Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

1 minute ago, legend said:

Given the potential, a lot of people are going to get real weird with it! :p 

To say nothing of the horrifying moments that will now be forever captured in beautiful, ray traced, Ansel! On some level, progress has never taken us more than a few steps from the cave's mouth... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, legend said:

:lol: If we take the earlier specs showing that this might be first line to safely handle regular raster games at 4K well, were you really expecting it'd not only manage that feat, but also do it with all the new stuff it enables too?

YES!!!

No. Maybe a little in my wildest dreams even though I know better?

Image result for sad walking away gif

• Haha 1

Enjoy this article that seems like it was written on a dare or after losing at some game of chance! Its cringe worthy to read, like watching a person who clearly doesn't believe what they are debating, debating the point anyway because that's the straw they picked! :lol:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#xtor=RSS-5

48 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Enjoy this article that seems like it was written on a dare or after losing at some game of chance! Its cringe worthy to read, like watching a person who clearly doesn't believe what they are debating, debating the point anyway because that's the straw they picked! :lol:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#xtor=RSS-5

:lol: I just read that before coming here. While I'm clearly in the camp of "I want this card to be a massive success!" (provisional on independent analysis) I completely agree. That was some weak sauce reasoning. Or at least a good chunk of it was. Particularly this paragraph:

Life is short. How many months or years do you want to wait to enjoy a new experience? You can sit around twiddling your thumbs and hoping that an RTX 2080 gets cheaper, or you can enter the world of ray-tracing and high-speed, 4K gaming today and never look back. When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?

:lol: 

The only thing that was at all interesting was the suggestion that Nvidia might be deliberately pricing the 20 series a bit higher to pawn off the extra stock of 10 series they have from previously expecting more crypto miners.

• Haha 1

It’s a shame actually to see this nonsense. The price of these GPUs is insane. In a age where console hardware is getting closer and closer to being a full blown PC, this just proves the value proposition isn’t there. 

I would be great to see PC gamers boycott this like they do every other game that comes out that isn’t perfectly ported or contains some monitization scheme they don’t agree with. 

BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE!!! Up those CPUs as well people!!! As per Dice:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/how-dice-made-nvidias-ray-tracing-dreams-a-reality

And to be able to run such an intensive game engine, with such a demanding new feature, has meant the hardware requirements outside of just the GPU have had to change.

“What we have done with our DXR implementation is we go very wide on a lot of cores to offload that work, so we’re likely going to require a higher minimum or recommended spec for producing RT. And very wide is the best way for the consumer in that regard, with a four-core or six-core machine.

“We haven’t communicated any of the specs yet so they might change, but I think that a six-core machine – it doesn’t have to be aggressively clocked – but 12 hardware threads is what we kind of designed it for. But it might also work well on a higher clocked eight thread machine.”

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE!!! Up those CPUs as well people!!! As per Dice:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/how-dice-made-nvidias-ray-tracing-dreams-a-reality

And to be able to run such an intensive game engine, with such a demanding new feature, has meant the hardware requirements outside of just the GPU have had to change.

“What we have done with our DXR implementation is we go very wide on a lot of cores to offload that work, so we’re likely going to require a higher minimum or recommended spec for producing RT. And very wide is the best way for the consumer in that regard, with a four-core or six-core machine.

“We haven’t communicated any of the specs yet so they might change, but I think that a six-core machine – it doesn’t have to be aggressively clocked – but 12 hardware threads is what we kind of designed it for. But it might also work well on a higher clocked eight thread machine.”

Glad I future proofed myself when i got my 12 threads i7 :D

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

I really want to get the 2080Ti. It'll be good for a handful of years for me since I'm still at 1440 and not 4K yet. 

If you are sticking with 1440P, then I would recommend picking up a 1080ti as it should run anything at that res perfectly! Of course if you want to mess around with Ray tracing, you'll need the 2080ti. 

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

And at 1440p you’ll probably be able to run ray tracing a lot better than Vic and I who will be spending the month after ray tracing support hits the first game trying to find the right settings compromise for some proximity to 4k!

The right settings for 4k = rtx off

:pratt: 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

And at 1440p you’ll probably be able to run ray tracing a lot better than Vic and I who will be spending the month after ray tracing support hits the first game trying to find the right settings compromise for some proximity to 4k!

Isn't the answer obvious? Buy 4. :p 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

If you are sticking with 1440P, then I would recommend picking up a 1080ti as it should run anything at that res perfectly! Of course if you want to mess around with Ray tracing, you'll need the 2080ti. 

Of course I want to mess around with ray tracing! I want to be able to see the reflection of someone trying to sneak up on me in Battlefield V and turn around and shotgun him in the face! 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Let’s all start wondering about the very real possibility of, shudder, SLI. I wonder if NVLink will solve any of the historic issues that SLI brings to the table. If it does, I might be running dual 2080ti this gen! 

I think $2400 is where I draw my line, but your crazy ass bought a titan v so it’s a steal for you! I think what nvlink will solve is going to be getting closer to using the full capability of each card (minus being able to use the vram of each card) and hopefully fix frame pacing issues. What it won’t solve however is support issues. No way will I go sli again unless they somehow get it working in a way that’s not per game basis driver level.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think $2400 is where I draw my line, but your crazy ass bought a titan v so it’s a steal for you! I think what nvlink will solve is going to be getting closer to using the full capability of each card (minus being able to use the beam of each card) and hopefully fix frame pacing issues. What it won’t solve however is support issues. No way will I go sli again unless they somehow get it working in a way that’s not per game basis driver level.

Yeah, more than likely I’m just kidding myself. It would be nice to at least have the option, but I dread the idea of returning to a mGPU machine!