Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Keyser_Soze

I always loved how the Prime series handled Chozo lore, so I'm excited for more Chozo in the mainline series.

I'll be honest, this game is coming out at the perfect time. Almost everything is getting delayed to 2022, so there should be very little in the way of competition for Metroid Dread. Not to mention, there hasn't really been an install base on a Nintendo system more suited for this game. If this game doesn't do well especially during the golden age of Metroidvanias, I think the series is dead. If Nintendo knocks it out of the park this could be what revitalizes the whole franchise.

What? They're just saying that because this year marks the 35th anniversary of Metroid. It would be like for any sequel to say it's "X years in the making". Sounds like Sakamoto already has plans on where to take the series after this game, so I'm sure if it does well we'll get a sequel in 3-5 years time.

• 2 weeks later...

share-tw.jpg
METROID.NINTENDO.COM

Join bounty hunter Samus Aran as she escapes a deadly alien world plagued by a mechanical menace in the Metroid Dread game for the Nintendo Switch™ system.

Samus arrives on planet ZDR

The new trailer shows Samus under attack from powerful enemies and new terrors on planet ZDR—indeed, a mysterious figure strikes soon after she lands.

~Transmission from the dev team~

If you’ve watched the Glimpse of Dread clips, you may have noticed that the place where Samus finds herself under attack is the same place as where she unexpectedly collapsed after landing on the planet.

Yes, you guessed it right—Samus was defeated by a mysterious opponent and lost almost all of her abilities. As a result, her defeat caused—as one might say—"ability amnesia.”

How was Samus spared from certain death and why was she left behind? Please play the Metroid Dread game to discover the truth with your own eyes!

Who stands before Samus?

The figure who attacked Samus appears to be a Chozo. The Chozo were a highly intelligent and technologically advanced species who believed their purpose to be that of bringing peace throughout the galaxy. Eventually, the Chozo civilization reached a breaking point, and living Chozo are now rarely seen.

The Chozo are known to be peaceful and mild mannered, but Galactic Federation records indicate the existence of “Chozo warriors.”

While many remnants of Chozo civilization have appeared in prior Metroid games—including technologies and statues—this is the first game in which an actual, living Chozo appears. And just who is this Chozo that battles Samus so fiercely?

In addition, the video shows what appears to be a Chozo warrior as well as combat robots with a striking Chozo resemblance. They will pose a formidable challenge for Samus.

Abilities on display

The video introduces several of Samus’ new and returning abilities and weapons. Let’s take a closer look at them.

• Flash Shift (Aeion Ability)
    Samus can travel a set distance—forward or backward, while on the ground or in the air—in an instant. This can be done consecutively up to three times. Handy for exploration and combat alike.

• Pulse Radar (Aeion Ability)
    With this ability, Samus can emit special soundwaves to scan her immediate surroundings and pinpoint breakable blocks.

• Grapple Beam
    A rope-like beam that can connect to specific points. This lets Samus swing across gaps or manipulate parts of her environment, such as pulling on an obstacle. She can also fire it at blue magnetic surfaces, pull herself to the point of contact, and latch on.

• Ice Missile
    A missile that has a freezing effect. Samus can easily destroy frozen enemies with follow-up attacks. Some enemies can even be used as platforms.

• Storm Missile
    This lets Samus lock on to and fire multiple small missiles in succession. Set up to five targets at a time using Free Aim, then unleash it to fire three missiles at each target.

• Cross Bomb
    This powerful bomb explodes in four directions.

• Speed Booster
    After a running start, Samus will pick up the pace and run at great speed. She can then smash through certain obstacles and deal damage to enemies in her path.

• Shinespark
    This ability can only be used once Samus has reached her Speed Booster state. She can send herself soaring on a straight trajectory in the direction of her choosing. When soaring, she can blast through certain obstacles and deal great damage to enemies.

• Screw Attack
    During a spin jump, Samus surrounds herself with a powerful energy that can damage enemies and shatter certain obstacles she leaps into.

There are so many new and returning abilities revealed in this trailer! As it may be difficult to wrap your head around everything shown if you only watch it once, we suggest watching the trailer an additional time after reading our commentary.

In particular, the abilities for traversal are much improved when compared to previous Metroid games, and we think you’ll be able to enjoy a variety of ways to explore the map with them.

For example, you can use Speed Booster in combination with wall jumping and sliding. The places where you can do this may surprise you, and we hope you try lots of different things on your adventure.

Even more powerful enemies

The trailer includes other notable scenes, too. For example, you can spot a giant monster that appears to be Kraid, a beast Samus has fought in previous games. You can also see robots created by the Chozo, as well as gigantic aquatic creatures.

Just like in previous games, there is a rich variety of enemies and bosses standing in Samus’ way. There are many different types of bosses, especially—key to victory against such enemies is to carefully observe their behaviors and create an appropriate attack plan.

In the next report

A closer look at the mysterious Chozo. Please look forward to it!

Dang, trailer 2 really sells the game. For the first few seconds I was put off by the Xbox 360 3D indie game graphics, but the gameplay looks fast and fun. It's just, no matter how good it is, I can't see myself paying a AAA price for a Metroidvania. It may have 3D graphics, but you still move in 2D. $40 bucks is the right price for this game based off this trailer.

When there are games like Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, and Salt & Sanctuary for half the cost or less, the price of Dread($60) seems a bit much. Unless it is a massive upgrade to the genre it just won't be worth the price. It would need to be significantly longer with out getting boring for one thing. Time is Money even in video games. And ultimately, your abilities probably won't be anything... How do I say this? New? Nothing you haven't seen before in these styles of games. A lack of innovative abilities. Just because they are new to Metroid, doesn't mean they are new. 

And I am really only saying all of that because of the premium price tag. I mean, the game looked really good in that trailer. The action looked fast paced and satisfying. It looked really good for $40. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best non-prime Metroid since Super Metroid. So, I'll get it but maybe not for years because of the price. 

I'll happily pay $60 for a great new 2D Metroid.

I'd pay $40 if it was alright, but too linear and short like Fusion.

I'd pay $20 if it was like Other M, destined for the bargain bin.

Just to mention it, Hollow Knight is a steal at its price tag.  I wouldn't expect any game in the genre to offer as much value as it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Trailer #2
6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'll happily pay $60 for a great new 2D Metroid.

I'd pay $40 if it was alright, but too linear and short like Fusion.

I'd pay $20 if it was like Other M, destined for the bargain bin.

Just to mention it, Hollow Knight is a steal at its price tag.  I wouldn't expect any game in the genre to offer as much value as it.

There are a lot of indie games that are just wildly underpriced, it’s nuts.

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Dang, trailer 2 really sells the game. For the first few seconds I was put off by the Xbox 360 3D indie game graphics, but the gameplay looks fast and fun. It's just, no matter how good it is, I can't see myself paying a AAA price for a Metroidvania. It may have 3D graphics, but you still move in 2D. $40 bucks is the right price for this game based off this trailer.

When there are games like Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, and Salt & Sanctuary for half the cost or less, the price of Dread($60) seems a bit much. Unless it is a massive upgrade to the genre it just won't be worth the price. It would need to be significantly longer with out getting boring for one thing. Time is Money even in video games. And ultimately, your abilities probably won't be anything... How do I say this? New? Nothing you haven't seen before in these styles of games. A lack of innovative abilities. Just because they are new to Metroid, doesn't mean they are new. 

And I am really only saying all of that because of the premium price tag. I mean, the game looked really good in that trailer. The action looked fast paced and satisfying. It looked really good for $40. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best non-prime Metroid since Super Metroid. So, I'll get it but maybe not for years because of the price. 

I’m intrigued by your Metroidvania economics. 

13 hours ago, Bacon said:

I think you are over thinking it. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

What is the it, and how am I over thinking it? What exactly is being over thought? 

If you think you’ll enjoy the game, why are you setting arbitrary rules about how much you think the game should cost? It’s $20 more than what you think it should cost…who gives a shit, frankly. Just get it and enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

If you think you’ll enjoy the game, why are you setting arbitrary rules about how much you think the game should cost? It’s $20 more than what you think it should cost…who gives a shit, frankly. Just get it and enjoy it. 

For $40 he gladly would!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Clearly you are not up to date on your Bacon lore. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Because I can't just buy every game I want. Just get the game! Idiot. It is like asking why I haven't gotten a $4000 PC. Well, I didn't know I could just get it. I didn't know money wasn't real and that the price tag was more of a suggestion. The amount of playtime I can get out of a game is very important. I spend could 60 on something that lasts two days or 60 on something that last for weeks or even months. Who gives a shit? I fuckin do. Can't ya fuckin tell? 

Just get it. Just don't don't die. Just be smart. Just don't drink water. Just do anything you want because just.

53 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Because I can't just buy every game I want. Just get the game! Idiot. It is like asking why I haven't gotten a $4000 PC. Well, I didn't know I could just get it. I didn't know money wasn't real and that the price tag was more of a suggestion. The amount of playtime I can get out of a game is very important. I spend could 60 on something that lasts two days or 60 on something that last for weeks or even months. Who gives a shit? I fuckin do. Can't ya fuckin tell? 

Just get it. Just don't don't die. Just be smart. Just don't drink water. Just do anything you want because just.

Jesus Christ man  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What? Don't come at me with the "just do it" shit when I want to but can't. I don't get how you even thought "Just get it" was a good response. 

There was literally nothing in your first post about a budgetary limitation. Like if you had sad I can’t afford that $20 fine, who am I to say no get it anyway that would be dumb.

But it was a thesis on what a game “should” cost based on genre and other games in a genre. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

There was literally nothing in your first post about a budgetary limitation.

If there wasn't a budgetary limitation that post has no point in being posted. Unless you have very strict principles, as long as you have the money you just get whatever you want. When you compare the value of games like that you either have to be poor or a penny pincher.  

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If there wasn't a budgetary limitation that post has no point in being posted. Unless you have very strict principles, as long as you have the money you just get whatever you want. When you compare the value of games like that you either have to be poor or a penny pincher.  

I’ve seen people make similar arguments for genres of games, indie games, what have you with no budgetary restrictions - just a standing policy of sorts where I’m not buying it out of principle because I don’t think it should cost that much.