Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I believe that AMD has the consoles locked up for the foreseeable future -- so unless AMD also goes this direction, it will be hard for it to hit the mainstream.

Will developers really incorporate Ray Tracing in their engines before a critical mass of people have these cards?

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

They did mention that they worked with Epic to get it into UE4. If it's a feature that devs can more or less flip on for those special few (and use in all the promo footage), maybe it gets used. If it's much more difficult than that, I doubt we'll see it much for a while.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. On the PC side today, there are any number of optional special effects in games, including Nvidia specific ones like HBAO+. I can easily see better GI options using some limited ray tracing being something similar that can be turned on.

I do think his point about ray tracing light being easier is a good one. It should make better lighting a lot easier to do (so long as you have sufficient nVidia hardware available). Once this hardware is more common, developers would probably prefer to leave effects to the hardware rather than have to put in all the work to fake the lighting.

It's a good pitch.

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

How do I convince the wife to agree to a $800 video card purchase....  Don't think a $1,200 card will even be part of the conversation.

Just point to me and be like "honey look, I'm not as patently irresponsible as this jerk! All I'm asking for is this MUCH more reasonably priced card here!" 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh shit, really?! Well, I'm bettin they will have another batch since the card doesn't ship until Sept 20th

Yeah Im hoping so! Pretty lame to sell out before they even announce it. Or maybe after the officially announce it they will show it back in stock... (it only tells you it’s out of stock after you hit check out) boooo

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah Im hoping so! Pretty lame to sell out before they even announce it. Or maybe after the officially announce it they will show it back in stock... (it only tells you it’s out of stock after you hit check out) boooo

That is kinda shitty! Well, we certianly know the 3rd party vendors are waiting in the wings, so you know you'll have one fairly soon! You are running the Titan Xp right now, yes? Or did you jump to the 1080ti? 

Even after seeing it on the ProVis products, I was skeptical that the USB-C VirtualLink connector would make it to the consumer ones, but according to the specs on the founders editions, they will indeed include it.

I wonder when the first VR headsets that support it will come out.

Just now, TwinIon said:

Even after seeing it on the ProVis products, I was skeptical that the USB-C VirtualLink connector would make it to the consumer ones, but according to the specs on the founders editions, they will indeed include it.

I wonder when the first VR headsets that support it will come out.

All signs point to next gen HDMs all supporting it, from the major two anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That is kinda shitty! Well, we certianly know the 3rd party vendors are waiting in the wings, so you know you'll have one fairly soon! You are running the Titan Xp right now, yes? Or did you jump to the 1080ti? 

Nm came back in stock! Just ordered :D I’m a Titan Xp, which is just slightly better than the TI. Hopefully after this announcement I can still get at least $800 (was still going for close to 1k last I checked) for it on ebay so this will only be $400 extra.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

All signs point to next gen HDMs all supporting it, from the major two anyway. 

Certainly seems that way, but I haven't seen many indications of when a next gen Vive or Rift will actually hit. Next March will mark three years since the Rift's launch, and I can't imagine a successor coming out by then.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Nm came back in stock! Just ordered :D I’m a Titan Xp, which is just slightly better than the TI. Hopefully after this announcement I can still get at least $800 (was still going for close to 1k last I checked) for it on ebay so this will only be $400 extra.

Boo-yah! I'm happy for you brother! 

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Certainly seems that way, but I haven't seen many indications of when a next gen Vive or Rift will actually hit. Next March will mark three years since the Rift's launch, and I can't imagine a successor coming out by then.

I think the next HDM will be put forward when they can offer an enhanced FOV via a superior lens. Now that I  own a Vive Pro I can directly understand how much more important the lens quality is over the Resolution bump at this phase!