Jump to content
D1P Regulars/Lurkers: if you did NOT receive an account confirmation email - Please Read! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Vic20

PC Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Recommended Posts

There's a damn good chance that the 2080 will be my next video card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, legend said:

There's a damn good chance that the 2080 will be my next video card.

Welcome to the 4Ks, its a brutal but beautiful landscape! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Welcome to the 4Ks, its a brutal but beautiful landscape! 

 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to have that until I also purchase a 4K TV :p That's probably going to happen next year.

 

 

I'm also slightly concerned about my i5 bottle necking me, but I think it will be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, legend said:

 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to have that until I also purchase a 4K TV :p That's probably going to happen next year.

 

 

I'm also slightly concerned about my i5 bottle necking me, but I think it will be okay.

I always forget that others have better priorities than myself! :p Well, when you do arrive, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Frankly, TVs are just now getting the feature sets and and reasonable price tags to justify the move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brick said:

2080? Not 1180?

Yup, apparently so! Also, its RTX (ray-tracing) instead of GTX from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, apparently so! Also, its RTX (ray-tracing) instead of GTX from now on.

 

Well then, give me an RTX 2080Ti please! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My main question involves HDMI 2.1 compliance

 

And Dolby Vision!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, apparently so! Also, its RTX (ray-tracing) instead of GTX from now on.

 

Yeah I think it's interesting to have that level of rebranding. It's been a long time with GTX and it's interesting that ray tracing is what is making them change it. If ray tracing really does start taking off though, I can see why. It will have pretty significant graphics ramifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

how many will you be buying @Mr.Vic20.  all of them?

I honestly have to see if the 2080ti can actually best the Titan V first! :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, legend said:

 

Yeah I think it's interesting to have that level of rebranding. It's been a long time with GTX and it's interesting that ray tracing is what is making them change it. If ray tracing really does start taking off though, I can see why. It will have pretty significant graphics ramifications.

I believe that Ray Tracing is the "future" of graphics -- but probably won't be mainstream for many years.

 

That said, I've read that GTX may stay around with the 2060 due to it's slower ray tracing performance...

 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I honestly have to see if the 2080ti can actually best the Titan V first! :p

Rumours are that it may be SLIGHTLY faster...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I honestly have to see if the 2080ti can actually best the Titan V first! :p

 

Just now, mikechorney said:

Rumours are that it may be SLIGHTLY faster...

 

3 then? :santasun:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Slightly is all the excuse I need! 

 

Attempting to run pretty much any modern game at 4k on my SLI 980 Tis is a bit embarrassing. I need to wait for (non-crazy priced) GSYNC HDR 4k monitors before upgrading, though. :sadsun:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

 

Attempting to run pretty much any modern game at 4k on my SLI 980 Tis is a bit embarrassing. I need to wait for (non-crazy priced) GSYNC HDR 4k monitors before upgrading, though. :sadsun:

SLI hurts the soul I don't actually possess! :salt:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

5 minutes to old leather jacket!

and now the standard delay of 10-17 minutes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I believe that Ray Tracing is the "future" of graphics -- but probably won't be mainstream for many years.

Not full ray tracing, I agree. But I think in the next few years we will see limited ray tracing for better effects and possibly low-quality (compared to fully ray tracing) implementations for approximate GI. Better GI is IMO one of the best ways to improve the naturalness of games.

 

Quote

That said, I've read that GTX may stay around with the 2060 due to it's slower ray tracing performance...

 

That would be interesting to have a split on the same line, but that makes sense too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Remarkableriots said:

@Mr.Vic20 Will they be showing any new laptop cards? I need to get a cheap gaming laptop instead of desktop PC.

Presumably there will be a new generation of the mobile and Q-max chips, but don't expect those for a few more months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I've got a live blog on in the background -- so no context...

Roger, he was making a joke about all the internet leaks. He said, "Everything on the internet was wrong!" we'll see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, legend said:

Not full ray tracing, I agree. But I think in the next few years we will see limited ray tracing for better effects and possibly low-quality (compared to fully ray tracing) implementations for approximate GI. Better GI is IMO one of the best ways to improve the naturalness of games.

 

 

That would be interesting to have a split on the same line, but that makes sense too.

I believe that AMD has the consoles locked up for the foreseeable future -- so unless AMD also goes this direction, it will be hard for it to hit the mainstream.

 

Will developers really incorporate Ray Tracing in their engines before a critical mass of people have these cards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I believe that AMD has the consoles locked up for the foreseeable future -- so unless AMD also goes this direction, it will be hard for it to hit the mainstream.

 

Will developers really incorporate Ray Tracing in their engines before a critical mass of people have these cards?

They did mention that they worked with Epic to get it into UE4. If it's a feature that devs can more or less flip on for those special few (and use in all the promo footage), maybe it gets used. If it's much more difficult than that, I doubt we'll see it much for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×