Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

1 minute ago, stepee said:

You usually want to play with wattage on these too. Not sure how that’ll work here but usually you can make your own compromises between performance and battery life.

At 15-20w, this thing truly is a beast of a machine in Performance per Watt terms. And I think in a lot of ways, that's what intrigues me most about a system like this. I'm not interested as much in Glorious PC Master Race PCs that have dual 3090s with 128GB of Ram, and a Threadripper Pro that probably altogether outputs at maybe 1200-1500watts, or some crazy figure. 

33 minutes ago, The def star said:

So just based on this thread a lot of our usual PC people are buying this but I'm watching the Digital Foundry video at the moment and I'm concerned about performance. It looks like this is weaker than an Xbox Series S. What kind of performance do you guys expect to get out of this thing @Mr.Vic20 @stepee? From the videos everything seems to be running at 30fps. You guys think this thing can put out AAA games at a good 60fps?

The Steam Deck screen has ~12% the amount of pixels of a 4k screen -- and 13-16% of the GPU power of a SeX or a PS5.  So, speaking very roughly, the Steam Deck should be able to play a AAA console game with the same compromises as a PS5/SeX does from 4k/60.  (i.e. if a SeX was running at an upscaled 1440p/30 -- this directionally would run at 533p).  However, with last gen games -- you should get relatively close to PS4 title performance -- slightly higher due to lower resolution.

15 minutes ago, The def star said:

So just based on this thread a lot of our usual PC people are buying this but I'm watching the Digital Foundry video at the moment and I'm concerned about performance. It looks like this is weaker than an Xbox Series S. What kind of performance do you guys expect to get out of this thing @Mr.Vic20 @stepee? From the videos a lot of the games seems to be running at 30fps. You guys think this thing can put out AAA games at a good 60fps?

Yeah, the biggest thing that worried me about their write up was their expectation that good performance would require some amount of developer buy-in. Even targeting 800p, I'd expect the Series S to look and run considerably better in nearly every case. If the Series S runs it at 60 fps I'd expect 30 fps for the same game at a similar or slightly lower settings.

It's pushing less than half the TFLOPs, using one fifth the power draw, and with the exception of some specific vulkan games, be lacking in almost any of the low level optimizations you get on a console. It is pushing only 50% the resolution (assuming the Series S targets 1080p), but even with that I'd expect a very sub Series S quality performance.

If you're interested in a specific game, I'd look at ProtonDB to have some sense of how well it's been optimized. Maybe the existence of the Steam Deck will lead to a significant uptick in Proton compatibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm happy for you guys that are looking forward to this. How's it compare technically against the Switch?

It's still ARM vs. x86, so comparing directly is tricky, even in FLOP terms. But the Steam Deck is much more powerful than the Switch in that whereas the Tegra X1 could run Doom 2016 at incredibly low settings at 540p 30fps in handheld mode, this Steam Deck with its custom AMD APU should be able to do Med-to-High settings at 60fps easily I would think.

Someone else could correct me on that though.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm happy for you guys that are looking forward to this. How's it compare technically against the Switch?

Strengthen Dragon Ball GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

It's still ARM vs. x86, so comparing directly is tricky, even in FLOP terms. But the Steam Deck is much more powerful than the Switch in that whereas it could run Doom 2016 at incredibly low settings at 540p 30fps in handheld mode, this Steam Deck should be able to do Med-to-High settings at 60fps easily I would think.

Someone else could correct me on that though.

It is probably close to a 1050Ti which can run Doom 2016 at 720p/90 at Ultra settings.

• Thanks 1

I’m more interested in buying it to signal that there is a market for higher powered handhelds. Would be nice to see Valve more regularly upgrade the hardware given the way PC games can be customized for performance across many different hardware configurations

Just now, sblfilms said:

I’m more interested in buying it to signal that there is a market for higher powered handhelds. Would be nice to see Valve more regularly upgrade the hardware given the way PC games can be customized for performance across many different hardware configurations

Maybe Nintendo could learn a thing or two about software support across generations with this...

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It's a relatively custom APU -- probably with AMD leveraging the investment money from MS/Sony/Valve.  I would bet on an upgrade every 2-3 years (probably linked to the console mid-cycle upgrades).

There is also the fact that streaming should work quite well on this device. Also, I'm thinking FSR could help here, at least a bit.  Truth be told though, I'm support it because A.) I'm a hardware junkie and B.) I want to see steam deck 2, 3, and so on. This is the chance for portable PC gaming to become main stream-ish and I am on board after years of buying questionable hardware from small engineering teams out of Japan and China.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

There is also the fact that streaming should work quite well on this device. Also, I'm thinking FSR could help here, at least a bit.  Truth be told though, I'm support it because A.) I'm a hardware junkie and B.) I want to see steam deck 2, 3, and so on. This is the chance for portable PC gaming to become main stream-ish and I am on board after years of buying questionable hardware from small engineering teams out of Japan and China.

I was chatting with some friends on Discord about FSR, and I actually wonder if at those low resolutions, you might end up being CPU bottlenecked due to it being a software solution instead of nVidia's hardware-based DLSS.

3 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I was chatting with some friends on Discord about FSR, and I actually wonder if at those low resolutions, you might end up being CPU bottlenecked due to it being a software solution instead of nVidia's hardware-based DLSS.

Has there been any real technical performance data released on FSR yet?

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Has there been any real technical performance data released on FSR yet?

I know there have been some videos from Digital Foundry, Linus Tech Tips, and some others, but I want to say they're normally using high-end CPUs in their tests to avoid any sort of bottleneck to begin with, and look at purely from a visual, and performance perspective rather than hardware usage.

It'll be interesting to see what the next few months holds though.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm on board for those reasons and reason C) Anything to increase gaming support on Linux would be awesome. I'd love to run Linux as a single OS, but gaming prevents that from being plausible. Right now I have computers with all 3 major OS running (Windows, Linux, MacOs)

Yeah I was pondering FSR here but I don’t think it will offer any actual benefit on this thing. 

Really if you set your sites on AAA current gen 720p/30 you will be very happy with this device I think. Of course you will also get some stuff running at a nice 60fps as well depending on the game.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah I was pondering FSR here but I don’t think it will offer any actual benefit on this thing. 

Really if you set your sites on AAA current gen 720p/30 you will be very happy with this device I think. Of course you will also get some stuff running at a nice 60fps as well depending on the game.

I'm already used to playing PC games at 30fps on my rig right now, so all I'm gaining is fidelity, and couch convenience. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man that was a quick pivot to 2022! Well, guess that is early next years toy then. 

While Valve is rich they just don't have the know how to distro massive quantities of hardware like a Sony or an MS (make your pandemic jokes here!). I would expect further delays or a staggered launch with units shipping in waves for several months next year. 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

While Valve is rich they just don't have the know how to distro massive quantities of hardware like a Sony or an MS (make your pandemic jokes here!). I would expect further delays or a staggered launch with units shipping in waves for several months next year. 

I was hoping the Index would provide them with valuable experience to make this a smoother launch. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I was hoping the Index would provide them with valuable experience to make this a smoother launch. 

With the exception of Gabe, Valve strikes me as the real world inspiration for the Gryzzl from Parks and Rec! 

Seriously though, if you can indeed upgrade the nvme then I’m just happier! That just means I eventually have a 2tb one which fucking rules and then someone can upgrade their 256gb with my 512gb and then use that 256gb as a pc os drive, it’s win win win.