Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Welcome to the 4Ks, its a brutal but beautiful landscape! 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to have that until I also purchase a 4K TV :p That's probably going to happen next year.

I'm also slightly concerned about my i5 bottle necking me, but I think it will be okay.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to have that until I also purchase a 4K TV :p That's probably going to happen next year.

I'm also slightly concerned about my i5 bottle necking me, but I think it will be okay.

I always forget that others have better priorities than myself! :p Well, when you do arrive, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Frankly, TVs are just now getting the feature sets and and reasonable price tags to justify the move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, apparently so! Also, its RTX (ray-tracing) instead of GTX from now on.

Yeah I think it's interesting to have that level of rebranding. It's been a long time with GTX and it's interesting that ray tracing is what is making them change it. If ray tracing really does start taking off though, I can see why. It will have pretty significant graphics ramifications.

25 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I think it's interesting to have that level of rebranding. It's been a long time with GTX and it's interesting that ray tracing is what is making them change it. If ray tracing really does start taking off though, I can see why. It will have pretty significant graphics ramifications.

I believe that Ray Tracing is the "future" of graphics -- but probably won't be mainstream for many years.

That said, I've read that GTX may stay around with the 2060 due to it's slower ray tracing performance...

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I honestly have to see if the 2080ti can actually best the Titan V first! :p

Rumours are that it may be SLIGHTLY faster...

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Attempting to run pretty much any modern game at 4k on my SLI 980 Tis is a bit embarrassing. I need to wait for (non-crazy priced) GSYNC HDR 4k monitors before upgrading, though. :sadsun:

SLI hurts the soul I don't actually possess! :salt:

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I believe that Ray Tracing is the "future" of graphics -- but probably won't be mainstream for many years.

Not full ray tracing, I agree. But I think in the next few years we will see limited ray tracing for better effects and possibly low-quality (compared to fully ray tracing) implementations for approximate GI. Better GI is IMO one of the best ways to improve the naturalness of games.

That said, I've read that GTX may stay around with the 2060 due to it's slower ray tracing performance...

That would be interesting to have a split on the same line, but that makes sense too.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

Not full ray tracing, I agree. But I think in the next few years we will see limited ray tracing for better effects and possibly low-quality (compared to fully ray tracing) implementations for approximate GI. Better GI is IMO one of the best ways to improve the naturalness of games.

That would be interesting to have a split on the same line, but that makes sense too.

I believe that AMD has the consoles locked up for the foreseeable future -- so unless AMD also goes this direction, it will be hard for it to hit the mainstream.

Will developers really incorporate Ray Tracing in their engines before a critical mass of people have these cards?

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I believe that AMD has the consoles locked up for the foreseeable future -- so unless AMD also goes this direction, it will be hard for it to hit the mainstream.

Will developers really incorporate Ray Tracing in their engines before a critical mass of people have these cards?

They did mention that they worked with Epic to get it into UE4. If it's a feature that devs can more or less flip on for those special few (and use in all the promo footage), maybe it gets used. If it's much more difficult than that, I doubt we'll see it much for a while.