Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

Still on Q2 2022 for me. 

I've concluded there are three possible scenarios here: 

1) I receive my Steam Deck before my queue position for an RTX 3060 ti

2) I receive an email notification for the RTX 3060 ti before my reservation for the Steam Deck

3) Through sheer luck, I win a Newegg shuffle for a new GPU before either of those

I have no idea which one would happen first. I did, however, win a Newegg shuffle for a Core i7 12700k + DDR5 memory over a week ago, but I realized I didn't want that (plus the price was too high). So if I won the shuffle once, it's possible I could be selected again for a new GPU later on down the road. And this time, I'll only select GPUs (AMD or nVidia...or Intel if that gets added to the shuffle), and no CPUs. 

In the meantime, I'll keep on cracking with my backlog of games in anticipation. :cool:

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yea I am getting pretty hyped and trying to resist buying a new laptop to hold me over. 

I'm wondering myself what to do about gaming laptops. Though I guess I'd still want one since I can't really play total war or any RTS on either the Neo or Steam Deck. 

Gaming laptops always sound like something I want until I have one and I never use it for gaming. They are better now but they are always heavier, hotter, and have a worse battery life than solutions that I much prefer like the Surface line. 

Then for gaming I just never seem to want to game in that form factor. You need to be plugged into a ac adapter to really take advantage of them as well. But mostly I don’t think there is a sitting or laying back position I really like gaming on a laptop screen on. I would always rather just play a handheld or a game on the tv, I never want to actually play in that in between really.

34 minutes ago, stepee said:

Gaming laptops always sound like something I want until I have one and I never use it for gaming. They are better now but they are always heavier, hotter, and have a worse battery life than solutions that I much prefer like the Surface line. 

Then for gaming I just never seem to want to game in that form factor. You need to be plugged into a ac adapter to really take advantage of them as well. But mostly I don’t think there is a sitting or laying back position I really like gaming on a laptop screen on. I would always rather just play a handheld or a game on the tv, I never want to actually play in that in between really.

I use mine for gaming at my friend's house or emulation there. Covid has killed that plus he has a baby now. It was nice when I could use it. 

Edit: though yes I still question the need since it's alot more convenient to carry around a steam deck or neo then my 17in alienware. Still it's a great laptop.

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I'm wondering myself what to do about gaming laptops. Though I guess I'd still want one since I can't really play total war or any RTS on either the Neo or Steam Deck. 

I am hoping the Deck with its plug in mode can work well enough for some RTS games.

Since I work on a laptop all day, it’s the reason why I enjoy gaming on my TV with a controller. I love the idea of a gaming laptop but I never end up using it as much as I think. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am hoping the Deck with its plug in mode can work well enough for some RTS games.

Since I work on a laptop all day, it’s the reason why I enjoy gaming on my TV with a controller. I love the idea of a gaming laptop but I never end up using it as much as I think. 

I'd still prefer a gaming laptop for the bells and wistles and the easier controls. I'e either be playing Total War, an online mp RTS, Homeworld, paradox games or a sim like Combat Missions.

I do think SP campaigns for RTS, TBS, and grand strategy games should be fine. Lol I should host a hoi4 MP game on the Aya Neo Next or on the Steam deck for the memes.

9 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I'd still prefer a gaming laptop for the bells and wistles and the easier controls. I'e either be playing Total War, an online mp RTS, Homeworld, paradox games or a sim like Combat Missions.

I do think SP campaigns for RTS, TBS, and grand strategy games should be fine. Lol I should host a hoi4 MP game on the Aya Neo Next or on the Steam deck for the memes.

Fortunately on Steam Deck, you still get touch pads out-of-the-box like a laptop and can still plug in a mouse like a laptop if you want. 

You'd always need to plug in a keyboard to a deck if you wanted one, but I suspect we'll find lots of shells for that pair it with one if that's your norm.

19 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Based on the Neo the Deck is gonna be amazing. I'm so hyped I ordered an Aya Neo Next. Mainly because I want more storage space, my unit misses the uqpdates the post indiegogo models have. Should be here by end of feb or mar.

Reading up on the Aya Neo NEXT Advance, it looks fairly competitive on paper compared to the Deck, although it does have its own limitations. Using a Ryzen 7 5800U, it does sport double the cores/threads, but uses Vega 8 graphics, which is GCN architecture. In contrast, the Deck uses RDNA 2. On top that, the NEXT Advance uses LPDDR4X memory in dual-channel whereas the Deck is LPDDR5 in quad-channel (same quantity of ram at 16GB). That said, the top spec Next Pro does have a 32GB option. 

It does appear to have better bluetooth, newer Wifi module, the use of Hall effect sensors for the joysticks, fingerprint unlock, and like you mentioned a lot more storage space (not to mention it uses the standard 2280 nvme m.2 instead of the Deck's 2230), but at over twice the price, I find it difficult to prefer the Neo NEXT Advance over the Deck in this case. No doubt the extra CPU horsepower will help more open-world titles I'm sure, or strategy-based games, but in general, I think they'll be closer in real world power than not. It also does have more features, plus I think it has more I/O as well. 

Aya Neo feels more like a complete package as it comes across as a handheld gaming PC that could also be used for productivity. The Deck feels more like the Switch in that it's intended purpose is gaming. 

Either way, both devices look cool, and will undoubtedly perform very well. 2022 is looking exciting for handheld gaming-centric PCs. 

8 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
351355603id20335gol.jpg
WWW.GAMINGONLINUX.COM

Something that still doesn't quite feel right somehow is seeing the likes of a PlayStation logo on Linux. Anyway, the smash hit God of War is now on Steam and works right away on...

Deck, Sony’s new handheld

love and hip hop lol GIF by VH1

Sony's best handheld.

I want to thank AMD for making this possible. When they announced fusion I thought to myself cool but I guess it might help me in a laptop. Now I hunt for APU news like I do for GPU news. 

The thought of a 5nm Zen4/RDNA3 APU powered steam deck or Neo is yummy.

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Still in the Q1 club :cool:

I've been thinking what if it just shows up to my door with no confirmation? :o

You're supposed to get an email before they ship it out to confirm you still want to get one, and also pay for it lol. I think you have a limited time to respond, otherwise you give up your queue.

2 hours ago, Siebzehn said:

You'd have to pay for it first, yeah?

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You're supposed to get an email before they ship it out to confirm you still want to get one, and also pay for it lol. I think you have a limited time to respond, otherwise you give up your queue.

Are You Jealous Shannon Purser GIF by Room104

13 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

Yes :( I wish I was Q1

I was Q1 until I got bumped to Q2

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

which is stupid. Let me pay now and get bumped ahead of the poor people. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I was Q1 until I got bumped to Q2

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

which is stupid. Let me pay now and get bumped ahead of the poor people. 

I'm glad I changed my email on steam but yes they should just let us pay upfront as an option. Like that it ships as soon as it's our turn or ships as soon as people ahead of us bail. 

Kinda concerned about scalpers. Since the numbers are so limited some people maybe tempted to just scalpe it. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:14 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Priority went to actual steam users so I'm sure the scalping market will be low, at least lower than everything else.

I almost forgot about that. I think it was 24 or 48 hours prior that verified Steam users who have had an account for at least 6 months or something before it was open to the public. So the likelihood of scalpers, at least initially might be reduced.

I seem to recall some folks who previously did not have a Steam account were upset they could not get first dibs (probably because they were going to scalp it). 

And to top that off, your reservation is limited to one Deck per account, and I think even per address, so creating multiple accounts wouldn't work. I can't remember all the details off hand, but it appeared that Valve understood how to minimize scalpers/bots to at least give actual gamers first blood at reserving one. 

If only other companies did this for their GPUs... (outside of EVGA of course)

17 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am expecting the reviews to show that Proton is nowhere near as good as people hoped and that compatibility is a huge problem.

I'll continue praying things will get better until after Q2, and end up cancelling my order....

Stay the course brother. Worse comes to worse just install windows.

Crap forgot to post this yesterday. That proton list is good but Person 4 meanz I might need to install windows on it. 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

That does appear a bit worrying, given the Deck is suppose to launch next month. Then again, we could be seeing more of this in the coming weeks leading up to the launch of Deck, plus a steady increase in Steam Deck verifications throughout 2022. Interestingly, I'm curious why NONE of Valve's own titles are on this list. I guess my next question is how accurate is this list? 

That said, I have no intention on cancelling my reservation, and even if I do end up anyway, I'd wait until my queue comes up. Even if launch lineup of Steam Deck verified titles is small, maybe by Q2, compatibility will be much better. And besides, I expect tinkerers, homebrewers, and modders to have guides for installing Windows on it, Emulators, and of course the official Steam library for Proton will get better over time. 

I also can't wait to see how this'll work in terms of productivity for something like video editing, or photoshop because, why not? 

"Running Davinci Resolve on the Steam Deck!"