Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

On 8/13/2021 at 3:10 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Is it unhealthy that I check once a week to see if my shipping date changed from Q1 to Dec?

Only if it interferes with your day to day activities. Otherwise, check away. 

I did just check my reservation, and it’s still at Q1 2022 myself, which I’m ok with. Maybe it’ll give me some time to play a bit of my PS4 backlog, so I have a few games on Steam to play for the Deck. :D

• 4 weeks later...
nyzcVrKe8hvqAbTqrHM2zF-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Yet a key original Proton dev has doubts it will work with every single game.

An interview with Codeweaver's James Ramey (on Boiling Steam) suggests that the Steam Deck won't be able to run all of the games in your Steam library after all. Ramey is in a strong position to have an opinion on the topic, as he's the president of Codeweavers, which is the driving force behind WINE, a key component of Proton—the layer needed to get your games running on SteamOS.

This appears to be at odds with what Valve already stated in its interview with IGN about the handheld, with Pierre-Loup Griffais saying, "This is the first time we've achieved the level of performance that is required to really run the latest generation of games without problems. All the games we wanted to be playable is, really, the entire Steam library. We haven't really found something we could throw at this device that it couldn't handle."

Ramey sees this as purely referring to the hardware capabilities of the Steam Deck, rather than the state of Proton support, "Well, I don’t necessarily think that is true because not every game runs in Proton as of today," he says.

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
nyzcVrKe8hvqAbTqrHM2zF-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Yet a key original Proton dev has doubts it will work with every single game.

My memory of info previously released was that the new versions of Proton Valve is developing, but which is not in the hands of the public, largely corrects these holes. Not sure if that is as true as they claim, but if so, you can't really invalidate the claim by what the current version of Proton is.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, stepee said:

Wait you can do that? Use it as a game pad setting the screen to a keyboard or other buttons and what not to play your main pc?

So the FAQ came out and you can in fact use it as a controller for your PC. Nothing mentioned about using the touchscreen as a keyboard but I would he shocked if someone didn't make that happen the first day it is out (or even before then).

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

So the FAQ came out and you can in fact use it as a controller for your PC. Nothing mentioned about using the touchscreen as a keyboard but I would he shocked if someone didn't make that happen the first day it is out (or even before then).

That actually has some interesting implications. If it's comfortable to hold for extended periods of time (and has sufficient build quality) then I could see myself using it a lot especially in something like FFXIV. I'd love to be able to get some wild touchscreen implementation where I can assign buttons or actions/system functions to the touchscreen, Wii U style. I was actually legit bummed when the Steam Controller did away with its little touchscreen. I think that sort of addition has some real potential. Not everywhere of course (especially since you probably shouldn't be looking at your controller in many games) but I could see very niche but very cool use cases.

9 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. The FAQ says

Yes, you can connect your Steam Deck to a PC via Remote Play and use it as a controller.

Remote play is a bit different; that means wireless streaming stuff on your PC to the steam deck and isn't quite the same as using it as a USB/wireless controller. In particular, you may have to deal with latency issues and the screen would be used for the video.

Now, maybe they have a more custom low-bandwidth low-latency mode where you really just want it as a controller and not stream video at all, but the FAQ feels a bit ambiguous about what this would be.

41 minutes ago, legend said:

Remote play is a bit different; that means wireless streaming stuff on your PC to the steam deck and isn't quite the same as using it as a USB/wireless controller. In particular, you may have to deal with latency issues and the screen would be used for the video.

Now, maybe they have a more custom low-bandwidth low-latency mode where you really just want it as a controller and not stream video at all, but the FAQ feels a bit ambiguous about what this would be.

Way to kill the 10 seconds of hype I had. But you are right, that just sounds like what I can do with my iphone/backbone now. And i’ve tried that, it’s okay, but there is an extra lag and seems like a waste of resources streaming the whole thing.

This does make me realize however that this will work great for wiiu’s other failed concept of local multiplayer with each person having their own screen, or using remote play together for games that don’t have split screen and only online.

Im sure a more proper pc controller with touchscreen for ui/etc will happen eventually either by valve or someone else. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:30 AM, legend said:

They said you can connect it to your PC via remote play and use it as a controller. That's just how you are connecting it to the PC. Playing games on it with remote play is a no duh and wouldn't need to be covered in the FAQ (pretty sure they have already talked about it before this came out). Cut and dry they say you can use it as a PC controller.

23 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

They said you can connect it to your PC via remote play and use it as a controller. That's just how you are connecting it to the PC. Playing games on it with remote play is a no duh and wouldn't need to be covered in the FAQ (pretty sure they have already talked about it before this came out). Cut and dry they say you can use it as a PC controller.

I don't think it reads that way, or rather I don't think it clearly reads that way. I'll be glad if they do have something different and low-latency to use it purely as a controller though, so we'll see!

21 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't think it reads that way, or rather I don't think it clearly reads that way. I'll be glad if they do have something different and low-latency to use it purely as a controller though, so we'll see!

But the question was even about using it as a controller for the PC. I think you guys are reading way too much into it or just ask them yourself if you doubt the FAQ :p

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

We must all email Gabe directly about this.

Agreed! Thing is, streaming to your steam deck and using it as a game pad by just looking at your main screen is “using the deck as a pc game pad” it’s just not a good solution. That might not be what they meant, but since that way will definitely be one way you can do it, I need them to be specific about it until i get hard.

I'm curious how much better it would be than the quest 2. On one hand you get a shit ton more ram, memory bandwidth, much better cpu, etc. On the other hand the gpu still tops out at 1.6tflops compared to 1.37tflops for the Quest 2, not much of a leap there. Barring any exclusives, you'd probably just see games running at better frame rates maybe closer to 90-120 on a deckVR. I can't imagine it being any less than at least twice as expensive as Quest 2 though.