Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

I am so overdue for an upgrade. This will be perfect for me. I'll need a new CPU as well, and maybe a PSU depending on what the demands are, plus whatever else I'll need for an upgrade. 

I'll finally be able to run some of my games off of medium and low settings, like Battlefield 1, Destiny 2, Battlefront II, and I'll be ready to buy Monster Hunter World, and Battlefield V. 

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

I am so overdue for an upgrade. This will be perfect for me. I'll need a new CPU as well, and maybe a PSU depending on what the demands are, plus whatever else I'll need for an upgrade. 

I'll finally be able to run some of my games off of medium and low settings, like Battlefield 1, Destiny 2, Battlefront II, and I'll be ready to buy Monster Hunter World, and Battlefield V. 

The power requirements are on their website --  a 2080Ti is about 260W.

I'm not impressed at all. I feel bad for telling a few people to wait until these cards are released. Might as well buy a GTX 1070 right now, and then see what the true next generation video cards on 7nm process are going to deliver next year. It's also never been wise to jump on a new technology during the first iteration - especially one that isn't a DX standard yet.

This is the double edged sword of Nvidia's approach. On the one hand they are promising what no one else is, the so called "holy grail" of graphics, Ray tracing (though its not a 100% true solution, but rather a very convincing alternative solution) On the other hand, they have done what Nvidia does namely:

1.) Waste 90 minutes of our lives explaining graphic technologies to people who already have decent understanding of said graphics tech.

2.) Promising the moon!

3.) Using charts that mean very little at best and are out right lies at worst!

4.) And price gouging the consumer with the impunity of an arrogant Sony back in the day. 

Now that the dust has settled on Nvidia's reveal, and the gaming "Press" that quite frankly were writing breathless pieces of hyperbole like a rapid fire machine gun over the last month, have only now been turning the corner on asking some practical questions. This is not thier fault specifically, as Nvidia is handing out only PR crap if anything. But still, the back swing on the initial excitement will be brutal in the coming weeks. With prices sky high and the consumer skeptical as all Hell, there aren't too many good narratives likely to emerge between now and mid September when these cards launch.

My, unproven take, is that the 2080ti is likely to perform at or around the speed of the Titan V in non RTX games. In RTX games, I suspect, I'll have to down shift from 4K to 1440P to pick up the use of this new feature. So I guess it will be time to truly put to the test the concept of "Prettier pixels" vs resolution. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My, unproven take, is that the 2080ti is likely to perform at or around the speed of the Titan V in non RTX games. In RTX games, I suspect, I'll have to down shift from 4K to 1440P to pick up the use of this new feature. So I guess it will be time to truly put to the test the concept of "Prettier pixels" vs resolution. 

Maybe that's why NVIDIA announced a new form of AA (adaptive temporal) just before this launch!

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This is the double edged sword of Nvidia's approach. On the one hand they promising what no one else is, the so called "holy grail" of graphics, Ray tracing (though its not a 100% true solution, but rather a very convincing alternative solution) On the other hand, they have done what Nvidia does namely:

1.) Waste 90 minutes of our lives explaining graphic technologies to people who already have decent understanding of said graphics tech.

2.) Promising the moon!

3.) Using charts that mean very little at best and are out right lies at worst!

4.) And price gouging the consumer with the impunity of an arrogant Sony back in the day. 

Now that the dust has settled on Nvidia's reveal, and the gaming "Press" that quite frankly were writing breathless pieces of hyperbole like a rapid fire machine gun over the last month, have only now been turning the corner on asking some practical questions. This is not thier fault specifically, as Nvidia is handing out only PR crap if anything. But still, the back swing on the initial excitement will be brutal in the coming weeks. With prices sky high and the consumer skeptical as all Hell, there aren't too many good narratives likely to emerge between now and mid September when these cards launch.

This is my take as well and frankly, I'm okay with it because where they have delivered they really have. They're doing an enormous shift in architecture and developers are just now starting to use it. It's not going to super high performance on the new stuff immediately. As long as it's not a losing proposition in standard pure raster methods (meaning slower than existing GTX cards), there's really not a trade off. Maybe if AMD was able to compete and was pushing out even better raster cards there'd be a trade off to consider. But there's not. It's still going to be the fastest raster card on the market and introduces a whole new world of rendering with wildly a different architecture.

I think we *should* be rewarding Nvidia for this. Despite being king, they haven't rested on their laurels. They've put in the work to start the next generation of graphics and are pulling it off. People shrugging off what they've done is odd to me.

1 minute ago, legend said:

This is my take as well and frankly, I'm okay with it. They're doing an enormous shift in architecture and developers are just now starting to use it. It's not going to super high performance on the new stuff immediately. As long as it's not a losing proposition in standard pure raster methods (meaning slower than existing GTX cards), there's really not a trade off. Maybe if AMD was able to compete and was pushing out even better raster cards there'd be a trade off to consider. But there's not. It's still going to be the fastest raster card on the market and introduces a whole new world of rendering with wildly a different architecture.

I think we *should* be rewarding Nvidia for this. Despite being king, they haven't rested on their laurels. They've put in the work to start the next generation of graphics and are pulling it off. People shrugging off what they've done is odd to me.

I buy gaming hardware for the present (and near future) -- recognizing that new hardware is never more than 18-24 months away.

I only care about wildly different architectures if they bring tangible benefits.  If these cards bring games in the near term to new levels of graphical fidelity, then I'll pick one up.  If they bring marginal fidelity, at significantly lower framerates -- then I'll wait.

At this point, I have no idea what these cards can do.  Nor, what they will do with games in the near term (12-18 months).

1 minute ago, legend said:

This is my take as well and frankly, I'm okay with it. They're doing an enormous shift in architecture and developers are just now starting to use it. It's not going to super high performance on the new stuff immediately. As long as it's not a losing proposition in standard pure raster methods (meaning slower than existing GTX cards), there's really not a trade off. Maybe if AMD was able to compete and was pushing out even better raster cards there'd be a trade off to consider. But there's not. It's still going to be the fastest raster card on the market and introduces a whole new world of rendering with wildly a different architecture.

This is only true if you look at the flagship card.

If you're looking at the 2080 and 2070, you're actually getting worse performance for the money compared to the GTX 10 series. Tensor cores and RT cores are costing not just consumers more money, but a large part of the die space that could have been given to more substantial gains in traditional game performance. Actually around half the die space (more if you count INT32) based on the block diagram showed in the presentation.

That isn't a trade-off most gamers would have chosen, if they in fact had a choice on the matter. None of the new portions of the Turing architecture have any proven benefit for gamers, aside from sketchy demos and some vague promises.

@legend I think this might turn out to be one of those, Praise the engineers, but mock the CEO moments! Nvidia's engineers do deserve praise for always moving the needle forward as best they can, but the CEO is ultimately responsible for making the call on what's practically ready for the lime light. If they can deliver on the RTX promise while keeping competitive performance with the 10xx series then I think they have the high ground in claiming victory. If not then they should still be praised for even getting this off the ground, but consumers should probably still keep a wide berth form this first generation of RTX cards due to either price or performance or maybe both. 

One thing is for sure, and that is that the backlash will be, justifiably or not, harsh and Nvidia will need to respond soon. I hope they respond with verifiable benchmarks and not more PR speak, but we'll see! regardless, the next month should  prove to be quite interesting ! :p

• Like 1

Beyond the silliness of the company's hype machine, I think we should also praise the whole company. They ultimately are deciding to make this large business decision to push the market forward.

It comes down to this: if you want the market to embrace this change, then we should be okay with paying the cost of getting us there.

Here's a world that would suck IMO: the market doesn't embrace the new cards and so Nvidia goes back to only pushing on raster and it takes far longer to get to this next world of architecture both because Nvidia has stopped focusing on it and because developers have no audience to justify working on the software end.

All things considered this is a commendable job to maintain top-end parity on their top end cards for raster, and introduce a whole lot more. I don't think we can really ask for better than that and so if we want to see more of this, we should reward the company for trying to do it.

This is an occasion where Vic's compulsion to buy the newest greatest hardware really would be better if adopted by more people :p 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m actually a bit worried that nVidia will skip full HDMI 2.1 support, mostly VRR, in some BS attempt to push their upcoming TVs/Large-Scale Monitors. :/ 

Nvidia stubbornly sticking with Gsync would indeed be awful.