Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

In addition, we're sending out press units for full review shortly. Press review embargo on Steam Deck coverage will lift on February 25th, but keep an eye out for some preview coverage and impressions before that. 

I am glad we will get a lot of coverage before launch 

43 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@stepee the game is great and will look really good on the Deck. 

Debating if I should splurge. God the deck isnt even out yet and I am buying so many games. 

Aya Next update: They seem to have got them in way earlier then anticipated. People have been getting shipping conformations. I hope they ship mine before Chinese New Year. Gonna take the day off. Someone stole one of my PVC orders and I don't want to miss out on the Aya Next. It will carry me until the steam deck. (Probably kept for emulation since it has more cores)

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Debating if I should splurge. God the deck isnt even out yet and I am buying so many games. 

Aya Next update: They seem to have got them in way earlier then anticipated. People have been getting shipping conformations. I hope they ship mine before Chinese New Year. Gonna take the day off. Someone stole one of my PVC orders and I don't want to miss out on the Aya Next. It will carry me until the steam deck. (Probably kept for emulation since it has more cores)

Its on Game Pass so you don’t need to buy it. 

21 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

This guy's channel has a playlist specifically for all his stuff on the Steam Deck. This guy is good, and he really goes in depth with some of the technical specs, and mustard of the SoC. 

I encourage everyone who is interested in the Steam Deck to watch his playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdC3pP79J-A-GZ0d4dDTy2Hvq053uuSPr

• True 1

PDKURody5PXoZd8vsZcRHD-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Steam Deck users sticking with SteamOS will benefit from integrated FSR performance boosts, regardless of game support.

Integrated support for AMD's spiffing FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) upscaling tech is coming to the Steam Deck for Linux users. It should deliver a decent performance boost for users sticking with SteamOS rather than Windows on the much anticipated handheld gaming device. That's regardless of whether the game has built in support for FSR or not, because it's now baked into the OS.

Valve's devlopers have said from the start that FSR will be supported on the Steam Deck. "FSR is already available for some applications that support it. Games that already include FSR will work as is, but also FSR support will be included as part of an OS future release. Once that happens, games could potentially make use of FSR even if the games themselves don't natively support it," the Steam Deck FAQ notes.

• Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, Dimden said:

I want to say this is excellent news, but from what I've seen, FSR is fine for still or low motion images, but turns into a blur fest once action ramps up. Every time I hear about it, I just keep on wishing that Nvidia would make DLSS open source and universal.

Im not sure how that works with DLSS using the tensor cores to perform? I guess let other cards just use their regular cu’s and have it not be efficient? Idk if it can scale like that or not.

If the best thing for AI is to have dedicated tensor cores or something similar I do hope a hardware/software solution becomes standardized though eventually, ideally devs would only have to concentrate on one solution and not (soon to be) three. Maybe intel will help push that into existence since AMD doesn’t seem interested in providing a real competitor still. I guess if all of them end up just being plug ins for the popular engines then it’s not that big of a deal but still cumbersome on the ui side.

But ya fsr support here won’t do much at such a low resolution anyway, it’s really only “okay” at 4k.

31 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I assume that is why he visited them. He specifically mentions XCloud so maybe something is in the works. 

Noooo Xcloud, daddy Phil needs to give us full native gamepass. I realize there is some work for that BUT I have an east first step in that for the games MS publishes they can just give access to them on Steam after a separate entitlement check. Probably can do something similar with all the other games they just need to work that out.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:06 PM, Dimden said:

I want to say this is excellent news, but from what I've seen, FSR is fine for still or low motion images, but turns into a blur fest once action ramps up. Every time I hear about it, I just keep on wishing that Nvidia would make DLSS open source and universal.

I think given the small size of the LCD panel, FSR might be less noticeable in the blurriness department, plus we can expect future updates to make FSR a little bit more in competition with DLSS. One of the things I kept hearing with DLSS is 1.0 wasn't that great, and 2.0 was a massive leap forward in the tech. I think FSR, like Free-Sync before it, will be fine as it gets better over time. 

23 hours ago, stepee said:

Noooo Xcloud, daddy Phil needs to give us full native gamepass. I realize there is some work for that BUT I have an east first step in that for the games MS publishes they can just give access to them on Steam after a separate entitlement check. Probably can do something similar with all the other games they just need to work that out.

xCloud + Game Pass would be fucking mental really. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

I think given the small size of the LCD panel, FSR might be less noticeable in the blurriness department, plus we can expect future updates to make FSR a little bit more in competition with DLSS. One of the things I kept hearing with DLSS is 1.0 wasn't that great, and 2.0 was a massive leap forward in the tech. I think FSR, like Free-Sync before it, will be fine as it gets better over time. 

xCloud + Game Pass would be fucking mental really. 

FSR is a fundamentally worse and outdated method that is only a competitor to DLSS because AMD doesn’t have an actual competitor to DLSS yet, but it could still be better for what it does. FSR is more like the new Nvidia image scaling. I mean I’m sure it will get better, but it’s not going to be anything great until it’s simply completely different technology maybe using the same name.

This sort of thing would be exciting if it could take say a 540p image and scale it up and have it looks better than a 720p image with taa, this isn’t going to do anything like that. Just maybe make a thing here or there look a tiny bit sharper.

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Organize Black Cat GIF by Industrial Workers of the World

Not soon enough. Guess it's better then DICE's "soon". 

Also I rolled a 1 and the Aya Neo Next didn't ship before Chinese New Years. Hopefully I get it this month though. Kinda funny I bought an HP AMD ultrabook. I like it alot but it has a 5700U so technically the Neo Next I get will be more powerful. Wish my Alienware was Ryzen based.

steam-deck-conference-top.png
BOILINGSTEAM.COM

Leaked from a Chinese developer, we can see the Steam Deck's side bar menu within SteamOS when running a game to tweak GPU settings

Pretty cool how you can adjust settings on the fly. I hope Valve will support config sharing settings so people like me can have those settings automatically applied.