a little tired of doing that I’ll do a story mission or two which are the real meat and potatoes of the game IMO. I just don’t want to blow through the story too fast, because I’ve heard that it’s a little on the short side.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Well one review said to tackle a handful of main missions to make sure things are opened up and available. So I focused on the main missions to get the ball rolling. Just in my last play session I did side missions etc to fully enjoy all the missions and to mix things up. I have a few questions.

1) How do you collect vehicles? I only have two and that was given to me in the beginning of the game. I love customizing the vehicles that I do have. What am I missing?

2) I thought taking photos of certain landmarks and structures then translates to being able to decorate your base? I did the very first one which was a cannon. I took a photo of it and then when I was in my base I could decorate that cannon in the specific area for decorations. I took two more photos of landmarks and when I went to decorate nothing was there in my inventory to choose from. 

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You can revive him you know. He WILL go down. Just pick him back up. Took me  couple of tries to realize that too. The game is deceptively tough... I think each difficulity level is actually one level harder than it seems. You can customize the difficulty to suit you though. There's sliders for everything in the difficulty options. The difficulties that are in game are really just presets that you can adjust. Pretty sure you can adjust the slider to give your to make your allies tougher.

I did not know you can revive teammates. That's cool. I eventually beat that section but thanks for the advice. I also agree about burning yourself out on doing to many side quests and then getting fatigued with the game overall. I'm doing a happy medium now when playing. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How do you collect vehicles? I only have two and that was given to me in the beginning of the game. I love customizing the vehicles that I do have. What am I missing?

Just drive any vehicle that you get out in the game world back to your garage, and you’ll keep it.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I thought taking photos of certain landmarks and structures then translates to being able to decorate your base? I did the very first one which was a cannon. I took a photo of it and then when I was in my base I could decorate that cannon in the specific area for decorations. I took two more photos of landmarks and when I went to decorate nothing was there in my inventory to choose from.

You take photos of specific decorative objects out in the game world to decorate your base with which are shown in your phone with descriptions of where they can be found. Taking photos of landmarks and structures are side activities to earn money and XP, and some unlock fast travel locations.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

1) How do you collect vehicles? I only have two and that was given to me in the beginning of the game. I love customizing the vehicles that I do have. What am I missing?

You also get vehicles from completing missions. You'll get awarded more as you go. Don't sleep on doing the story missions, I just got recruits unlocked so now you can call backup like the old games.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

2) I thought taking photos of certain landmarks and structures then translates to being able to decorate your base? I did the very first one which was a cannon. I took a photo of it and then when I was in my base I could decorate that cannon in the specific area for decorations. I took two more photos of landmarks and when I went to decorate nothing was there in my inventory to choose from.

There's two different photo activities. Some are JUST taking photos like a site seeing game. Others are for colecting items for your base. I found a futuristic outhouse that  took a picture of for decoration. the landmark photos will show up on your map. The decorations won't. You will only find them by exploring and when you see them they will have a purple glow around them.

• Thanks 1