Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Keyser_Soze

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t think Bacon’s posts are that weird in this one idk.

I think you're right. If something looks good but not quite $60 the answer shouldn't be "buy it" it should be "don't buy it"

If I went to the grocery store and there was a $60 watermelon but I know there are other watermelons that are like it, cheaper and just as good, you don't buy the $60 watermelon.

Getting back to actually discussing the game... 

I wonder how Kraid is back. Must be a clone, right? Zebes blew up! There's no way he survived that. 

I think at this point I'm done watching more trailers. I know I'm picking this up day one, so I might just go on a media blackout from here on out. 

I do have to say though that the more I think about it, the less I like the heavy use of black in the foreground. I understand using it is probably to keep the game at 60fps, but I think it's being overused a bit, which creates a lot of dead space on the screen. There is a lot of screen real estate that ends up just being blank. I think they could use a bit of edging that vignettes to black. 

spacer.png

Like look at that. That's a bit much for such a tiny spot. If that square block in front of Samus had the texture of whatever it's made of it would look better, and if the surrounding area also had that much space around the edges before fading to black it would be better. 

spacer.png

That's just a bit too much wasted space. 

Obviously 60fps is ideal, and preferred, but surely they could have used a bit of texturing by the edges I think. 

I dunno man, I think only the Mario and Zelda devs know the secret sauce to make Switch games not look and run like ass, and even then you have to exclude the fucking original Game Boy remake of Link's Awakening because it frequently drops to annoyingly low FPS. Everyone else seems to be hindered by awful performance and ultra low quality visuals. Bravely Default 2, despite being a turn-based JRPG, runs so badly that the unresponsive menus alone sapped away my will to live.

I’m interested to see if Nintendo does their thing where they look at the landscape if a genre and ignore it and just do it their own way, or if it will just be a solid one of those. The metroid aesthetic is appealing enough to me that I won’t care either way, but I kinda hope is the former.  

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Getting back to actually discussing the game... 

I wonder how Kraid is back. Must be a clone, right? Zebes blew up! There's no way he survived that. 

I dunno, we’ve had mecha and x-Ridley. I think they confirmed the X parasite is back? I didn’t read the article so not sure if it’s just an assumption or not.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

I dunno, we’ve had mecha and x-Ridley. I think they confirmed the X parasite is back? I didn’t read the article so not sure if it’s just an assumption or not.

Clone or X copy is what I'm thinking. Ridley was cloned on the Bottle Ship, so it stands to reason that the Federation has Kraid's DNA as well, and I'm willing to bet that the Federation is involved with what's going on on ZDR. I do however think they need to step beyond using Ridley and Kraid over and over again, especially for any game post Super. Kind of cheapens their appearance, especially for anything after Super since Zebes blew up, so that should have been their final deaths.

12 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m interested to see if Nintendo does their thing where they look at the landscape if a genre and ignore it and just do it their own way, or if it will just be a solid one of those. The metroid aesthetic is appealing enough to me that I won’t care either way, but I kinda hope is the former.  

Most Metroidvanias today heavily draw on RPG mechanics, skill trees and/or currency.  Avoiding that stuff already puts in a smaller crowd, IMO.

Being chased by some invincible thing narrows it down even further.  Only Metroid Fusion and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within fit that bill.   I am a little concerned it will retread Fusion too much.  Though Fusion-but-better could still be a good thing, especially 20 years later.

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

so are the RPG mechanics, leveling up and skill trees the “-vania” part of the formula? cause im ok without that crap… i always did enjoy the minimalist storytelling too..  very calculated and interesting

Castlevania Symphony of the Night introduced that, and helped make the genre popular, but really a Metroidvania refers to level design of an interconnected world that you have areas to backtrack and come back to when you have a new power up to progress where you couldn't before. 

2 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

so are the RPG mechanics, leveling up and skill trees the “-vania” part of the formula? cause im ok without that crap… i always did enjoy the minimalist storytelling too..  very calculated and interesting

Yes.  Technically, the Metroid games shouldn't be included in it IMO.  But popular use determines it.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night introduced that, and helped make the genre popular, but really a Metroidvania refers to level design of an interconnected world that you have areas to backtrack and come back to when you have a new power up to progress where you couldn't before. 

Then the -vania implies nothing.  It didn’t popularize that design.  Metroid did.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Then the -vania implies nothing.  It didn’t popularize that design.  Metroid did.

From what I've seen, the earlier Castlevania games aren't typically included in the Metroidvania genre. SOTN was the reason for the -vania part.

Its a super vague, not well defined, genre regardless.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, Bacon said:

Because I can't just buy every game I want. Just get the game! Idiot. It is like asking why I haven't gotten a $4000 PC. Well, I didn't know I could just get it. I didn't know money wasn't real and that the price tag was more of a suggestion. The amount of playtime I can get out of a game is very important. I spend could 60 on something that lasts two days or 60 on something that last for weeks or even months. Who gives a shit? I fuckin do. Can't ya fuckin tell? 

Just get it. Just don't don't die. Just be smart. Just don't drink water. Just do anything you want because just.

In the amount of time you are thinking about, complaining about, reading about, and posting about this, you could have easily whored yourself out for $100+...

7 minutes ago, Nokt said:

From what I've seen, the earlier Castlevania games aren't typically included in the Metroidvania genre. SOTN was the reason for the -vania part.

Its a super vague, not well defined, genre regardless.

Yup, I know.  It’s still odd to think that SOTN popularized the genre when it actually didn’t sell that great.  The original NES Metroid outsold it roughly m 2:1.  And inspired a bunch of other 8-bit games too like Blaster Master, Rygar, Monster Boy III, etc.

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yup, I know.  It’s still odd to think that SOTN popularized the genre when it actually didn’t sell that great.  The original NES Metroid outsold it roughly m 2:1.  And inspired a bunch of other 8-bit games too like Blaster Master, Rygar, Monster Boy III, etc.

SOTN took inspiration from Super Metroid, and many following Castlevania games followed suit, helping this subgenre grow. Many other Metroidvania games take inspiration from Super Metroid and SOTN, hence why the subgenre is called Metroidvania because they take inspiration from Metroid and Castlevania games, particularly those two. Technically the -vania suffix is redundant since it all goes back to Metroid, so really we should just be calling these games Metroid-like games, just like how we call games Zelda-like, Rogue-like, or Souls-like. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

SOTN took inspiration from Super Metroid, and many following Castlevania games followed suit, helping this subgenre grow. Many other Metroidvania games take inspiration from Super Metroid and SOTN, hence why the subgenre is called Metroidvania because they take inspiration from Metroid and Castlevania games, particularly those two. Technically the -vania suffix is redundant since it all goes back to Metroid, so really we should just be calling these games Metroid-like games, just like how we call games Zelda-like, Rogue-like, or Souls-like. 

That would be more consistent, or at the very least avoid the oddity of describing Metroid games as Metroidvanias.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, I had known of SOTN before I knew of Metroid. I didn't know of Metroid until Prime. 

Impressive, considering Samus was a poster child in two Smash Bros games by then.  Also given Super Metroid’s notoriety.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Impressive, considering Samus was a poster child in two Smash Bros games by then.  Also given Super Metroid’s notoriety.

Well, I was only 8 when the first Smash Bros came out. I didn't know all the characters in that game. Had no clue who Ness or Falcon was either. Not sure if I knew who Falcon was before F-Zero GX game out either. 

Well, I probably kind of knew of their games for both Falcon and Samus, since they have like the trophies and shit I think, but I had never seen any of their games in action. I had much more exposure to Castlevania. I watched my dad play the fuck out of Super Castlevania and I watched him beat SOTN, and I tried to play Castlevania 64. 

33 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m just hear to remind everyone that Lords of Shadow was a great fucking game and was an infinitely better God of War than God of War. 

carry on. 

I can't say that I disagree in the least!

The first Lords of Shadow game is freakin' great, if maybe a tad bit long for its own good.