Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

You get the rokid and send me the n-real you won’t need anymore. 

I have to see if rokid has a windows 3dof program that works if not I’ll still have a use for the n-real. If so get rokid you can have the nreal as soon as there’s some windows software for virtual monitors.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

I didn’t get Rokid yet! Only @Rev has it yet and impressions overall sound like it’s the way to go!

I know you didn’t, but I knew you wanted some impression before you possibly make another purchase. 

Spoiler

Can’t wait to hopefully play the devil on your shoulder saying “DO IT, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO!” 

Thats Me Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

On 3/28/2023 at 7:12 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Dolphin coming to steam so you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it on your deck

steamannouncementheader-social.jpg
DOLPHIN-EMU.ORG

We are pleased to announce our great experiment - Dolphin is coming to Steam! Our store page is now live, and you can visit it with the handy widget below. However, due to how Steam works, you won't be able to download the emulator through Steam just yet. Feel free to wishlist us to be notified when Dolphin is available to download on Steam!

Good ol' Nintendo issuing a DMCA

JUEbBczAtU4bdKj2tZ6TtJ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The GameCube & Wii emulator developers say the Steam release is "indefinitely postponed."

I just want to say please check out decky/vibrant deck if you haven’t already. I rebooted and it didn’t load and man it’s like the life is sucked out of the image until I put it back on. I always felt saturation was too low before and now the default just looks wrong. I find it so much better with saturation like +50 on my unit. 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Good ol' Nintendo issuing a DMCA

JUEbBczAtU4bdKj2tZ6TtJ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The GameCube & Wii emulator developers say the Steam release is "indefinitely postponed."

smashbros-wiu-scrn03jpg-dc3bd2.jpg?width
WWW.IGN.COM

Nintendo has explained why it issued a cease and desist order against Wii and GameCube emulator Dolphin over its launch on Steam, saying its existence "harms development and ultimately stifles innovation".

On 5/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

smashbros-wiu-scrn03jpg-dc3bd2.jpg?width
WWW.IGN.COM

Nintendo has explained why it issued a cease and desist order against Wii and GameCube emulator Dolphin over its launch on Steam, saying its existence "harms development and ultimately stifles innovation".

It's interesting that they make a big deal with Dolphin (though MVG on YT did state that the encryption keys for the Wii are in the source code, so that would help explain the big stink Nintendo is making), and yet Retroarch remains on Steam without issue to my knowledge. 

EDIT: So in theory, if the Dolphin team go on to say, "Hey we removed the BIOS/Keys from the source code to be in compliance, so you'll have to source that yourselves," then they might be in the clear again to resubmit it on Steam. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy is fantastic on the Deck. As you might expect from a console port, it's excellent with the SD's controller and it looks great; very bright and smooth performance with everything maxed out. 

As someone who has never played the Crash Bandicoot games before though, they're kind of unforgiving, or maybe I've just gotten too old and slow for platformers. :lol:

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy is fantastic on the Deck. As you might expect from a console port, it's excellent with the SD's controller and it looks great; very bright and smooth performance with everything maxed out. 

As someone who has never played the Crash Bandicoot games before though, they're kind of unforgiving, or maybe I've just gotten too old and slow for platformers. :lol:

Crash 4 by extension runs very nicely on deck as well! Crash is tough as shit but they get easier as you play the newer ones. Crash 3 isn’t too bad difficulty wise and Crash 2 is reasonable but Crash1 is brutal.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Crash 4 by extension runs very nicely on deck as well! Crash is tough as shit but they get easier as you play the newer ones. Crash 3 isn’t too bad difficulty wise and Crash 2 is reasonable but Crash1 is brutal.

Yeah I started on 1 and only played maybe 15-20 minutes so far but I've died so many times already. :lol:

It does kind of throw me off to have a fixed camera and invisible walls in what appears to be a 3D platformer ala Mario Odyssey but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

16 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I started on 1 and only played maybe 15-20 minutes so far but I've died so many times already. :lol:

It does kind of throw me off to have a fixed camera and invisible walls in what appears to be a 3D platformer ala Mario Odyssey but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

What I find helps me in Crash is to actually not try to be TOO careful. If I get tense on every jump I’m going fail, you kinda just have to go with the flow and trust you will make the jumps and usually you will. I think there is a compensation that makes it easier if you just go with the flow.

• Halal 1

So I’m moving all the roms I collected on the deck over so I can get all the emus going on the ROG and decommission the deck. It’s kinda sad after being so hyped for it and with how much I enjoyed it and how much I used it last year to move on so quickly but the race for a quality screen is real. I like the power boost of the rog but I didn’t need one yet, deck plays most things at a level that’s fine for a handheld for me and then I had moonlight.

I am actually happy to just be on regular Windows as much as SteamOS impressed me but the main thing is the 120hz vrr screen, that is now a requirement for me along with the ability to just plug an external drive into a dock and play games off it.

So anyway I’ll probably set the deck up for a relative that hasn’t dabbled in pc much. I’d like to set it up fresh so all my shit is gone but then set the emulators up so they don’t have to do that part which might be hard for them.

I forget, do you need a steam account to do the initial startup?

• 2 months later...

Valve: don’t expect a faster Steam Deck ‘in the next couple of years’

It’s important to us that the Deck offers a fixed performance target for developers, and that the message to customers is simple, where every Deck can play the same games. As such, changing the performance level is not something we are taking lightly, and we only want to do so when there is a significant enough increase to be had. We also don’t want more performance to come at a significant cost to power efficiency and battery life. I don’t anticipate such a leap to be possible in the next couple of years, but we’re still closely monitoring innovations in architectures and fabrication processes to see where things are going there.

I feel like that's far from definitive, as it does seem to depend upon what kind of leaps AMD makes with the next release or two. Maybe a chip designed with FSR 3 and frame gen along with a VRR capable screen would be enough of a leap to justify a new model.

Personally, while I understand Valve's approach here, I kind of wish that they kept putting out updates for the Deck. Having a static hardware target obviously has great benefits for consoles, but ultimately the deck is still playing games designed for the PC market as a whole, of which the deck is still only a small part. The Switch will never get left behind by Switch devs, the Steam Deck will continue to be left behind by PC devs. Also, at this point I don't feel like the Deck is a great investment, even if it still is the handheld to beat. (but that might just be some rationalization for not buying one sooner). Lastly, while I feel like Valve did a great job with version 1, I have to imagine they've learned a lot about building this kind of gadget and would love to see what improvements they make their second go. I suppose we'll find out in 25 or 26.

That’s too bad, though they opened up the market now so at least I don’t need to wait for them. I do hope they make it easier to dual boot whenever it comes out. Next year is when deck is going to struggle with most AAA games so it would be nice if they had an update that could play those games, but the ROG will skate by with them and maybe they do an update next year even.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s too bad, though they opened up the market now so at least I don’t need to wait for them. I do hope they make it easier to dual boot whenever it comes out. Next year is when deck is going to struggle with most AAA games so it would be nice if they had an update that could play those games, but the ROG will skate by with them and maybe they do an update next year even.

What's your favorite steam deck alternative, currently? 

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

What's your favorite steam deck alternative, currently? 

I’m a big fan of the ROG Ally, besides the power it’s a huge display upgrade and having vrr on a handheld is a game changer, I wouldn’t want a pc handheld without it now. Some of the other more expensive ones might be better now, I’m not sure, but I’ve been really happy with the ally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Valve: don’t expect a faster Steam Deck ‘in the next couple of years’

I feel like that's far from definitive, as it does seem to depend upon what kind of leaps AMD makes with the next release or two. Maybe a chip designed with FSR 3 and frame gen along with a VRR capable screen would be enough of a leap to justify a new model.

Personally, while I understand Valve's approach here, I kind of wish that they kept putting out updates for the Deck. Having a static hardware target obviously has great benefits for consoles, but ultimately the deck is still playing games designed for the PC market as a whole, of which the deck is still only a small part. The Switch will never get left behind by Switch devs, the Steam Deck will continue to be left behind by PC devs. Also, at this point I don't feel like the Deck is a great investment, even if it still is the handheld to beat. (but that might just be some rationalization for not buying one sooner). Lastly, while I feel like Valve did a great job with version 1, I have to imagine they've learned a lot about building this kind of gadget and would love to see what improvements they make their second go. I suppose we'll find out in 25 or 26.

I get their point, but I also think now is the time to be a little volatile because they really did start a new market and it's worthwhile to put up with a bit of exploration as they figure out what works.

We might, however, get upgrades in the form of battery life and screen quality which would be welcome though.

• True 1

It is a strange take by Valve because no one is targeting the Deck for development. There have been plenty of “Deck Verified” games that run poorly.  

Also customers of the Deck are enthusiasts. This has not penetrated the main stream where regular people are deciding between this and the Switch. I think Valve can get away with quicker refreshments. I would understand if its view was “we aren’t a hardware company. We will release updates when we are ready.”

This is a nonissue because I think Lenovo, ASUS, and others will fill the space. While I am interested in the Deck 2, I am not the biggest fan of the Linux based Steam OS. 

• True 1