Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

19 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Still rocking my 970.

These next few years are going to be brutal for me. I'm going to be in the market for a new cpu, mobo, and gpu. And probably a new TV and receiver. Not sure which order I should go in though.

PC first.

TV and receiver together (with HDMI 2.1 support).

New comments from Nvidia spokesperson:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-2080-2070-are-40-faster-vs-pascal-in-gaming/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Gist is this: 35%-45% efficiency improvement from Pascal to Turing.  Good performance boost, bad pricing. Nvidia banking on the new tech, gamers not so sure they want it at that price. 

On NVLink

Nvidia Turing is the first GPU architecture to embrace the company’s NVLink bridge technology, which offers higher bandwidth data transfer than the traditional SLI bridge. At Siggraph, where Nvidia launched Turing and the Quadro RTX lineup, the company revealed that NVLink enables frame buffer scaling. In traditional SLI, each card needs the same data in its memory pool. With Quadro RTX cards, NVLink combines the memory of each card to create a single, larger memory pool.

Petersen explained that this would not be the case for GeForce RTX cards. The NVLink interface would allow such a use case, but developers would need to build their software around that function. “While it's true this is a memory to memory link; I don't think of it as magically doubling the frame buffer. It's more nuanced than that today,” said Petersen. “It's going to take time for people to understand how people think of mGPU setup and maybe they will look at new techniques. NVLink is laying a foundation for future mGPU setup.”

NVLink’s current implementation offers higher bandwidth, which should improve performance, but it’s not a fix-all solution. Anyone who’s used an SLI setup would be familiar with the dreaded micro-stutter. Unfortunately, it appears the new bridge doesn’t completely solve that problem. Not yet, at least.

Petersen said that the stuttering issue has more to do with alternate frame rendering (AFR), which is the current rendering technique for SLI. Nvidia is working on new mGPU technologies that would improve scaling in the future, but the company isn’t at liberty to discuss those yet.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-tom-petersen-geforce-rtx,37727.html

Also:

Overclocking

HotHardware also asked Peterson about overclocking performance, to which he said, “it’s really good!” Nvidia built the power and cooling solutions of the Founder’s Edition cards specifically for overlocking, and Petersen said he'd seen 2.1Ghz on multiple cards, which suggests that at least the FE cards would be strong overclockers.

Petersen also mentioned Nvidia Scanner and GPU Boost 4.0, of which we know nothing about yet.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Start next year so you can get hdmi 2.1 and get tv, then receiver, then do the pc all at once.

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

PC first.

TV and receiver together (with HDMI 2.1 support).

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm holding out for.

Maybe a stupid question, my mobo has pci express 3.0, would I be able to use a new GPU with hdmi 2.1 with it? Or is the mobo chipset not compatible with the new standard?

There's no way I can do everything in one go, so I need to stagger it. Really not sure what my priorities are though. I still have a great 1080p set, but I want to upgrade to 4K. I'm a big media guy so I need to figure out how to get UHD Blu rays on my PC. But doesn't that require the latest CPU and mobo, or would a compliant gpu work?

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

MY GOD! Who here knew that the "ti" post fix on Nvidia cards is pronounced "Tie" and not "Tee-Eye"?! Not me! But after listening to this Nvidia rep say it again and again, I googled and learned it is indeed "Tie".  My life is a lie... 

He’s saying it wrong just to screw with you, buddy. DON’T FALL FOR THEIR TRICKS!

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

UUUUUUUGH

I found that Rog Swift PG27UQ for $1600 shipped, refurbished by ASUS... should I pull the trigger? Am I crazy to spend that god damn much on a monitor?

No.  But, you may be crazy to buy a refurbished monitor if it doesn't have a return policy that lets you return it if it has dead pixels.

54 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

No.  But, you may be crazy to buy a refurbished monitor if it doesn't have a return policy that lets you return it if it has dead pixels.

It’s refurbished by ASUS, so it’s probably more reliable than a new unit. :p 

And yes, there’s a 30-day return policy and full manufacturer warranty.

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s refurbished by ASUS, so it’s probably more reliable than a new unit. :p 

And yes, there’s a 30-day return policy and full manufacturer warranty.

I buy tons of refurbished stuff -- but haven't been willing to touch anything with a screen on it (as I have had friends burned by it) -- I suspect many are returned because of dead/stuck pixels.  Asus refurbishing them, will not fix those dead pixels -- most monitor manufacturers see a couple of  dead pixels as "normal".

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I buy tons of refurbished stuff -- but haven't been willing to touch anything with a screen on it (as I have had friends burned by it) -- I suspect many are returned because of dead/stuck pixels.  Asus refurbishing them, will not fix those dead pixels -- most monitor manufacturers see a couple of  dead pixels as "normal".

If they didn’t fix what it was returned for, it would be open box and not refurbished. :p 

Sometimes places like BB do that, but it’s not “manufacturer refurbished”.

7 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Yes.  If someone had returned it within 30 days, they could have.

Since it wasn't actually defective it wouldn't qualify to be refurbished and would be sold as an open box item. Sometimes a non-manufacturer refurb is sold as "refurbished" when it was just an open box and had no work done on it, however. This is a manufacturer refurb, not an in-house type.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

FIRST "In the wild" BENCHMARKS! (note that the 2080ti is being hobbled to some degree by not having driver optimizations specific to it)

God damn. 4K Ultra is nailed on this thing. My desire to go all out on a 2080Ti is increasing.

34 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you guys think the i7 5960x (or whatever @Mr.Vic20 gave me :p ) will pair well with a 2080 Ti?

That's probably fine. I'm more worried about my i5 4670k. The question for me is whether I upgrade to an LGA 1150 socket i7 (also in the 4xxx series) or if should do a more complete upgrade. That would burn a bit, because it would mean new mobo ram and CPU to go with the video card.

The change is a needed change, but I think that most people should wait for the .7nm reworks to come in 2019, which will probably also half the price and increase general game performance more than this one will do (obviously, we don't have benchmarks yet).

I know in my case, as I own a 1080Ti, I do not need this card in any way shape or form, yet and the hit from RayTracing being bolted on is too much (today). 

On the flip side, we are looking at a few years before RayTracing really matters and we need console adoption first, something I do not think we are going to see with PS5 and Xbox Next.  

1 hour ago, Mithan said:

The change is a needed change, but I think that most people should wait for the .7nm reworks to come in 2019, which will probably also half the price and increase general game performance more than this one will do (obviously, we don't have benchmarks yet).

I know in my case, as I own a 1080Ti, I do not need this card in any way shape or form, yet and the hit from RayTracing being bolted on is too much (today). 

On the flip side, we are looking at a few years before RayTracing really matters and we need console adoption first, something I do not think we are going to see with PS5 and Xbox Next.  

Do we have any evidence that NVidia will use 7nm for gaming GPUs in 2019?

On 8/26/2018 at 11:51 AM, legend said:

Assuming independent reviews confirm what I'm expecting, I'll get either a 2080 or 2080Ti. Not sure yet.

I'm now confused, I need a card that will be future proof. I do not upgrade as ofen as I'd like, not because of funds, just because with all that life throws at us {5 kids, etc} and owning each and every damn console it just dosen't fit into my life style! That said, boy have I gotten a country mile out of my 980Ti and I bought into that a few years late too. i'm willing to spend the money, I just want a BIG BANG FOR my damned buck. Is that too much to ask these days? I do not want to buy these 2080Tis and have them actually only 15-20% better then a 1080Ti. So now I don't know what to do, except just keep reading the great stuff some of you PC Enthusiasts Gurus who really know whats what and on the web to wait and see, and maybe let another series go by the by. I want to be able to play @4k high specs HDR mostly 60FPS. Is or is this not the card now -> 2080Ti? 

16 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm now confused, I need a card that will be future proof. I do not upgrade as ofen as I'd like, not because of funds, just because with all that life throws at us {5 kids, etc} and owning each and every damn console it just dosen't fit into my life style! That said, boy have I gotten a country mile out of my 980Ti and I bought into that a few years late too. i'm willing to spend the money, I just want a BIG BANG FOR my damned buck. Is that too much to ask these days? I do not want to buy these 2080Tis and have them actually only 15-20% better then a 1080Ti. So now I don't know what to do, except just keep reading the great stuff some of you PC Enthusiasts Gurus who really know whats what and on the web to wait and see, and maybe let another series go by the by. I want to be able to play @4k high specs HDR mostly 60FPS. Is or is this not the card now -> 2080Ti? 

Based on what we've seen so far, it looks like going from a 980Ti to 2080Ti will be a substantial improvement, even on regular raster games. From a 1080Ti->2080Ti it's looking like about a 40% improvement on pure raster games (so from a 980Ti would be even bigger.) Then you'll have whatever else starts coming down the pipe that uses the ray tracing and tensor cores which, again, is very promising. Based just on what Nvidia told us in the presentation I was extremely excited (and went in more cautious), and what we're now hearing from devs is even more promising than I felt out of that.

It also looks like if you want 4K at 60fps, then this is a great time to jump, because it finally looks consistently possible (on a single card).

However, if you got a 980Ti pretty late and don't like the idea of spending on a lot money on hardware already, at least give it a month past release. We should have a much better feel for things then and you can at least be more confident that if you pay the high price, that it is at least for something that is as special as it's looking it may be to me.

Really appreaciate the reply, this is the shit I need to hear. It's not how late I was to the  980Ti at all, and it's not the 1k or so this will cost. I'm with you 100% as I'm not going to put in a preorder for one, though I'm pretty sure this will be the card my new system will be built around, that and a 8700 k I7. I want the overclocked cards to come out and read the full reviews and what not. I'm sure that a 2080Ti will be a wonderful new card and I'm excited, and honestly impressed how I ever waited past the 1080's! Oh I know, it was the whole bit coin deal that made me wait, so I guess thanks in in oreder to someone . . . lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HardAct said:

I think 2080 will be fine, I am just not a fan of "first revisions" for new tech.  The Ray Tracing performance will probably increase by a factor of 2-4 in the next chip.  

23 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Do we have any evidence that NVidia will use 7nm for gaming GPUs in 2019?

Rumors mostly, but if you follow the evidence, chances are they will go for 7nm late 2019, as it makes sense and that is what TSMC is close to offering.  Might be delayed of course, but that seems to be the next logical step, and much sooner.

1 minute ago, Mithan said:

I think 2080 will be fine, I am just not a fan of "first revisions" for new tech.  The Ray Tracing performance will probably increase by a factor of 2-4 in the next chip.  

Rumors mostly, but if you follow the evidence, chances are they will go for 7nm late 2019, as it makes sense and that is what TSMC is close to offering.  Might be delayed of course, but that seems to be the next logical step, and much sooner.

Based on the rumours, I agree that they will likely launch a chip on 2019, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think it will be a GeForce gaming GPU.

A x2 or x4 performance increase in 2 years is unlikely until we get to a new chip technology.