Teaser for Pixar's next movie Turning Red is out...

8 hours ago, Kamusha said:

It so lame conservatives are making a big deal about a movie depicting puberty. The average cis-girl has her first period at 12. That’s still a child and they should know about it by then.

One of my students is fifth-teen and she was telling me that she wished more stories normalized periods. She said it only makes it scarier for children to not mention them. Another one of my students is ten, I’m assuming too young to experience what the movie is alluding to, and she loved it so much she watched it three times.

My daughter is 10 and has been cycling for months now. Our boys (12 and 15) know about it and what is going on. They also know mom doesn’t have periods anymore because she had a hysterectomy.

It is super weird to me that basic body functions are taboo subjects for a lot of people, and I’m fairly conservative by most standards.

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My daughter is 10 and has been cycling for months now. Our boys (12 and 15) know about it and what is going on. They also know mom doesn’t have periods anymore because she had a hysterectomy.

It is super weird to me that basic body functions are taboo subjects for a lot of people, and I’m fairly conservative by most standards.

i have a friend that gets grossed out whenever periods get talked about. It's pretty weird and I dont understand his reaction at all. 

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

And so many cis-girls are frightened when they have their first period because it's never discussed. My student was telling me she wished there was a movie like this before she had her first.

And the complaint is that by depicting periods that its sexualizing young girls. I truly don't get it. It's the type of complaint that says a lot more about the person making it than anything else really.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, johnny said:

i have a friend that gets grossed out whenever periods get talked about. It's pretty weird and I dont understand his reaction at all. 

I know guys that refuse to buy pads or tampons for their girlfriends, wives, or their own damn daughters. I don't get it.

I finally got the chance to watch it. Seriously, one of Pixar's better films in years. It's fantastic.

I can see why a bunch of conservative weirdos weren't happy with this movie. It normalized the idea that girls can like, totally have crushes on boys or, gasp, find members of the opposite sex attractive. Mei had googoo eyes for a boy she never really interacts with again and fantasizes over a boy she didn't really know and had no real interest in. Also, douche bro Tyler is actually maybe gay and is instantly forgiven and welcomed into the fold. Conservatives like nothing more than otherizing and this movie was all about accepting people for who/what they are.

I hope Disney and Pixar does more like this and Encanto. Not everything they produce has to exclusively target 5 hear olds.

36 minutes ago, ort said:

Were a bunch of people really upset about this or did a tiny handful of weirdos say something  dumb and then the blowback was loud?

The internet has a way of obfuscating the true level of outrage.

Eh, enough to drop the audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes down into the low 70s. It's mostly a right wing thing, so if you aren't in that world or don't have much conservative family, you likely won't hear much about it. My family just happens to be very much conservative. I've got a lot of male relatives that are of the "I don't buy pads" variety. Hell, my father was in that boat for a huge chunk of his life. I don't know how many times I've had to go and buy pads and bottles of Midol because he was too embarrassed to.

The biggest complaints I've seen in church circles is Mei choosing to live with a "demon", the movie putting a spotlight on "false religions", and Tyler being gay in a kids' movie.

I mean, we never get any sort of confirmation about Tyler, but nobody can convince me otherwise.

Really enjoyable film..

as the father of an asian teen who had a thing for a boy band the pure enjoyment came from me looking at the screen to knowingly staring at her and having her freak out at the noticeable similarities… the wife got the same treatment..…..

then the dad is the understated hero.. yeah me likey this film