Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

• 2 weeks later...
hBji4N7d2e9zvs93x2wQx7-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The Steam Deck hardware delivers, while SteamOS has the potential to deliver a great on-the-go PC gaming experience.

After spending a far too brief couple hours with the Steam Deck, I'm not sure if I would consider it a one-to-one replacement for the Nintendo Switch. Its bigger size isn't as ideal for throwing in a backpack and playing on the go. But as a portable PC gaming machine, it really is impressive: it's comfortable, feels great to hold, and seems to have the power to play games like Death Stranding with decent settings. If SteamOS really can deliver the compatibility Valve's aiming for, the Steam Deck is going to become my go-to system for playing games that I wish I could play on the Switch, lounging on my couch, that it just doesn't have the muscle for. And I'm convinced it's going to be the best emulation device ever made.

4iH4GNWvLhdcB8ggt3QnmU-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

"There's work looking at TPM just now... and there's nothing to indicate to us yet that there'll be any issues with Windows 11."

Valve has told us there is nothing it's seen in the development of the Steam Deck that suggests it won't be compatible with Windows 11 at launch. 

6GJnGNWCjG4p6jxpv43cKc-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

"There will be an API that game developers will be able to call to say, 'Is this Steam Deck? If so, use these settings.'"

"We'll have something similar to that," Yang replies. "There will be an API that game developers will be able to call to say, 'Is this Steam Deck? If so, use these settings.'"

• Thanks 1

zw4dauCT2kbE39fZzkfcGL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Answers coming soon from Valve as to just how upgradable the Steam Deck will be.

Ever since Valve announced the Steam Deck handheld PC, questions have been coming in thick and fast. Among them has been a great deal of speculation around replacement parts, along with whether or not any of the Deck's components will be upgradable. 

In speaking to Valve's product designers, Tucker Spofford and Greg Coomer, we discovered the company is almost ready to reveal more on the subject.

"We're getting questions about upgradability of components, replacement parts. Like, 'can I take it apart?' We're gonna start answering more of those questions," says Coomer. "There's actually a fairly nuanced set of answers around all those things, because of a bunch of details that have to do with what happens when you take it apart, what all the trade offs are in the components that we've selected."

QyB79gzHVp28C35WpLD48G-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Discussions around potential Steam Deck colours are still underway.

The upcoming Steam Deck handheld PCs could end up with a boatload more colours than plain old black and white. In a recent trip to Valve HQ we had a chat with product designers, Tucker Spofford and Greg Coomer, and were granted some insight into just how much thought is going into just choosing the colour of the upcoming Steam Deck machine.

"There was a lot of debate," Spofford tells us. 

"And also genuinely fun exploration around that stuff," chimes in Coomer. "And even discussions like 'well, can we have lots of colours?' We had all those discussions. We are continuing to have those now."

SSD being swappable is all but a guarantee, same with the battery when that gets old and worn. We already know the Ram is "on-board" which I believe is code for soldered, which wouldn't surprise me. Same with the APU. Almost guaranteed to be soldered to the mobo.

Upgradability will be limited for a system like this, which in my mind goes without saying. That said, it'll be more upgradable than an Apple product. Heyoo!

29 minutes ago, vaxick said:

That matte screen they're using looks fantastic.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
yea the etched looks good. If you watch the verge video, the etched looks horrendous. I am sure Valve wouldn’t ship the screen if they didn’t think the two are comparable. These videos are getting me so hyped 

18 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
yea the etched looks good. If you watch the verge video, the etched looks horrendous. I am sure Valve wouldn’t ship the screen if they didn’t think the two are comparable. These videos are getting me so hyped 

ya verge has been kinda sketch with some stuff, I saw one comparison they did that just had different lighting. I’m sure both screens will be good.

33 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

It looked quite nice in the Linus Tech Tips video.

41 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m pretty sure both screens will be better than the standard switch screen when this comes out, I’m not worried.

Resetera is overreacting about it. I hope enough cancels and gets me a December shipping date. 

:feelsgood:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They are not nearly as hard left as we are.  They don't even advocate violence!

Advocate the mention of it triggers them. If I posted my mind on their threads conservatives/fascists would think I'm on their side. 

44 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Resetera is overreacting about it. I hope enough cancels and gets me a December shipping date. 

:feelsgood:

They seem to be just as confused about how matte displays work as ICP is in regards to magnets.

• Haha 3