Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I blame the tariffs. This surely isn’t all green greed!

Reveal hidden contents

Times in history that someone blamed Trump for something and it wasn't actually 100% true -> now up to 1! :sun:

Stuff like this can and has been faked with simple texture tricks for ages now. Like PhysX, the performance hit of something like this can be substantial, I fear. Yes, NVIDIA created raytracing units inside the GPU to achieve these effects in an effort to keep the rest of the GPU from diverting resources, but the rendering pipeline still has to wait on those units to finish calculations before outputting a finished frame, which means you can still get nasty stalls.

17 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Stuff like this can and has been faked with simple texture tricks for ages now. Like PhysX, the performance hit of something like this can be substantial, I fear. Yes, NVIDIA created raytracing units inside the GPU to achieve these effects in an effort to keep the rest of the GPU from diverting resources, but the rendering pipeline still has to wait on those units to finish calculations before outputting a finished frame, which means you can still get nasty stalls.

It certainly is a very real possibility. Again, I wonder if this is Hair works all over again! 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It certainly is a very real possibility. Again, I wonder if this is Hair works all over again! 

Having so many different models worries me too.  It's standard practice, I know.  But I have to wonder if that $499 card will really be up to snuff for what its advertised for.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Having so many different models worries me too.  It's standard practice, I know.  But I have to wonder if that $499 card will really be up to snuff for what its advertised for.

Oh, it absolutely will not! I mean, this is all lovely fan fare, but I can easily see it taking another whole generation before ray tracing, even using these "cheats" will get us where most consumers will have a good experience. This, to me, is Nvidia making a turn, but not coming out of it to fire down the straight away!  

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I still need to watch the stream. But fuck those prices.

acidity-e1420865456304.jpg

Actually, the pain will probably be on the other side.

Apparently the Non-founder's edition prices are slightly lower:

'Nvidia's event concluded by advertising prices "starting" at $499, $699, and $999, respectively for those same models—assumedly referring to video card partners producing their own models outside Nvidia's own Founders Edition line."

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Intel can't jump into the game soon enough! 

Exactly. With AMD MIA, nothing is stopping Nvidia from charging whatever they want. No one is challenging them, especially on the higher end. The rumor is AMD's Navi will only address the midrange; we are talking 2060/2070 performance at best. We have to wait until AMD's next gen architecture and whatever Intel brings to the table in 2020 before anyone even touches what the 2080 Ti can do. That sucks for people wanting to save $200 on a monitor that is freesync. I have no plans to switch to Nvidia when it would cost $700 to swap to a 2560x1440 gsync equivalent monitor + the price of the video card. Intel or AMD better give me something really nice in 2020.

yeah I am sticking with my 1080@144 monitor for a while longer it seems. Oh well we really need hdmi 2.1 to hit TVs too, that is the next big change

Buying a 9700pro back in the day has ruined me on videocard pricing, I bought it near launch for $330 and that was the best card money could buy at the time and murdered everything else, inflation adjusted that is about $460 in today's dollars. 

• Like 1

What exactly is the difference with the Founder's Edition cards? Aren't they just the first ones released, and there is no spec difference, maybe only a cosmetic difference, so really you're paying an extra $200 just to say you got one first? Is that right? 

Just now, Brick said:

What exactly is the difference with the Founder's Edition cards? Aren't they just the first ones released, and there is no spec difference, maybe only a cosmetic difference, so really you're paying an extra $200 just to say you got one first? Is that right? 

They are Nvidia's own brand, that's it. They actually don't perform any better than the 3rd parties, in fact historically they are a touch slower after 3rd parties tweak theirs. But you get them sooner, usually by a month. 

19 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

They are Nvidia's own brand, that's it. They actually don't perform any better than the 3rd parties, in fact historically they are a touch slower after 3rd parties tweak theirs. But you get them sooner, usually by a month. 

Yeah I can wait for someone like Gigabyte, or someone to release theirs. 

All of the 3rd party cards are either the same price (for the ti) or even more expensive. Many of the 2080 cards are priced at $850 and the lowest I've seen for the ti is $1150.

I was going to go for one, but at these prices I have to see a major performance gain across the board over my 1080ti to even consider it. I'm very curious to see some benchmarks.