First trailer for Encanto (Disney Animation's 60th feature film), releasing November

The Disney Animation/Pixar formula is starting to wear severely thin with me, but obviously I'm not the target audience. The movies are fun, but I'd like another Up or Inside Out-level film. Like, to me, Coco and Moana were good movies, but my wife and I could see every plot beat and character turn a mile away because we understand the formula too well now. I was hoping Soul would be it but it wasn't. 

On 7/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, Greatoneshere said:

The Disney Animation/Pixar formula is starting to wear severely thin with me, but obviously I'm not the target audience. The movies are fun, but I'd like another Up or Inside Out-level film. Like, to me, Coco and Moana were good movies, but my wife and I could see every plot beat and character turn a mile away because we understand the formula too well now. I was hoping Soul would be it but it wasn't. 

Still gotta watch Soul, but Coco actually surprised me.

Spoiler

I figured they were gonna eventually accept his love of music, but his “dad” being a murderer took me completely by surprise. I figured he probably wasn’t his dad, but I didn’t see that kind of dark turn coming.

Him singing to his aunt I knew was going to happen, but the scene was pretty damn poignant and hit me harder than most Pixar films.

Honestly one of my favorite Pixar films is Toy Story 4, which seem to have some of the best of the old school sensibilities and new school.

Spoiler

Do you know what actually surprised me? The fact that there was no villain. Because the person who took that position for part of the movie ended up being the one to talk her problems out. A wonderful message to kids but honestly one heck of a message in general.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, Greatoneshere said:

You foresaw that Moana was basically the first ever Disney movie in history to not actually have a villain? Good on ya!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Still gotta watch Soul, but Coco actually surprised me.

Hide contents

I figured they were gonna eventually accept his love of music, but his “dad” being a murderer took me completely by surprise. I figured he probably wasn’t his dad, but I didn’t see that kind of dark turn coming.

Him singing to his aunt I knew was going to happen, but the scene was pretty damn poignant and hit me harder than most Pixar films.

Honestly one of my favorite Pixar films is Toy Story 4, which seem to have some of the best of the old school sensibilities and new school.

Hide contents

Do you know what actually surprised me? The fact that there was no villain. Because the person who took that position for part of the movie ended up being the one to talk her problems out. A wonderful message to kids but honestly one heck of a message in general.

Coco was good! My wife loves it. I love Dia de los Muertos, always have, I love the culture of the dead that surrounds it, all that stuff. So I was particularly primed for Coco. But the reveal of the villain, etc. was all sort of predictable to me. Again, beautiful film, great music, emotional. I know some people get hit hard by the grandmother stuff, which I don't relate to at all, so it could be that I'm missing out.

I will admit, Toy Story 4 was really good. I don't know if I liked it more than 3, but it was a lot of fun. I think it helped that my wife and I watched everything Toy Story building up to it so we were set for 4. Again though, the level of Up or Inside Out or WALL-E? I'm not so sure. I go back to those movies every now and then, I've seen Toy Story 4 once and think that's good enough. I do agree the message in the film (and all these films) is strong, and that's something these films always handle well.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

You foresaw that Moana was basically the first ever Disney movie in history to not actually have a villain? Good on ya!

Hahaha no it's not that. It just didn't have enough ooomph for me I guess. The openings to WALL-E and Up were amazing. I watch Moana and it's like Frozen or Tangled for me. Good music, fun vibe, solid jokes, some emotional poignancy, but it didn't gut me like parts of Inside Out. I'm not saying I guessed everything in the movie, just that you see the general arc of things. There's more to the big guy than first lets on, the girl will realize her independence and strength, etc. That kind of stuff. A part I loved about The Princess and the Frog is that it takes hard work to succeed - that felt honest and rare for a kids film to admit. Movies like Coco and Moana are emotional and diverse and all of that, but they just didn't hit me strongly like previous Pixar and Disney films have. 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hahaha no it's not that. It just didn't have enough ooomph for me I guess. The openings to WALL-E and Up were amazing. I watch Moana and it's like Frozen or Tangled for me. Good music, fun vibe, solid jokes, some emotional poignancy, but it didn't gut me like parts of Inside Out. I'm not saying I guessed everything in the movie, just that you see the general arc of things. There's more to the big guy than first lets on, the girl will realize her independence and strength, etc. That kind of stuff. A part I loved about The Princess and the Frog is that it takes hard work to succeed - that felt honest and rare for a kids film to admit. Movies like Coco and Moana are emotional and diverse and all of that, but they just didn't hit me strongly like previous Pixar and Disney films have. 

Yeah I have to agree. Most of Disney's and Pixar's movies lately haven't had the visceral emotional discharge that some of their greatest films have. Although I think I liked Soul better than you did. Despite the parts that definitely sagged and the predictable plot points, the emotional core of appreciating life definitely hit hard for me, and I liked that quite a bit. Also I like jazz music. :p 

I also agree that Toy Story 3 was better than 4, but 4 was still better than it had any right to be, considering how unnecessary it felt when it was announced.

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is finally up on Disney+. It has nothing to do with Christmas, but makes for a really great holiday movie. I quite enjoyed it. My kids weren't too into it. I think the story was a bit too over their heads. This one does not skew as young most Disney musicals.

We watched this one today as well!

I REALLY enjoyed this one quite a bit and thought it was definitely a bit more "mature" than most of Disney's recent animated fare!

• 2 weeks later...

This movie surprised me by how much it worked for me. If Moana was Lin-Manuel writing music to fit within the typical Disney musical framework, Encato feels like a Lin-Manuel musical adapted from the stage by Disney. Everything from the dense storytelling in each song, everything taking place in one location, and the conflict being resolved in a song is all very theatrical and very much the influence of Lin.

1 hour ago, Komusha said:

This movie surprised me by how much it worked for me. If Moana was Lin-Manuel writing music to fit within the typical Disney musical framework, Encato feels like a Lin-Manuel musical adapted from the stage by Disney. Everything from the dense storytelling in each song, everything taking place in one location, and the conflict being resolved in a song is all very theatrical and very much the influence of Lin.

Yes. On top of that, this movie had some really great dance choreography. They really leaned hard into the music he wrote for this.

I'm really looking forward to see what he has in store The Little Mermaid even if I always assumed Disney's live action films are mostly forgettable. I'm just imagining the fun he'll have with Daveed Diggs as Sebastian.

• 3 weeks later...
ARTICLE-HERO-Viral-News-2022-01-21T08533
WWW.MOTHER.LY

Apparently, Disney wasn't initially on board with Luisa's muscles in 'Encanto.' Little girls are also demanding more Luisa merch.

Disney didn't want Luisa and made less merch thinking girls would want only the pretty doll. Girls aren't interested in the pretty sister and no one can find Luisa merch because of this decision. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:
Screenshot-2022-01-19-at-13.10.17.png
WWW.HITC.COM

Encanto's Luisa has earned quite the fanbase, but the lack of merch for the character has left the Disney-obsessed feeling bitterly disappointed.

Luisa is my youngest's favorite and her song, Surface Pressure, is my all my kids' favorite song from the movie. There are like zero toys for her outside of group sets. I get that Isabella has a whole redemption arc, but she was pretty much an antagonist right next to abuela for more than half the film. I don't know why Disney thought girls would be lining up to buy her dolls. Dolls that completely ignore the character's own song. If there were Luisa dolls, I would have already bought one. My youngest, she's three and mostly made of marshmallow fluff, is running around the house picking stuff up to show off how strong she is.

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:
8eafe48a4141f36a0d7f2363c8b06da4.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

It took nearly 30 years, but the Encanto hit has brought Disney back to the top of the Hot 100

I have no idea what this means any more. 

Billboard includes streaming these days, so this should includes numbers from Spotify, Apple, and YouTube.

It's well deserved. I'm shocked a Disney song hasn't tracked since A Whole New World. I'm guessing their last big hit, Let It Go, didn't quite appeal to all age groups the way a lot of the Encanto music does.