Teaser for Pixar's next movie Turning Red is out...

36 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I can’t tell if I’m growing out of Pixar/Disney(at age 40) or if they really have had just a lot of crap and boring ideas for the last 10 years 

I think they've lost a bit of their magic. While they still make decent movies, with some downright brilliant (Coco) they aren't consistently great the way they used to be. 

22 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I think they've lost a bit of their magic. While they still make decent movies, with some downright brilliant (Coco) they aren't consistently great the way they used to be. 

I didn’t even like Coco to be honest. I think Moana is the only movie that’s stood out to me for awhile

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How many Pixar movies have been dumped on Disney+ now? All of the Disney animated movies have received proper theatrical releases and the Pixar movies have become streaming exclusives. I heard last year that there was unrest at the studio over the treatment of two Pixar movies in a row skipping theaters. Now it’s gonna be three.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

great film, had a great time giving my daughter and wife the side eye every time something in the film paralleled them..plus the dad came through in the end

Yeah, normally after I watch a movie like this, I recommend it to my sister and my niece… who is now 13… and very emotional… and sometimes explodes for no good reason. Not sure how it would go down in that house at the moment. :lol:

This is easily one of Pixar's best within the last decade. I feel like they've been starting to become a little too beholden to that "Pixar formula" but this one feels very fresh and as a unique and stylized aesthetic.

And from someone who grew up with an overly-controlling mom, this movie has a great message.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:52 PM, sblfilms said:

The treatment of Pixar is really strange. They have put all the DFA and even Ron’s Gone Wrong into theaters over the last year, but not Pixar stuff.

I read they've been using the Pixar movies to trying pump D+ numbers. Them moving the movies to D+ didn't change their marketing budget, they've been advertising the hell out of the stuff. 

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I haven’t seen this movie yet, but online reactions to it are a litmus test for horrible white people and people who clutch their pearls while screaming “won’t someone think of the children!”

only sickos think that puberty, crushes, emotions, etc happen before being an adult 

:sickos:

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I haven’t seen this movie yet, but online reactions to it are a litmus test for horrible white people and people who clutch their pearls while screaming “won’t someone think of the children!”

That is funny - because it is one of the most racist things I have read online in a minute.  

I've heard speculation that Chapek doesn't doesn't value Pixar because their movies, outside of Toy Story and Cars, doesn't sell the same amount of merchandise as those from Disney Animation. Which is why the last few Pixar flicks have been exclusive. Could have some truth to it but funnily enough Turning Red is about to sell a shit ton of red panda plushies. Hell, even I want a plushie now.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

What complaints have you seen? I've seen a few parents say the film is saying kids should disobey their parents, but they are obviously missing a lot of nuance from the message because it's definitely not saying that.

1 minute ago, Kamusha said:

What complaints have you seen? I've seen a few parents say the film is saying kids should disobey their parents, but they are obviously missing a lot of nuance from the message because it's definitely not saying that.

That it sexualized children, that the content is too mature for the intended audience, that the main character isn’t relatable because she’s Asian.

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

That it sexualized children, that the content is too mature for the intended audience, that the main character isn’t relatable because she’s Asian.

It so lame conservatives are making a big deal about a movie depicting puberty. The average cis-girl has her first period at 12. That’s still a child and they should know about it by then.

One of my students is fifth-teen and she was telling me that she wished more stories normalized periods. She said it only makes it scarier for children to not mention them. Another one of my students is ten, I’m assuming too young to experience what the movie is alluding to, and she loved it so much she watched it three times.