Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

34 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have turned my old hotmail email into my internet trash account. I never check it. I pretend it doesn’t exist. When I ordered, I assumed Steam would automatically charge me in the future. Nope. Instead I need to dumpster dive to make sure I don’t miss the confirm email. 

I too have mine going through my junk Hotmail account and hope I do t miss my notice. So I have allowed my account to send my phone a text notification from Steam. I’ll be checking like crazy come April 4th

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think of Windows support as essential to the goal of the Steamdeck, which I see as being able to play your entire library of PC games on a handheld. It is, and will remain, the case that some games will simply not work (or work well enough) on Linux. It greatly increases the value of the device to me if I know I can play PC gamepass games or games like Destiny that won't be playable on Linux.

That said, it's clear that the Windows experience is far from complete for now. Until you can dual boot Steam OS and Windows and Windows itself is a better experience, it doesn't seem like Windows is a worthwhile option on the deck.

I can see that.

For me, the Deck presents as a stop-gap between PC Gaming, and Console Gaming. We've already seen this occurring though with PC Gaming becoming more Console-Like, and Consoles becoming more PC-Like. For something like the Deck, the purpose is pick up, and play. Hit a button, select a game, and begin playing almost immediately. That's actually one of my favorite features of the Switch for example. If I have a game already suspended, I get get back into the game in less than 10 seconds. That's exactly what I want for the Deck, and Windows cannot do that (I do not know if the PS5, and Xbox Series can do that as I don't own those, but I know the Base PS4 takes a little time to boot up before you can get on with gaming).

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I check mine. I don't like alerts going off on my phone especially for emails.

Right? who tf wants to be updated every 2 minutes?

Even with all the filtering options available nowadays there are very few if any urgent emails that I need to be alerted to immediately, I'll check them when I have free time.

2 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

I can see that.

For me, the Deck presents as a stop-gap between PC Gaming, and Console Gaming. We've already seen this occurring though with PC Gaming becoming more Console-Like, and Consoles becoming more PC-Like. For something like the Deck, the purpose is pick up, and play. Hit a button, select a game, and begin playing almost immediately. That's actually one of my favorite features of the Switch for example. If I have a game already suspended, I get get back into the game in less than 10 seconds. That's exactly what I want for the Deck, and Windows cannot do that (I do not know if the PS5, and Xbox Series can do that as I don't own those, but I know the Base PS4 takes a little time to boot up before you can get on with gaming).

Maybe it’s a long term goal of the Steam Deck platform to provide a console like experience, but I don’t really see that as being the case for this first iteration. Everything I’ve read suggests that this first machine is very much one that you’ll be tinkering with quite a lot to get the most out of it. With a Switch game (baring any patches), you’re all ready from the moment the game opens. With the Steam Deck, you’ll need to be sure that the game is compatible, that it has runs well enough, you might need to find the right control scheme, and you’ll probably need to configure the graphics options to get it running just right.

Not that I’m saying all that is a bad thing. I’ve been a PC gamer for a long time and I like tinkering around with things, but in that respect the Steam Deck is very different from a console experience. Because of the limited hardware power, the OS, and the irregular control scheme, the Deck requires far more of that PC like tinkering than most people otherwise might have to put into a game.

The steam controller had community settings available to download for each game. I think a similar setup would work for the Deck. Let the active community figure out the best settings both for the hardware and software. Then let the regular folks apply those settings to the deck before launching. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The steam controller had community settings available to download for each game. I think a similar setup would work for the Deck. Let the active community figure out the best settings both for the hardware and software. Then let the regular folks apply those settings to the deck before launching. 

Yeah, this is what I see happening. A "profile" would be loaded similar to your typical optimized settings when playing on a normal PC.

29 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Guys send help the covid outbreak in China is preventing me from getting my Aya Neo Next and those ebay steam decks are tempting me.

With Keyser getting his email already I'm hopeful I'll be a week 1 Q2 shipment... anticipation is killing me. If I had a less vague estimate it'd be a lot easier to wait it out.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also the email is just to tell you it's ready to order. If you don't want to keep checking your email you could just keep checking the steam deck page through steam and you'll see an extra prompt to order it. (Which is what I did when I got the email)

What are shipping options?

Really crazy to think I could actually have this thing in a month possibly? This is going swifter than I anticipated. Man I have no idea where I’m going to start.

I’m going to try to not go too crazy and go through a 6 month benching bender. Going to need to get a whole bunch of emu stuff setup asap though.

I'm really starting to second guess the need for this thing. I'm After 2nd Q2022 but still it's giving me to much time to think about it. 649.99 won't kill us, and the thought of selling it has now actually crossed my mind but I'd be a hypocrite so I'm really getting second thoughts. With the short supply on everything these days I'm keeping the pre-order but I do not think I'll use this very much. I don't know what to do, but seeing them seeing them for double easily is so very tempting. I could sell it and save the money toward a 40series GPU next year. 1500 would cover the cost of at least a 4080Ti at retail anyway right? WOW, options suck. I do love Fancy "NEW TECH" though, I'm really waffling every day on this thought. Mine is probably set for December 2022 anyways...lol

How Valve fixed Elden Ring on Steam Deck (Eurogamer)

One of the most intriguing stories to emerge from the launch of Steam Deck was the news that Valve leveraged their Linux-based Proton compatibility layer to effectively fix the problematic PC version of Elden Ring. Directly after finishing my Steam Deck review, I captured Elden Ring running 'out of the box' without Valve's optimisations in play, then tried out the 'fixed' experience. Were the issues truly resolved - and if so, how did Valve do it? In addition to that, we've since had a couple of further patches, which raises another crucial question: is Elden Ring on PC now fixed?

Going back to our launch PC coverage, the stutter in the game was unbearable, with our working theory being that we were looking at yet another PC game suffering from shader compilation issues: split-second pauses whenever a new visual effect came into play. We've talked about this a lot recently: it's not an issue on consoles because the fixed nature of the hardware means that shaders are pre-compiled and included in the package. However, in a PC, where hardware spec varies so dramatically, the process is more complicated. In this respect, Steam Deck has an advantage, because it is a fixed piece of hardware, just like a console.

"On the Linux/Proton side, we have a pretty extensive shader pre-caching system with multiple levels of source-level and binary cache representations pre-seeded and shared across users," Valve's Pierre-Loup Griffais told us. "On the Deck, we take this to the next level, since we have a unique GPU/driver combination to target, and the majority of the shaders that you run locally are actually pre-built on servers in our infrastructure. When the game is trying to issue a shader compile through its graphics API of choice, those are usually skipped, as we find the pre-compiled cache entry on disk."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HardAct said:

I'm really starting to second guess the need for this thing. I'm After 2nd Q2022 but still it's giving me to much time to think about it. 649.99 won't kill us, and the thought of selling it has now actually crossed my mind but I'd be a hypocrite so I'm really getting second thoughts. With the short supply on everything these days I'm keeping the pre-order but I do not think I'll use this very much. I don't know what to do, but seeing them seeing them for double easily is so very tempting. I could sell it and save the money toward a 40series GPU next year. 1500 would cover the cost of at least a 4080Ti at retail anyway right? WOW, options suck. I do love Fancy "NEW TECH" though, I'm really waffling every day on this thought. Mine is probably set for December 2022 anyways...lol

If you don't want to be a complete hypocrite, you can sell it to someone here for a price that falls in between Valve's price and Ebay prices. I'm sure someone here would be willing.

• True 1

What laptop did you get? I replaced my Dell ultrabook (gave it to a nursing school student that didnt have a PC for online classes during covid) with a HP Envy. AMD 5700U so my Aya Neo Advance is stronger but it's a good general purpose laptop. So have it and a Alienware m17. 

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

What laptop did you get? I replaced my Dell ultrabook (gave it to a nursing school student that didnt have a PC for online classes during covid) with a HP Envy. AMD 5700U so my Aya Neo Advance is stronger but it's a good general purpose laptop. So have it and a Alienware m17. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

How’s the new laptop?

Its awesome. Super quiet and cool even running Horizon Zero Dawn maxed out. I'm very happy with it.