Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

4 hours ago, elbobo said:

Something I was thinking about, if AMD doesn't incorporate ray tracing into their next cards and as a result the next gen consoles don't have it how big a deal is it going to end up being? 

It will hurt things, IMO. Consoles always rein things in to some extent. Even though devs will often push things with their max settings, I don't see how consoles can not have an impact because of underlying design for the console hardware.

I don't think it will be completely crushing, because for some time the path forward will be integrating ray tracing on top of raster pipelines; the intent isn't to fully switch all at once because we can't do that. But I can't imagine it still wouldn't have important impacts because if consoles don't support it, ray tracing will be forced to be designed as an extra rather than core to the graphics of a game.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-rtx-2080-in-timespy-result-set-leaks-titan-xp-performance.html

2080 = Titan Xp performance. Good, good! 

If so then the 2080ti should edge out the Titan V. 

Man, that comparison chart makes my 980 look peasant like. The same 980 you guys got me so I didn't have to be peasant-like in my now favorite RPG of all time Witcher 3 :hug: 

• Like 1

IF true, we are looking at, with proper driver optimization, a potential 40%-50% improvement. Which is typical of a reduction in the die size, in this case from 14nm to 12nm. Everything else is either tech that is too early in its life to be of true benefit currently (ray tracing) or unproven secret sauce (DLSS). Rocky, interesting times ahead, but I'm really happy, prices aside, that something new is emerging on the hardware front. 

30 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

A 970. Still holds up well for most things I play tbh. There are people on these boards with greater need than mine.

I shall keep you in mind if I do indeed upgrade! :santasun:

The one thing that’s holding me back is that I’ll also need a new monitor, and the only HDR GSync monitors currently available are $2k :| 

(I have two 980 Ti)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

$1,800 at Microcenter!  (Go for it, that's 10% off!)

It's going to be at least 3-4 weeks before upgrading. I have a large military contract coming up. With it I'm actually going to be able to pay off my car - the poor bank is only getting 1 month of interest out of me :santasun: 

36 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

https://wccftech.com/ray-traced-battlefield-v-runs-sub-30-4k/

Seems Ray Tracing in 1440P is a go! With the right optimization, we might even get some 4K RY this gen! I'm excited!

Nice. The discussion in that article is precisely why I want these cards to be successful. I want developers to have every motivation to put resources into the software development so it can sing.

Just now, legend said:

Nice. The discussion in that article is precisely why I want these cards to be successful. I want developers to have every motivation to put resources into the software development so it can sing.

Exactly so! I was heartened to hear Dice's early thoughts on what can be changed in their current habits of world building to reduce the RTX load and still achieve the same results. IT seems a combination of smart design, driver optimizations, and a little OC'ing might just put me where I want to be this generation! Hype considering an increase! 

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Exactly so! I was heartened to hear Dice's early thoughts on what can be changed in their current habits of world building to reduce the RTX load and still achieve the same results. IT seems a combination of smart design, driver optimizations, and a little OC'ing might just put me where I want to be this generation! Hype considering an increase! 

I installed the latest drivers for my laptop a bit ago and the entire splash screen during was just showing the 2080ti. It hurt. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I installed the latest drivers for my laptop a bit ago and the entire splash screen during was just showing the 2080ti. It hurt. 

I truly did try to find an appropriate "impatiently waiting" animated gif but instead found this. Still I thought it was good and that you should see it all the same...

Image result for staring at calendar sad animated gif

• Haha 2

Inside Battlefield 5: GeForce RTX's most impressive ray tracing showcase

"It's also important to remember that this is just the beginning and given tools as powerful as Turing's ray tracing technology, DICE is looking towards a future of rich possibilities. For example, the team mentioned experimenting with ray traced ambient occlusion and even the very novel idea of using the BVH structure for GPU particles - meaning that those particles would have perfect placement in the world regardless of the camera location, which could allow for the acceleration of unique effects never seen before in games. But the big deal here overall is that instead of approximating or faking very important real-time effects in their titles, DICE now has access to realistic reflections along with associated behaviours that are a natural fallout from the ray tracing itself. But equally, RTX on Battlefield 5 right now is still very much first generation work - in effect, the ray tracing toolbox has only just been opened. However, with results as impressive as this appearing out of the gate, I'm really enthusiastic about the technology, even though this is just the beginning. The future's looking bright - and exceptionally shiny."

11 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Still rocking my 970.

These next few years are going to be brutal for me. I'm going to be in the market for a new cpu, mobo, and gpu. And probably a new TV and receiver. Not sure which order I should go in though.

Start next year so you can get hdmi 2.1 and get tv, then receiver, then do the pc all at once.