Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

17 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

And yet, based on that Steamworks video I posted earlier, Valve are supplying dev kits for folks. So I'm wondering if their plan is to get developers to have their games work natively via SteamOS on this, and/or have a proper compatibility layer with Proton (Did Valve have dev kits for their Steam Machines back in the day?). That, and maybe have specific graphic profiles for optimal performance, and fidelity.

Valve appears to be taking this whole thing quite seriously if they're supplying dev kits for what is a full-blown Computer in handheld form. At least, that's my take on this. I will be actively checking on updates from Valve as the Deck gets closer to launch.

It makes sense for Valve to send out dev kits. They're not that expensive, and the difference between a native game and a poorly optimized one can be huge. Even though it is just a PC, I'm sure Valve wants this to be more of a typical handheld console like experience. You're not going to get that without at least some effort from the devs.

If you have to tweak settings in every other game you play on this thing, it's going to drive away a lot of customers. You're certainly not going to pick up a lot of the Switch crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

It makes sense for Valve to send out dev kits. They're not that expensive, and the difference between a native game and a poorly optimized one can be huge. Even though it is just a PC, I'm sure Valve wants this to be more of a typical handheld console like experience. You're not going to get that without at least some effort from the devs.

If you have to tweak settings in every other game you play on this thing, it's going to drive away a lot of customers. You're certainly not going to pick up a lot of the Switch crowd.

Agreed. I was talking with another buddy of mine on Discord, and he and I both agreed that in order for this to be successful, it has to be a pick up and go system where the end user doesn't have to change any settings to get games to work. I want to say this is why I've been hearing good things about SteamOS 3.0 in regards to its use with Proton, and adding compatibility for windows games on a Linux system.

And based on what I read on the Steam subreddit, Linux prefers AMD vs. Intel/nVidia in terms of ease of use, and performance, so that also might come into play.

The end result for this should be you don't have to install windows to play games, even though you certainly can. You should be able to boot the system up with its default OS, select a game, and get straight into it. I have no problems with tinkering, but for the vast majority of users, it needs to be pick up and play.

Like you said, a more console-like experience is what we're after.

2 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

And yet, based on that Steamworks video I posted earlier, Valve are supplying dev kits for folks. So I'm wondering if their plan is to get developers to have their games work natively via SteamOS on this, and/or have a proper compatibility layer with Proton (Did Valve have dev kits for their Steam Machines back in the day?). That, and maybe have specific graphic profiles for optimal performance, and fidelity.

Valve appears to be taking this whole thing quite seriously if they're supplying dev kits for what is a full-blown Computer in handheld form. At least, that's my take on this. I will be actively checking on updates from Valve as the Deck gets closer to launch.

I think the motivation for sending dev kits goes beyond compatibility and performance testing. Their handheld has a lot of unique aspects about how the controller works and having one on you gives you a lot better sense of how well things will work and what combinations of the multiple input types they support you may want to use. The steam controller would get you a little closer, but even that will be different enough.

Yeah, the power draw, or lack thereof is really something for the kind of power this is projected to have.

on a similar note, Valve continues to update the page for the Tech Specs of the Steam Deck, this time confirming a 128-bit Bus for the LPDDR5 ram.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

According to what others were saying, that's 88GB/s of total Bandwidth. Very respectable for a device like this. Not on the level of Xbox Series, or PS5, but given the type of system we're dealing with, that's good to hear.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:47 AM, imthesoldier said:

There’s some good news for you then. 

if you sign up on EVGA’s website, you can select a 3080 like you want, and it’ll automatically put you in a queue, and will notify when your spot is up. You then have an 8 hour window to purchase the GPU, or you lose your spot, and it goes back into the queue. 

Best part is you pay msrp on it, or very close to it. Mind you, this process WILL take months, probably at least 6-9 months depending on stock. 

I put myself on the queue for a 3060 ti back in March, and I’ve still yet to receive a notice when my queue is up. I may not even buy one at this point now that I have the Steam Deck on reserve. 

That's certainly better than other retailers but Valve and Apple will literally just take your order and ship it when they can.

22 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

GPD Max is gonna go up for preorders on July 29th. Intel and AMD options.

Those prices. Valve says they want other manufacturers to join the handheld market and use SteamOS but manufacturers are gonna struggle to match Valve’s pricing. 

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
160d0ea47303bd7eb364c7bcf686286b5feafb16
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Welcome to the Steam Big Picture Group! Big Picture features the Steam Store, your Library of games, and your Community of friends, chat and feeds, all in a full-screen...

About time that got a refresh.  I’ll still be sticking with my Launchbox setup though.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Those prices. Valve says they want other manufacturers to join the handheld market and use SteamOS but manufacturers are gonna struggle to match Valve’s pricing. 

And perf until RDNA2 makes it to laptop GPUs.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I get why Valve said it, but they damn well know that nobody will be able to compete with their pricing model.  They can take the console strategy and eat the costs given they own the storefront.  The only others who could do that are Microsoft and Epic.  Companies like Dell have to turn a profit up front as they have no other way to recoup the costs.  I'm sure they're looking at the interest to consider the release of the Alienware UFO, but it'll very much be a boutique item with some flashier features to try to entice those with deeper pockets.

Just now, stepee said:

Man looking at them holding it, it looks so much more sleek and like an actual handheld than something like the old gpd’s shell. It’s huge but it’s not that thick for a portable pc, this thing is so fucking exciting lll.

There are perks to a handheld designed by a team NOT working out of a shipping container on a dock somewhere in Shenzhen China! :p

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

There are perks to a handheld designed by a team NOT working out of a shipping container on a dock somewhere in Shenzhen China! :p

Yeah, non ironic “bless their hearts” out to GPD for trying but it’s like we’ve been playing the failed prototypes for the final actual device we wanted in the deck.

This is that point in this type of devices timeline where I think you’ll finally be able to recommend one without several paragraphs of caveats.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, non ironic “bless their hearts” out to GPD for trying but it’s like we’ve been playing the failed prototypes for the final actual device we wanted in the deck.

This is that point in this type of devices timeline where I think you’ll finally be able to recommend one without several paragraphs of caveats.

Exactly! Just imagine not having to discuss how to undervolt your CPU game by game! That's some fancy talk right there! :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Exactly! Just imagine not having to discuss how to undervolt your CPU game by game! That's some fancy talk right there! :lol:

Wow if that is the case, either you or stepee will be providing remote support. 

customer service spn GIF

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yes this will play Warframe exactly like I want to play it! Plenty of buttons, precise ways to aim and joysticks for navigation. Thanks for that video super excited about the controls... in the future I want a PC to hook up to my TV and this will be a great controller for that (will set up the touchscreen as a keyboard).

On 7/27/2021 at 4:02 AM, DPCyric said:

Yes this will play Warframe exactly like I want to play it! Plenty of buttons, precise ways to aim and joysticks for navigation. Thanks for that video super excited about the controls... in the future I want a PC to hook up to my TV and this will be a great controller for that (will set up the touchscreen as a keyboard).

Wait you can do that? Use it as a game pad setting the screen to a keyboard or other buttons and what not to play your main pc?

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Wait you can do that? Use it as a game pad setting the screen to a keyboard or other buttons and what not to play your main pc?

They haven't said that but considering it is a PC device I'm sure someone will implement that feature.